MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfer?? Ziggi Academics 4 08-17-2010 07:53 PM
University Transfer DMe3 Academics 9 06-17-2010 05:52 PM
IB Transfer Credits? leemeiying First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-09-2010 10:47 AM
Transfer Drkhan Academics 9 02-20-2010 11:49 PM
Transfer to Mac Pay919 Academics 3 12-20-2008 11:51 PM

mac transfer

Old 12-23-2010 at 11:08 PM   #1
transferbnd

Liked: 0 Times

mac transfer
Hi, I am a current first year eng student at westen that will hopefully be attending engineering at Mac next year if all goes well. I have a few questions for anyone who could help; what kind of grades are acceptable for transfer students to be admitted into second year end programs - i know most 2nd year programs require atleast a 4.0 CA which is roughly a 62 - is it the same for transfers? Also the co-op program at western is bullshit and useless, is it any good at Mac?
And does anyone have any insight on the software eng (game design) program, is it like a typial software eng program with some game design courses in 3rd or 4th year or a game - related project? The software game design stream is not accredited i noticed as well, does this mean graduates cannot become proffesional engineers?

And some questions about Mac life . At western the residences are VERY **** about security and drinking... we can't even visit other residences without being signed in and in Saugeen every floor is locked with key access for that floor only, and RA'S are keen to break up drinking games and bust parties, how is it at Mac? How is the downtown scene too? Or are parties usually happening in rez?I noticed that rez's are close when I visited which is nice.

Thanks a lot , and any help is appreciated! Its hard trying to decide what to do after you've realized that the school you've chosen is not for you.
Old 12-23-2010 at 11:20 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

From what I've heard (and from what others will surely tell you), engineering at Mac can be pretty challenging.

As for parties on res - if you're after that, you'd probably be a lot better off staying at Western. Mac isn't known as a "party school". You have to be signed in when you visit other residences, but I haven't heard of every floor being locked - usually it's just every building that's locked. Most partying is off-campus.

Old 12-24-2010 at 12:15 AM   #3
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

ha this is so funny, you shuld swap with the guy who wants to switch from mac eng to western eng

crazyfree, giftedchick like this.
Old 12-24-2010 at 01:08 AM   #4
yeshuvai

Liked: 1 Time

as far as the co-op is concerned its nothing spectacular at mac. You need to take a course which is pretty much just attendance and its main point is to tech you how co-op at mac works. There are postings mac's job search site OSCAR but lots of people apply to those so you pretty much have to find your own co-op placement.
Old 12-24-2010 at 01:46 PM   #5
transferbnd

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuvai View Post
as far as the co-op is concerned its nothing spectacular at mac. You need to take a course which is pretty much just attendance and its main point is to tech you how co-op at mac works. There are postings mac's job search site OSCAR but lots of people apply to those so you pretty much have to find your own co-op placement.
I think this is still better than western's program, atleat you hve a course or an indication that co-op actually exists... And Western eng is pretty difficult just the way it is set up - 7 courses in one semester, that means 7 midterms and usually 5-7 finals...