MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer Science at Mac Jaihawk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-21-2016 05:47 PM
What's Computer Science like at Mac? MiniMac Academics 6 12-05-2012 10:49 AM
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer Science accredited at Mac? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-25-2010 09:51 PM

MAC Computer Science vs. UofT Computer Science

Old 05-18-2016 at 05:16 PM   #1
amoosa98

Liked: 0 Times

MAC Computer Science vs. UofT Computer Science
Hello!

If it isn't blatantly clear already, I am a senior year high-school student and I am in a bit of a predicament here. Before I start though, I am well aware of the fact that asking this type of question in this forum could yield some biased or opinionated answers. However, I do really want to hear what the students at MAC have to say just to get an idea. Now, with that out of the way, let me explain my predicament!

With admission and acceptance deadlines coming up, next week, I really need to start making final decisions on where I want to go. I received admission from MAC in March, and under slightly different circumstances, I would have accepted the offer the second I got it. However, since then I have been debating back and forth between MAC and UofT. From my understanding (and correct me if wrong), MAC is top-rated in terms of research and development not just for comp-sci but for many of the programs offered. The comp-sci program covers emerging technologies and focuses more on the frontiers of computer science. On top of that, the campus has a great feel and social life but you trade in slightly lower prestige and rankings. On the other hand, UofT has its infamous 'prestige factor' and its comp-sci program is rated within the top 10 worldwide. It focuses a lot more on the maths behind computer science and it goes deep into the programming. However, at UofT, you're basically just a number, you tend to have no social life, and I hear that artificial lowering of GPAs is not uncommon.

With that being said, my question is simple: What do you guys think of the comp-sci program at MAC and what does it hold when compared to UofT?
Old 05-18-2016 at 06:40 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Before you do anything with research, you want to get a Bachelor's degree that is not completely worthless.

Quote:
On the other hand, UofT has its infamous 'prestige factor' and its comp-sci program is rated within the top 10 worldwide.
Your degree is more important than any social prospect for the next 4 years. McMaster's overall social life won't get you laid, that will depend on you, and with that said it will not matter where you go, McMaster or UofT.

Also I'd like to know what you mean by "social life". Toronto has all the clubs and parties, Hamilton just has a bunch of kids getting drunk on St. Patrick's Day. The "hottest" event I remember in McMaster was some sort of 18+ Magician or something a few years back. Classy. The only reason to come to Hamilton is to get away from your religious parents if you got those, so you can get drunk, high and laid away from their eye, which is what many brown kids do.

Quote:
However, at UofT, you're basically just a number, you tend to have no social life, and I hear that artificial lowering of GPAs is not uncommon.
Like I said, you having a social life will depend solely on you.

Your degree is more important dude. Especially in this job market.

amoosa98 says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.

amoosa98 likes this.
Old 05-18-2016 at 07:34 PM   #3
amoosa98

Liked: 0 Times

Hi

First of all thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

Yes I agree, Toronto has parties, just like most other universities to be fair. What's really getting me is whether or not one should base their choice of uni on ranking alone. Because as far as I can see, aside from the ranking difference, MAC's comp-sci program holds its own against UofT.

To elaborate on the social life part, I have no intention of getting drunk, high, or laid. What I guess I meant was that people I've talked to that have been to MAC seemed to be much more joyful and positive when it came to talking about their experience compared to those I've talked to that have been to UofT. Sorry for the lack of clarity before.
Old 05-18-2016 at 08:01 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosa98 View Post
What's really getting me is whether or not one should base their choice of uni on ranking alone.
It's a personal decision, but in my opinion, your choice should never be based on one thing alone, least of all something as sketchy as a ranking. Rankings never give the full story, and how schools are ranked is rarely clear.

amoosa98 says thanks to starfish for this post.

amoosa98 likes this.
Old 05-18-2016 at 08:04 PM   #5
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosa98 View Post
What I guess I meant was that people I've talked to that have been to MAC seemed to be much more joyful and positive when it came to talking about their experience compared to those I've talked to that have been to UofT
I do find that McMaster students are very nice, helpful and very positive. It was definitely a weird transition as I came from a high school filled with snake-ass Chinese people where everyone tried to sabotage each other whenever possible and no one was really friends with each other.

amoosa98 says thanks to Imperious for this post.

amoosa98 likes this.
Old 05-18-2016 at 08:29 PM   #6
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
What's really getting me is whether or not one should base their choice of uni on ranking alone.
It shouldn't, but social life is the last thing you need to worry about. Things other than education quality are usually costs. Besides tuition there's also living costs (yeah I forgot we have communism now and education is free). Normally, I would go where it's cheaper to live, but since now all you have to worry about is the living costs, I'd go to a school with a better program.

Quote:
It's a personal decision, but in my opinion, your choice should never be based on one thing alone, least of all something as sketchy as a ranking. Rankings never give the full story, and how schools are ranked is rarely clear.
As a person who had to deal with Software Engineering department on daily basis, I have to assume that anywhere is better but here when it comes to it.

Last edited by GeorgeLucas : 05-18-2016 at 08:37 PM.

amoosa98 says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.

amoosa98 likes this.
Old 05-18-2016 at 09:57 PM   #7
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Hmm, can't edit my post. Just wanted to add:

Quote:
What I guess I meant was that people I've talked to that have been to MAC seemed to be much more joyful and positive when it came to talking about their experience compared to those I've talked to that have been to UofT. Sorry for the lack of clarity before.
Maybe it's because it's more expensive to live near Toronto and with higher tuition there (which should be none now) people might be just busier generally there trying to keep themselves afloat. It's a big campus, in a big city, it can be disorientating.

There's a lot more UofT female students looking for sugar daddies to pay their bills than here, that's for sure.