MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone with residence ethernet problem? kimjsi General Discussion 1 03-23-2013 03:25 PM
Where is a ethernet port? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-05-2012 07:14 AM
Connect 2 Ethernet Cables together? Allan Computers & Tech 11 03-12-2012 10:23 PM
Printer Cable N.Cheng Computers & Tech 9 02-27-2011 12:45 AM
cable tv in your room ajb238919 Computers & Tech 8 08-12-2007 11:30 PM

Macbook Pro and Ethernet Cable

Old 08-17-2014 at 07:35 PM   #1
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

Macbook Pro and Ethernet Cable
I recently got a Macbook Pro but it doesn't have an Ethernet port.

I'll be staying in Brandon Hall and I know they provide us with an Ethernet cable.

Is it necessary to purchase the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter or should I be able to connect to RezNet through WiFi just fine? And is it available for purchase at the Campus Store?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2014 at 07:59 PM   #2
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

I lived in Moulton two years ago and while there was a WiFi connection, it didn't work in my own room properly, and worked slow in the common room. I used ethernet the entire year but I heard they are redoing the wifi in all res buildings so maybe you'll have to wait and see.

lisar96 says thanks to Commie42 for this post.
Old 08-18-2014 at 10:50 PM   #3
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisar96 View Post
I recently got a Macbook Pro but it doesn't have an Ethernet port.

I'll be staying in Brandon Hall and I know they provide us with an Ethernet cable.

Is it necessary to purchase the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter or should I be able to connect to RezNet through WiFi just fine? And is it available for purchase at the Campus Store?

Thanks in advance.
The campus store usually has quite a bit of Apple stuff in stock, so you probably will be able to find the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter there if you want it. I have no idea how WiFi coverage is in residences.

Alternatively, you can buy one of these instead:

http://www.canadacomputers.c om/pro...em_i d=016964

You'll save a few dollars that way, and it'll also be more likely transferable to others computers you may own in the future, since it's just USB. It won't be gigabit speed, so if you're planning to do a lot of local file transfers then this will be slower, but it still shouldn't be a bottleneck for normal internet usage speeds.

lisar96 says thanks to Andrew A for this post.

lisar96 likes this.
Old 08-18-2014 at 11:12 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

There's wifi in Brandon now, so you shouldn't have a problem or need to buy the adapter.

lisar96 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-18-2014 at 11:23 PM   #5
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

dont trust the residence wi-fi for anything other than browsing the web,
les prince and woodstock was unstable in my exp

lisar96 says thanks to jitnikovi for this post.
Old 08-18-2014 at 11:26 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitnikovi View Post
dont trust the residence wi-fi for anything other than browsing the web
Actually, the residence wifi is a new system this year and I would say it's just as good as the Ethernet connection. It was fast, you could stream movies and shows or download anything and it never disappointed, even with the load. I used it all year and had my ethernet just in case, and the only time it failed was during a snowstorm for like 2 hours.

lisar96 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

App18 likes this.
Old 08-19-2014 at 11:40 AM   #7
radishcal

Liked: 0 Times

I never bought an adapter for my Macbook Pro and have survived just fine. All of my lecture halls had fine wifi connections and in Bates I used the ethernet cord to plug into a router that I brought with me. This was great since I could have internet all over the apartment, for friends that would come over and on my other wireless devices. Now that I'm living in student housing the wifi in the house negates my need for an adapter.

lisar96 says thanks to radishcal for this post.
Old 08-19-2014 at 10:01 PM   #8
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'll just try it out during WW when I move in and then see if I really need it.
Old 08-20-2014 at 11:22 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Sounds like a great plan! The book store also has the adapters if you feel like you need it at any point.
Old 08-20-2014 at 12:09 PM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Great thread Lisa, and an issue I actually came across recently. I'm used to having the ethernet port available on my older Macbook Pro, and just recently bought the new one and noticed it doesn't have it. I really find it frustrating that Apple is removing quite essential ports.. like ethernet, and they also removed the mic input jack. And the fact that there are very little Thunderbolt devices, having less USB's is also an issue since I now need to use all the ports to plug in adapters for everything.

Right now, believe it or not, Staples has the best price at $29
http://www.staples.ca/en/Apple-Thund...0_2-CA_1_20001

You can bring that into Bestbuy or Futureshop and they'll match the price. Bestbuy is at 34.99 right now.

I'll be getting this adapter soon, I think it's definitely worth having. Especially if you're going to be at your desk in your dorm room and want the fastest internet possible.

lisar96 says thanks to Chad for this post.

lisar96 likes this.
Old 08-20-2014 at 06:08 PM   #11
inkhawk157

Liked: 0 Times

Huh, why would they even remove in the first place...? But like a lot of people said, it is extremely important to own one I think.

lisar96 says thanks to inkhawk157 for this post.