MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost Wallet supernerd General Discussion 1 04-05-2010 02:40 PM
Lost Wallet goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-03-2010 08:00 AM
Jon Montgomery is the FREAKING MAN lawleypop General Discussion 8 02-22-2010 04:56 PM
I don't freaking believe this. smiles Residence & Housing 15 01-19-2010 08:46 PM
what's on your wallet... i mean IPOD. smashpro1123 General Discussion 39 07-09-2009 08:17 AM

Lost wallet...freaking out DDD:

Old 03-18-2010 at 11:59 PM   #16
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I didn't think it was that much money! That's so horrible. I could never take even 5 bucks from someones wallet, the guilt would be too much. If I ever lose my wallet the person will be disappointed if they find it and expect money, because the max have in mine( on a good day) is 10 bucks! How did you end up finding it?
Well what goes around comes around I've found, so she'll get her payback eventually.

One of the ladies from the science co-op office found it in a stall and brought it back to her office for safekeeping. A friend of mine who was helping me look asked in there and told me she had it so I was lucky this time. Very lucky.

@Jeff: Mmhm, laptops, cell phones and cameras are definitely bad thief magnets so most people I know usually carry those with them too. The safe is a good idea, but just make sure it's heavy enough so a potential thief couldn't just take the whole thing and go ^_^

{ don't stop the music }
Old 03-19-2010 at 12:40 AM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Um, sorry, but it was your fault for carrying around shit tons of cash and all your ID.

Honestly, I wish I was that girl. It's not about that "oh noez humans kant b trusted nemore." You lug around that much shit and you're careless with it, you're asking for it. Hell, I woulda taken it. I only wish I pissed at school.

You think it's better to carry around all that stuff instead of leaving it at home in case someone might break into your house? Seriously? By that logic, I should start lugging around my laptop, my 62 inch TV, my 20 inch TV, my guitars, etc.

Quote:
One of the ladies from the science co-op office found it in a stall and brought it back to her office for safekeeping. A friend of mine who was helping me look asked in there and told me she had it so I was lucky this time. Very lucky.
Because it couldn't possibly be that lady.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 03-19-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2010 at 01:34 AM   #18
Moo!io

So you basically just admitted you're proof that people can't be trusted to do the right thing anymore.

FYI someone on my street DID have a break-in while they were at school. So uh, no, it isn't farfetched...every single laptop and cell phone/Blackberry in that house got stolen and as far as I know, the police were unsuccessful in finding their stuff. If you think carrying your valuables with you is stupid, that's your prerogative, but at least at the end of the day I (almost) always know my stuff is still there.

No I'm not saying I wasn't at fault but just because someone made a mistake doesn't make it right for others to be an ass and take advantage of that person.
Because in the end, stealing is stealing. End of story.

{ don't stop the music }

Last edited by Moo!io : 03-19-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2010 at 07:29 AM   #19
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

I bought a crappy keypad safe for like $40 that I keep things like my SIN Card, Passport, etc. in. I didn't even buy it for the security, it just provides a definite place where I always put those things, so I remember where to find them. Although it has holes so I COULD bolt it to the floor/a wall, but I'm a very lazy man.
Old 03-19-2010 at 12:30 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Yikes, $105! That's a lot of money. How come you carry around so much cash, if you don't mind me asking? Me and my friends never carry more than like 10 bucks at a time.

I agree with jo87, I could never take someone's money. On Halloween last year, my boyfriend and I found a clutch purse with a ton of cash in the student centre. We handed it into the security infront of 1280 (there was no one else to give it to and the wallet didn't have ID) and the whole 1280 line was like "That's so nice! That's good karma. Good for you!" We were like "..Why??"

I would never even think about taking the money! It would feel so wrong.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 03-19-2010 at 04:24 PM   #21
blahzay

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Um, sorry, but it was your fault for carrying around shit tons of cash and all your ID.

Honestly, I wish I was that girl. It's not about that "oh noez humans kant b trusted nemore." You lug around that much shit and you're careless with it, you're asking for it. Hell, I woulda taken it. I only wish I pissed at school.

You think it's better to carry around all that stuff instead of leaving it at home in case someone might break into your house? Seriously? By that logic, I should start lugging around my laptop, my 62 inch TV, my 20 inch TV, my guitars, etc.

