MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I LOST MY KEY, MAC ID, etc... sagar35 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-19-2010 05:53 PM
nervous and Lost. clouds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-06-2010 02:51 PM
ipod touch vs. ipod video **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 11 06-08-2010 06:20 PM
Lost Book hmmmcurious General Discussion 5 09-20-2009 12:03 PM
Lost iPod Touch today ( MAR 26th,2009) Asuka General Discussion 3 03-26-2009 09:06 PM

Lost iPod :(

Old 04-20-2010 at 10:44 AM   #1
hsn_

Liked: 0 Times

Lost iPod :(
Hi everyone,

I lost my iPod on 18th in Mills Learning Commons (between 11pm-6am if I can recall). I've asked people at the help desk and at the reception, is there anything else I can do?

I had some really important files on the iPod (used it as a usb drive), so if anyone has any information about it, it'll be really helpful!

This is what it looks like - http://www.lordpercy.com/nano-1.jpg

Thank you.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:53 AM   #2
tiel13

go to the security service website and file a LOST REPORT. All of the lost and found of the school will go there and they will let you know if they find it.
Old 04-20-2010 at 10:55 AM   #3
hsn_

hey thanks.

i've done that, and have also emailed mac security (doubt it'll help, but still worth a shot)
Old 04-20-2010 at 12:23 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Theres a very good chance that some douche just took it and thinks 'finders keepers'. Any other place on campus i would think maybe theres a chance to get it back, but Mills...

GOOD LUCK :(
Old 04-20-2010 at 12:57 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Sounds like you've done all you can do. Security will notify you if someone is decent enough to return it. Stay hopeful, and wait a few days for the person to do the right thing and return it.
Old 04-20-2010 at 01:00 PM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

If you have the serial number (check the invoice/receipt, or the original box), you can call the cops, and have them call Apple about it. If anyone else calls in to Apple about that serial number, they'll have contact info, but can only disclose it to the police. Doesn't help you right now, but may help you get it back, so you can still use it in the future without dropping a couple hundred more bucks.
Old 04-20-2010 at 01:17 PM   #7
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
If you have the serial number (check the invoice/receipt, or the original box), you can call the cops, and have them call Apple about it. If anyone else calls in to Apple about that serial number, they'll have contact info, but can only disclose it to the police. Doesn't help you right now, but may help you get it back, so you can still use it in the future without dropping a couple hundred more bucks.
You think something like this should be left to the inept, impotent justice system that Canada has in place? This is a time for action. This is a time for a hero to rise up and deliver justice vigilante style. Take down ANYONE you see with the same model iPod that you lost. Check the serial number. If it is not yours, apologize to the surviving family (via anonymous mail) and move on.

Old 04-20-2010 at 01:48 PM   #8
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

I like sniderj's suggestion.

I lost an iPod in first year... it had my name engraved on the back...

Never showed up to security...
Too unfortunate.

It's a shame apple doesn't have a "report stolen" function.
They have the numbers registered online and can track it down when it's plugged into a computer.
Old 04-20-2010 at 02:27 PM   #9
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

No, in fact Apple does not.

I recently found this out, when I lost my Macbook, reported it stolen, and later called back to verify whether one I was buying of Kijiji was stolen.

The person inadvertently admitted to me that they don't actually have a verifiable database. All they really do is cancel the warranties associated with the device, so that people cannot get it fixed up for free.
Old 04-20-2010 at 03:35 PM   #10
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan10 View Post
No, in fact Apple does not.

I recently found this out, when I lost my Macbook, reported it stolen, and later called back to verify whether one I was buying of Kijiji was stolen.

The person inadvertently admitted to me that they don't actually have a verifiable database. All they really do is cancel the warranties associated with the device, so that people cannot get it fixed up for free.
Apple does, in fact, have a way to flag stolen products. Theres a lot more they can do, but there's very little a frontline phone rep can do, and they can be fired if they tell you a product is stolen. I worked there for 7 years, so I know more than a little about this. I worked with a cop in San Francisco tracking down a stolen computer. It wasn't quick, but he did get it back to the lawful owner, who in turn sent a letter to Apple Corporate thanking me.
Old 04-20-2010 at 07:24 PM   #11
hsn_

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

@rcrw88: :(

@Chad: The semester ends in a week, so yeah, still hopeful.

@reeves: Nope :( No box or receipt, it's around 4 years old

@sniderj: Haha, I guess i'll do that, but I doubt anyone has the same ipod as mine - it's ancient. Would be surprised if I saw one.

If I had an iPod Touch, and someone stole it, it would make sense... but come on - a 4 year old iPod? You can't even sell that.. lol

To me the files on the iPod are 1000000000000000 times more important than the iPod itself... but oh well. I got an email from mac security, so will see them tomorrow to file a report.

Thanks once again!

Last edited by hsn_ : 04-20-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2010 at 08:50 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsn_ View Post
Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

@rcrw88: :(
Sorry to make you frownyface, but i'm just a very pessimistic person!
Old 04-21-2010 at 06:08 AM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Lost an iPod eh.... what ever you do, do not become an hero
Old 04-21-2010 at 06:28 AM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Lost an iPod eh.... what ever you do, do not become an hero
just do it *explitive*

edit: yesterday was 4/20, lol, a missed opportunity!

Honestly, i would be glad to lose mine; then i would have an excuse to upgrade to an iPhone.

Last edited by rcrw88 : 04-21-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2010 at 03:56 PM   #15
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
just do it *explitive*

edit: yesterday was 4/20, lol, a missed opportunity!

Honestly, i would be glad to lose mine; then i would have an excuse to upgrade to an iPhone.
Wouldn't it be smarter just to sell it and use said money to help buy the phone (as small of an amount as it may be)?