MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
minitab for macbook?? macbaby07 Academics 2 09-14-2011 08:07 PM
Does anyone have a macbook air? what do u think of it? fatcat General Discussion 25 08-26-2011 07:16 PM
Macbook Help Dylicious Computers & Tech 6 03-25-2011 05:24 PM
Macbook mfattal General Discussion 43 02-16-2011 05:56 AM

Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro?

Old 11-04-2013 at 07:36 PM   #16
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Honestly, after the latest refresh, the gap between the Air and the Pro isn't that large anymore.

If you want some serious battery life (we're talking 12-15 hours non-stop), go with the 13-inch Air. The Pro is quite a bit more powerful and 2560 by 1600 pixels on a 13-inch screen would look absolutely gorgeous. If gaming is your thing, you wouldn't even need to run game with antialiasing on because of that pixel density. The weight difference between the two shouldn't be an issue.

If all you do is browse the internet, watch movies, work with documents, and do school work on your computer, get the Air. If not, get the Pro. The only problem might be cost. The baseline Pro comes with only 128GB of storage, which isn't much. The price of the 256GB model is $1549, which is quite costly.
Don't forget we get education discount which is ~$100 on the 13in Macs. So the 256GB model is $1449 for us. May not be a big discount but something none the less
Old 11-04-2013 at 08:50 PM   #17
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

It sucks how the education discount only brings the MBA's $50 less as compared to the $100 less for the MBPs.
Old 11-04-2013 at 10:24 PM   #18
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.C View Post
why does everyone want apple?
Because they're a bunch of sheep

I think it's about the huge novelty and variety of goodies that Apple supplies to people. And most people just want the latest and most popular thing.
Old 11-04-2013 at 11:05 PM   #19
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post

I think it's about the huge novelty and variety of goodies that Apple supplies to people. And most people just want the latest and most popular thing.
Show me another laptop that has the specs, quality, service and portability of the new Macbook Pros for a significantly lower price?

They are obviously not made for everyone but quality, spec and service wise they are some of the best machines on the market.

If you don't like it then, that is your preference. No need to make idiotic statements.
Old 11-05-2013 at 12:41 AM   #20
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
It sucks how the education discount only brings the MBA's $50 less as compared to the $100 less for the MBPs.
Do you guys get $100 for App store too? That shit lasted me more than a year
Old 11-05-2013 at 12:30 PM   #21
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Show me another laptop that has the specs, quality, service and portability of the new Macbook Pros for a significantly lower price?

They are obviously not made for everyone but quality, spec and service wise they are some of the best machines on the market.

If you don't like it then, that is your preference. No need to make idiotic statements.
Of course people are entitled to prefer and purchase whatever they like. Just like I am entitled to my opinion. That doesn't make it idiotic. What I said does have some truth to it, whether people care to admit it or not. Not true for everyone mind you, but many people do not research "specs, quality, service and portability" when they are looking to buy a laptop.
Old 11-05-2013 at 01:09 PM   #22
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:

What's wrong with going for the most popular things?
Are you sure that popularity has never affected you?
Old 11-05-2013 at 06:47 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Yup, I did when I bought mine back in 11'!
Old 11-05-2013 at 10:24 PM   #24
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Of course people are entitled to prefer and purchase whatever they like. Just like I am entitled to my opinion. That doesn't make it idiotic. What I said does have some truth to it, whether people care to admit it or not. Not true for everyone mind you, but many people do not research "specs, quality, service and portability" when they are looking to buy a laptop.
Then you would understand the need to express my opinion about your statement with no back up.

A lot of times people who buy Macs, buy it because an existing owner shared the ease of use, reliability and low maintenance involved with using a Mac. Does that still make them sheep?

That is why my sister and cousin bought it, because I gave them my word that it would be a much more pleasant experience than buying a windows machine. And 3 years later, with no problems or any maintenance on my sisters part, the computer still runs like it was bought yesterday.

I agree many people do not look at those things but they do listen to a friends suggestion, especially after owning a windows laptop and going through the problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
I just bought my new mac so I missed the promotion! But I did pick one of from kijiji in the summer for $60
Old 11-06-2013 at 08:38 AM   #25
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:

I've literally been using Apple products for over twenty years. In fact, I *still* have a working laptop (they were called Powerbooks back then) from 1992. It works just as well as it did twenty years ago with zero maintenance.

If a lifespan of over 20 years isn't enough to sell me on investing in an Apple product, I don't know what else is Nothing sheep-like about it, solely personal experience.

Chad likes this.
Old 11-06-2013 at 08:04 PM   #26
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Unless you're going to be gaming or video editing / graphic design, etc. and using memory-intensive programs, then a MacBook Air should do you just fine.

I have a MacBook Pro and love it because it's powerful for doing video editing, etc. and I got the model with the DVD drive built in (newer ones don't have it).

The monitor on my model isn't retina, but looks perfectly fine to me - very high quality and sharp. So it's not like retina screens are a deal breaker.

Hope that helps.