Because it couldn't possibly be that lady.
[/color][/color][/color]
What a b*tch, eh?
Old 03-19-2010 at 05:19 PM   #22
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
What a b*tch, eh?
Don't insult her for just stating her opinion on the matter. You should at least try and counter her argument in stead of just attacking her.
I happen to agree with Lawley. I don't think it is smart to carry around that much cash on your person. The same applies to carrying around valuable pieces of I.D (SIN card for example). Despite knowing where everything is, I believe it is more of a risk. I would rather have everything locked up, hidden, etc then have everything with me because its easier to lose things like wallet when your moving around. You can be walking around and it can fall out without you noticing, or you can have it locked or hidden in your house.
I only carry my debit card and essential I.D cards in my wallet, I rarely have cash on me. Everything else is kept in a safe place in my home and I have locks for my more expensive items, such as my laptop.
If I need money, I just walk over to the nearest ATM.
I'd rather have everything locked up in my house than carry it around with me. I wouldn't want to lose $100 dollars just because I misplaced my wallet somewhere or it fell out. Its a stupid reason to lose a large amount of cash, thats why I don't carry around large amounts with me.
But thats jut what I think.
It does suck that you did lose all that money, and I feel sorry for you. But at least you got your wallet and I.D back.
Old 03-19-2010 at 05:24 PM   #23
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Don't insult her for just stating her opinion on the matter. You should at least try and counter her argument in stead of just attacking her.
I happen to agree with Lawley. I don't think it is smart to carry around that much cash on your person. The same applies to carrying around valuable pieces of I.D (SIN card for example). Despite knowing where everything is, I believe it is more of a risk. I would rather have everything locked up, hidden, etc then have everything with me because its easier to lose things like wallet when your moving around. You can be walking around and it can fall out without you noticing, or you can have it locked or hidden in your house.
I only carry my debit card and essential I.D cards in my wallet, I rarely have cash on me. Everything else is kept in a safe place in my home and I have locks for my more expensive items, such as my laptop.
If I need money, I just walk over to the nearest ATM.
I'd rather have everything locked up in my house than carry it around with me. I wouldn't want to lose $100 dollars just because I misplaced my wallet somewhere or it fell out. Its a stupid reason to lose a large amount of cash, thats why I don't carry around large amounts with me.
But thats jut what I think.
It does suck that you did lose all that money, and I feel sorry for you. But at least you got your wallet and I.D back.
I'm pretty sure he insulted her for the "Hell, I woulda taken it. I only wish I pissed at school." comment. Do you agree with stealing as well? You'd have to have no morals to do something like that (aka be an outright terrible human being).

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Souldier for this post.
Old 03-19-2010 at 06:21 PM   #24
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
I'm pretty sure he insulted her for the "Hell, I woulda taken it. I only wish I pissed at school." comment. Do you agree with stealing as well? You'd have to have no morals to do something like that (aka be an outright terrible human being).
Oh, I guess I didn't see that part :/
I guess I should have made my point clearer, I only agree with her on the aspect of not carrying around a lot of cash, valuable pieces of I.D, etc. I think they should be locked up, because I think its safer.
With your point on stealing, it depends on the situation. Its a whole ethical situation. You could steal just because you want to, or it could be like a Robin Hood situation, stealing from the rich to help the poor!
These examples were just really simplistic though, but hopefully you'll get my point about stealing. Its right in some contexts, wrong in others. Again, its just what I think.
Old 03-19-2010 at 08:45 PM   #25
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

Lawleypop: you might not always agree with her, but her somewhat vicious, raw opinions will never fail to stir up some discussion.

On-topic: while is it unfortunate that your cash was gone, it's just the way the world works. I don't think I would have taken the cash if it were so much, but I'd by lying if I said I wouldn't be tempted to take even a little. After all, there is no harm and it isn't too different than finding a $5 on the floor or something.

There happens to be a relatively large amount of cash in my wallet recently, but only because I was given a large amount and I'd never bothered to take it out. I've never worried about losing it though, since it always goes straight back into my pocket once I'm done with it. While it may be best not to ask why your wallet was out in the ladies' room in the first place, is there a reason why it wasn't immediately returned to your purse/clutch/backpack/bag thing?

