MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i lost Chevalier Gaming 20 09-11-2011 07:07 PM
I LOST MY KEY, MAC ID, etc... sagar35 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-19-2010 05:53 PM
Lost iPod :( hsn_ Volunteering Opportunities 15 04-21-2010 07:30 PM
Chinese Kitten Killer! :S huzaifa47 General Discussion 28 07-30-2009 08:22 AM
LOST - last episode thejason Movies & Television 4 10-06-2006 11:42 PM

Lost Kitten

Old 06-27-2009 at 01:38 AM   #46
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

Also, older years still get in before the younger ones, so they can take up lower level electives before anyone else gets a chance.
UGGHHH!!!

That pisses me off so much. I'm going to be a total pain in the ass when I reach 3rd and 4th year, taking electives from people, but damn if it won't be sweet.
Old 06-27-2009 at 10:24 AM   #47
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
UGGHHH!!!

That pisses me off so much. I'm going to be a total pain in the ass when I reach 3rd and 4th year, taking electives from people, but damn if it won't be sweet.
I've decided that I'm going to pick popular electives next year and sell the seat to someone else for $$!

That's my Commerce degree working out for me!
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:05 AM   #48
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
That hardly matters when the faculties lock students from different faculties from selecting their courses, which sometimes aren't even required courses for anyone (i.e. Origins 2B03, every first year single language course -.-||).

Also, older years still get in before the younger ones, so they can take up lower level electives before anyone else gets a chance.
It's definitely a failed system, I'm not arguing against that. There should be seats reserved for people in the faculty/program of the elective. & some sort of waitlist should be implemented.

You're missing the point that younger students can always take those electives in the next year whereas upper year students may be graduating. And if it's not a required course for anyone, then why does it matter what year you take it in? I was frustrated during second and third year as most of my electives were taken by upper years, but you realize that once you're in 4th year that you're doing the exact same thing.

Quote:
I've decided that I'm going to pick popular electives next year and sell the seat to someone else for $$!
http://thesil.ca/?p=52
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:44 AM   #49
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I laughed so hard at that, I never knew people did that. Well, that is sort of cruel when you think about it. I'm sure that's going on even now -- but I wouldn't be caught dead paying 100 bucks. I got rent, food and books to worry about.
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:54 AM   #50
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

LOL. I would never pay someone else for a course. If the drop it and you add it a second to late , someone else got a course you want, the person made $100 easy and you just lost $100. Never thought something like this ever happened.
Old 06-27-2009 at 12:46 PM   #51
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
That hardly matters when the faculties lock students from different faculties from selecting their courses, which sometimes aren't even required courses for anyone (i.e. Origins 2B03, every first year single language course -.-||).

So is THAT what actually happened and the prof wasn't telling me the true story?

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...181 7&page=11

A brief summary of my emails with him is listed above...Now that really ticks me off

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-27-2009 at 05:38 PM   #52
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
http://thesil.ca/?p=52

“[The idea is] to develop an automatic waiting list which the administration could set up, so when you log onto SOLAR, you choose a class and that registers you in the waiting list. When a seat in that class becomes empty, it just goes to the next person and not the next random person online,” said Sharma. “I think it’s a perfect solution to avoid it from happening.” As of yet, no such system has been implemented.
If only for this, they should really introduce a new system, with a waiting list.

A waiting list would have been a good idea when the system was first created, it should have been implemented last year, and it is inexcusable that they still haven't put one in this year.
Old 06-27-2009 at 09:00 PM   #53
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
It's definitely a failed system, I'm not arguing against that. There should be seats reserved for people in the faculty/program of the elective. & some sort of waitlist should be implemented.

You're missing the point that younger students can always take those electives in the next year whereas upper year students may be graduating. And if it's not a required course for anyone, then why does it matter what year you take it in?
It can screw you up if you're attempting to minor in whatever the upper years are taking just for fun. :p
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:23 PM   #54
PTGregD
Elite Member

It's a shame that electives are so hard to get into. I really wish that they would have more room in the popular ones; it would alleviate most of our problems.
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:30 PM   #55
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
It can screw you up if you're attempting to minor in whatever the upper years are taking just for fun. :p
Thankfully most minors are broad enough that you only need a certain number of units in each level, though if a certain course is a prerequisite for all upper year courses then it sucks. Usually you can get a spot in a course if you let the department or professor know that you're planning on minoring. That's how I got into Psych 3M03 last year =P
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:31 PM   #56
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Thankfully most minors are broad enough that you only need a certain number of units in each level, though if a certain course is a prerequisite for all upper year courses then it sucks. Usually you can get a spot in a course if you let the department or professor know that you're planning on minoring. That's how I got into Psych 3M03 last year =P
Sometimes though you have one class that you really want to take for a minor, and it always happens to be the popular ones that upper years snatch up instantly. :(
Old 06-27-2009 at 11:42 PM   #57
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
It still complicates the whole process. It would be nice to get all your courses selected at once, rather than checking repeatedly for courses to open...

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 06-27-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2009 at 12:00 AM   #58
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Sometimes though you have one class that you really want to take for a minor, and it always happens to be the popular ones that upper years snatch up instantly. :(
: ( I know how it feels and it's frustrating. I needed Psych 2E03 for part of my program and for my minor but I was too stupid to realize that you could contact the department to open up seats in second year. If all else fails, you can always take the elective next year, when you're closer to the front of the line.

Quote:
It still complicates the whole process. It would be nice to get all your courses selected at once, rather than checking repeatedly for courses to open...
True. This is why a waitlist should be implemented :\
Old 06-28-2009 at 12:03 AM   #59
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Definitely! There must be some sort of waitlist!
Old 06-28-2009 at 12:29 AM   #60
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
True. This is why a waitlist should be implemented :\
Exactly