MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting a Macbook to a Projector shay2014 Computers & Tech 2 11-06-2010 01:14 PM
Buying a Macbook YousifK Computers & Tech 2 08-16-2010 08:17 AM
French 1Z06 CD on Macbook qazwini Academics 2 10-06-2009 10:47 AM
13.3" Macbook Pro (Unibody) goodnews.inc General Discussion 13 09-21-2009 09:58 PM

Macbook

Old 02-12-2011 at 01:50 PM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Macbook
Hello

I am planning on buying a Macbook for first year eng

is this a good idea?

and do you know if there is a certain time where apple gives promotions

is 13.3inch good size or too small? i am using a 17 inch and its a bit heavy
( LAPTOP NOT SOMETHING ELSE )

thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:54 PM   #2
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
Hello

I am planning on buying a Macbook for first year eng

is this a good idea?

and do you know if there is a certain time where apple gives promotions

is 13.3inch good size or too small? i am using a 17 inch and its a bit heavy
( LAPTOP NOT SOMETHING ELSE )

thanks in advance
Apples gives promotion in Sept for Back to School. Last year they gave a iPod Touch.

13 inch is definitely not too small.

Realize that if you pick Apples, you will need a Windows emulator. The program you will be using for 1C03 will not work on MAC. Maybe it will change for next year, I don't know.
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:56 PM   #3
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Apples gives promotion in Sept for Back to School. Last year they gave a iPod Touch.

13 inch is definitely not too small.

Realize that if you pick Apples, you will need a Windows emulator. The program you will be using for 1C03 will not work on MAC.
and where do i get that from (Windows emulator)?

and it starts from september? or augest?
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:58 PM   #4
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
and where do i get that from (Windows emulator)?

and it starts from september? or augest?
I don't know when it start. Quick look at Google said it starts in May.

http://www.i4u.com/594/apple-back-sc...about-hit-soon

For the emulator, you can either buy one or get the free one. VMware is one name.
Oh and one more thing. Prepare for Apples hater to tell you to get something else...

mfattal says thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:04 PM   #5
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

VMWare.

When I bought my MacBook Pro, I bought the 15 inch. The 13 is too small for me, but it's probably considerably more portable for classes and stuff. Plus it might actually fit on the desks that are attached to seats in lecture halls.
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:05 PM   #6
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
I don't know when it start. Quick look at Google said it starts in May.

http://www.i4u.com/594/apple-back-sc...about-hit-soon

For the emulator, you can either buy one or get the free one. VMware is one name.
Oh and one more thing. Prepare for Apples hater to tell you to get something else...
I have a friend who works in HP in he is in managment and told me to get mac lol

so now I am 100% getting mac book then in future upgrade to macbook pro

its 13.3 inch
i like watching utube and movies on laptop is it good enough?
Thanks
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:13 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
I have a friend who works in HP in he is in managment and told me to get mac lol

so now I am 100% getting mac book then in future upgrade to macbook pro

its 13.3 inch
i like watching utube and movies on laptop is it good enough?
Thanks
I would recommend you to go to a store and try it out.

Play around with it and see if it will be comfortable for you. Everyone has different preference.
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:29 PM   #8
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

The back to school promotion normally starts in June, but last year started in May. Either way, look for it in late spring - early summer.

The macbook is more than enough to do everyday things like youtube, movies, documents, etc. It will run VMWare Fusion or Parallels decently for emulators, or you can install Windows via bootcamp to run in windows natively, and avoid the emulator altogether, saving you $100 or so (assuming you're buying it, not pirating ). If weight is a big concern, the MacBook pro 13" actually weighs less than the Macbook, though not by much.

RyanC likes this.
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:38 PM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
The back to school promotion normally starts in June, but last year started in May. Either way, look for it in late spring - early summer.

The macbook is more than enough to do everyday things like youtube, movies, documents, etc. It will run VMWare Fusion or Parallels decently for emulators, or you can install Windows via bootcamp to run in windows natively, and avoid the emulator altogether, saving you $100 or so (assuming you're buying it, not pirating ). If weight is a big concern, the MacBook pro 13" actually weighs less than the Macbook, though not by much.
Just to add, if you go with the Pro, your RAM will double from 2GB to 4GB.

The extra $150 also gives you the aluminium casing which is so much better than the plastic one.

Just remember to try it out in store!

Oh and one more thing. BUY it with a Credit Card (that has the warranty feature). The standard 1 year warranty then becomes 2 years for free.

Last edited by PHLN : 02-12-2011 at 02:40 PM.

mfattal says thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 02-12-2011 at 03:01 PM   #10
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

New MacBooks will be coming out in the 3rd quarter. Most likely after the promotion. I would wait till then.
Old 02-12-2011 at 03:40 PM   #11
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I got a Macbook Pro for Eng I this year.

Simply put, get one. Its fantastic. Quite possible the best computer I have ever owned. The operating system is great, battery life is great, hardware is great (if a little under powered).

My Macbook Pro can run any program needed for Eng I, but you will need boot camp for Autodesk Inventor. Fun fact. Boot Camp rank Autodesk several times better than three normal laptops that had better specs. We ended up having to pull an all nighter because my group partner's laptops ran the program at a snail's pace and kept freezing.

(Plus, do you really want to be the only one sitting at a study party without one? Everyone will be like 'Hey everyone here has a Mac.... oh wait...' (I'm not joking. This happens more than you might think )

Get a Mac. (Go with a Pro, not the normal Macbook. Also, wait till the summer for the Apple Promotion)
Old 02-12-2011 at 03:52 PM   #12
Mickel

Liked: 12 Times

If you want a macbook, don't get the standard white one, get a pro. Also, don't get the current gen 13 inch model. Apple is obviously not a brand that gives you a lot of value for your dollar but paying $1300 with tax for a core 2 duo is just plain wrong.
Old 02-13-2011 at 04:44 AM   #13
mfattal
Elite Member

so do you recommend i get the 15 inch macbook pro/13inch macbook pro/ or 13.3inch macbook?

ive had toshiba but feel like upgrading to mac now

great advice thanks
Old 02-13-2011 at 05:47 AM   #14
fred

Liked: 19 Times

personally i'd get a 13" for better portability

I don't think there is a huge difference between specs for the 15" and 13" that you'd notice anyways, also you save a couple hundred bucks.
Old 02-13-2011 at 06:40 AM   #15
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
personally i'd get a 13" for better portability

I don't think there is a huge difference between specs for the 15" and 13" that you'd notice anyways, also you save a couple hundred bucks.
ive never had any experiance with 13 inch laptop are they good for watching utube or movies?