I can sort of empathize with you though, as I was sort of careless and lost my rather expensive camera (and a clipboard later on =\) on what happened to be the first day of classes in first year. I can only hope that like me, you've learned your lesson to be careful and not take anything for granted.
Old 03-19-2010 at 09:19 PM   #26
Moo!io

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Yikes, $105! That's a lot of money. How come you carry around so much cash, if you don't mind me asking? Me and my friends never carry more than like 10 bucks at a time.

I agree with jo87, I could never take someone's money. On Halloween last year, my boyfriend and I found a clutch purse with a ton of cash in the student centre. We handed it into the security infront of 1280 (there was no one else to give it to and the wallet didn't have ID) and the whole 1280 line was like "That's so nice! That's good karma. Good for you!" We were like "..Why??"

I would never even think about taking the money! It would feel so wrong.
My bank doesn't have an ATM on campus and I've always found it easier to just carry the cash so I don't have to bother with debit or waiting for an ATM machine to be available.

That really WAS good of you guys...I bet that girl was beyond relieved when she found her purse with all her cash and ID still intact. Clearly not everyone feels guilty taking things that aren't theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
What a b*tch, eh?
Um yeah, that comment was highly uncalled for and frankly just plain rude. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Oh, I guess I didn't see that part :/
I guess I should have made my point clearer, I only agree with her on the aspect of not carrying around a lot of cash, valuable pieces of I.D, etc. I think they should be locked up, because I think its safer.
With your point on stealing, it depends on the situation. Its a whole ethical situation. You could steal just because you want to, or it could be like a Robin Hood situation, stealing from the rich to help the poor!
These examples were just really simplistic though, but hopefully you'll get my point about stealing. Its right in some contexts, wrong in others. Again, its just what I think.
While the whole stealing-from-the-rich-to-give-to-the-poor thing seems noble in nature, it's still stealing regardless, is it not? And in this situation, I find it VERY hard to believe the thief was needy enough to warrant stealing all my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Lawleypop: you might not always agree with her, but her somewhat vicious, raw opinions will never fail to stir up some discussion.

On-topic: while is it unfortunate that your cash was gone, it's just the way the world works. I don't think I would have taken the cash if it were so much, but I'd by lying if I said I wouldn't be tempted to take even a little. After all, there is no harm and it isn't too different than finding a $5 on the floor or something.

There happens to be a relatively large amount of cash in my wallet recently, but only because I was given a large amount and I'd never bothered to take it out. I've never worried about losing it though, since it always goes straight back into my pocket once I'm done with it. While it may be best not to ask why your wallet was out in the ladies' room in the first place, is there a reason why it wasn't immediately returned to your purse/clutch/backpack/bag thing?

I can sort of empathize with you though, as I was sort of careless and lost my rather expensive camera (and a clipboard later on =\) on what happened to be the first day of classes in first year. I can only hope that like me, you've learned your lesson to be careful and not take anything for granted.
Taking a little I could've understood...after all the temptation IS there and they could probably have justified it as a "reward" for returning the rest of the items intact.

Ironically, the whole reason I took my wallet out of my bag in the first place and locked up the bag while I was running errands on break was so that even if my bag got taken somehow my wallet would still be safe. So much for that plan.

Sorry to hear about your camera...losing anything is never fun and I've for sure learned not to be so trusting of people anymore.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 03-20-2010 at 12:48 PM   #27
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Meh. I found a wallet on an hsr bus and helped myself to the $120 inside. Had I lost mine, I wouldn't have seen my money again either. I consider it a credit pre withdrawl from the karma bank

sniderj likes this.
Old 03-20-2010 at 01:11 PM   #28
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
Meh. I found a wallet on an hsr bus and helped myself to the $120 inside. Had I lost mine, I wouldn't have seen my money again either. I consider it a credit pre withdrawl from the karma bank
I would have too. I think anyone that is surprised by this is terribly naive.
Old 03-20-2010 at 02:27 PM   #29
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I would have too. I think anyone that is surprised by this is terribly naive.
Not everybody is like you. I found a wallet stuffed full of bills on the bus and I promptly gave it to the bus driver. Even the thought of stealing the money never crossed my mind, my parents raised me well I guess.
Old 03-20-2010 at 02:37 PM   #30
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I found a wallet on the bus once and I didn't even check if their was money inside it, I just gave it to the bus driver.

Moo!io, mudathto like this.