MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting a Macbook to a Projector shay2014 Computers & Tech 2 11-06-2010 01:14 PM
Buying a Macbook YousifK Computers & Tech 2 08-16-2010 08:17 AM
French 1Z06 CD on Macbook qazwini Academics 2 10-06-2009 10:47 AM
13.3" Macbook Pro (Unibody) goodnews.inc General Discussion 13 09-21-2009 09:58 PM

Macbook

Old 02-13-2011 at 10:35 AM   #16
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
ive never had any experiance with 13 inch laptop are they good for watching utube or movies?
It's perfect for youtube, I have a 10" netbook and that's a bit small, but my GF has a 12" and that's been perfect so far. The only issue with the 13" macbook/Pro is that they're running really old processors (1-2 generations out of date).

Last edited by Tailsnake : 02-13-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-13-2011 at 01:02 PM   #17
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
It's perfect for youtube, I have a 10" netbook and that's a bit small, but my GF has a 12" and that's been perfect so far. The only issue with the 13" macbook/Pro is that they're running really old processors (1-2 generations out of date).
are u talking about Intel Core 2 Duo?
Old 02-13-2011 at 01:46 PM   #18
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

While the Core 2 will more likely than not satisfy your needs, it's pretty old now, especially since the 2nd Gen Core i series will be launching in a week or so.
Old 02-13-2011 at 02:03 PM   #19
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
While the Core 2 will more likely than not satisfy your needs, it's pretty old now, especially since the 2nd Gen Core i series will be launching in a week or so.

i am not buying now im waiting till summer so maybe they will update
Old 02-13-2011 at 02:18 PM   #20
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Whats the point of wasting $ on a mac if your gonna have to install windows on it? The same price you pay for that mac you can get a PC much more powerful
Old 02-13-2011 at 02:36 PM   #21
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Oh and one more thing. BUY it with a Credit Card (that has the warranty feature). The standard 1 year warranty then becomes 2 years for free.
Working in an apple repair centre, I can tell you this: It's not worth it. Just buy the Apple warranty with the student discount if you want more than a year.

If you go through a credit card warranty, you have to bring the computer in for repair, get a quote, fax it to the credit issuer, wait for them to assess it and respond, then initiate the repair, which takes at least a couple days to get the parts and install them. We had one lady's computer for over a month before they replied to her saying they would cover the repair under her insurance.
Old 02-13-2011 at 06:49 PM   #22
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Working in an apple repair centre, I can tell you this: It's not worth it. Just buy the Apple warranty with the student discount if you want more than a year.

If you go through a credit card warranty, you have to bring the computer in for repair, get a quote, fax it to the credit issuer, wait for them to assess it and respond, then initiate the repair, which takes at least a couple days to get the parts and install them. We had one lady's computer for over a month before they replied to her saying they would cover the repair under her insurance.
Strange. It seems so much more painless in theory.

When I talked to CIBC, they told me how they initiate the warranty is to have the person bring it to the approve repair center (Apple in this case). Have it repair and charge on the credit card. Once that is done, the credit card company (CIBC) will remove the charge from the monthly statement.

Even then, hmm, a month of wait time or pay $250 for the AppleCare. Hard choice for the cheapskates.
Old 02-13-2011 at 09:13 PM   #23
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

if ur planning to play games, dont get it. if its just for homework/internet/videos, go ahead. else get an asus
Old 02-13-2011 at 09:54 PM   #24
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Strange. It seems so much more painless in theory.

When I talked to CIBC, they told me how they initiate the warranty is to have the person bring it to the approve repair center (Apple in this case). Have it repair and charge on the credit card. Once that is done, the credit card company (CIBC) will remove the charge from the monthly statement.

Even then, hmm, a month of wait time or pay $250 for the AppleCare. Hard choice for the cheapskates.
I'm sure that each bank has their own policy on how to do it, but they still need to assess it. no company is going to pay $1500 to repair a computer that would only cost $1000 to replace.

For a student that needs their computer, I'd think downtime is more of an issue, especially when you're already paying that much for the computer.

And FYI, that repair we had for over a month waiting for her insurance...it was a total of $200 and some dollars. imagine what a $700 repair would take.
Old 02-14-2011 at 04:33 AM   #25
mfattal
Elite Member

will a new one come out this summer? maybe with I3? (for 13" macbook pro)
Old 02-14-2011 at 05:40 AM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
if ur planning to play games, dont get it. if its just for homework/internet/videos, go ahead. else get an asus
Or get a decent Asus and both play video games and do your homework on it..
(a.k.a do what I did)

Afzal, Kerbs like this.
Old 02-14-2011 at 06:22 AM   #27
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
(a.k.a do what I did)
which kind did u pick and how much was it?
Old 02-14-2011 at 06:36 AM   #28
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
(a.k.a do what I did)
Honestly, with the way he's going about things, he seems like the type of person that'll have his PC loaded with crapware and virus' within a month of use. He's probably the type of person that simply needs OSX to protect him from himself.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-14-2011 at 08:48 AM   #29
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

The good news is that if you purchase a mac they have almost zero digital protection for their programs, which basically means you can download entire suites of programs and install them just like you purchased them in store.

Not to condone piracy, but if Apple doesn't want to do any DRM it's kind of their own fault, not to mention the fact that their software suites are generally overpriced imo anyways.
Old 02-14-2011 at 09:04 AM   #30
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I'm sure that each bank has their own policy on how to do it, but they still need to assess it. no company is going to pay $1500 to repair a computer that would only cost $1000 to replace.

For a student that needs their computer, I'd think downtime is more of an issue, especially when you're already paying that much for the computer.

And FYI, that repair we had for over a month waiting for her insurance...it was a total of $200 and some dollars. imagine what a $700 repair would take.
Gotcha.

Since you work in a Repair Center, is there a way for us consumers to bypass the normal No Battery clause in AppleCare?

As in, what are some good methods to get the battery replace (normal decay) while still under AppleCare?