MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacConnect eniteris Computers & Tech 6 09-03-2012 10:44 AM
Public Wifi with no download limits? Allan Computers & Tech 10 10-18-2011 06:51 PM
parking limits demelo_b General Discussion 0 09-26-2011 05:45 PM
Limits of Peacekeeping & Humanitarian Intervention Lois MacInsiders Announcements 5 11-25-2009 07:31 PM

MacConnect Internet Limits

Old 09-19-2013 at 11:42 AM   #1
GirishKelkar

Liked: 0 Times

MacConnect Internet Limits
Hey guys,

Is there a limit to how much you can download/use the MacConnect internet? I know you have to sign in to your MACID and stuff but do they like know how much internet you used? I was just wondering because I am hoping to download some games or something and Im not too concerned about the speeds, I can let it run in the background for the whole day or something. But i don't want them to be like you used like 10 GB and you aren't allowed on for like a month or something.

Please let me know asap

Thank you,

Girish Kelkar
Old 09-19-2013 at 11:46 AM   #2
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

There is no limit on the amount of time you are on it for but there is a limit on how much information you download. I cannot file the official statement of how much bandwidth you can use but from what I have heard/what I can remember, you are limited to 2GB per 24 hour period. I have never tested this so I don't know for sure.

GirishKelkar says thanks to Commie42 for this post.
Old 09-19-2013 at 11:49 AM   #3
GirishKelkar

If its written anywhere that would be a great help versus just passed down possible misconceptions about the limit. But thank you for your input
Old 09-19-2013 at 06:53 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Can't find it anymore, it doesn't specify online from anywhere I can see (although I swear it did a year ago). You could just stop by the UTS (University Technology Services) in BSB and ask if you wanted.
Old 09-19-2013 at 08:36 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I know types of ppl who have dled over the limit. Some have had "caps" some havent
Old 09-20-2013 at 05:02 PM   #6
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

it's 2gb/day and then they throttle your ass down hard. That's all.
Old 09-20-2013 at 05:26 PM   #7
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateL View Post
it's 2gb/day and then they throttle your ass down hard. That's all.

I remember hearing that some years ago, however a couple years ago I asked UTS about that, and they said, no, there's no limit. But your speed is dependent on what's going on in the learning facilities, which have the priority.

Lets say if the science department is having some sort of project with other universities that requires a lot of bandwidth, enjoy your 100 kb/s. Otherwise you can do whatever. I think yesterday I downloaded some crap for school of over 20 Gbs, at a speed of 2.8 Gb/s. So it is possible, you just need to get lucky.
Old 09-20-2013 at 07:29 PM   #8
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

I remember back when I was doin' my undergrad and lived in res, I got throttled down hard after downloading 2GB in a day. The year after they removed it, so now I can download as much as I want.

Last edited by Leeoku : 09-21-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2013 at 10:00 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I work in residence and it's been 2 gb for a while, but through personal experience, they won't block you for the remainder of 24 hours unless you go over about 4 gb per 24 hours
Old 09-30-2013 at 08:19 PM   #10
jhehe

There is a limit. I've been SFTP-ing from my server for the past few days (50GB or so give or take) and they pretty much blacklisted that IP address. Can't SFTP higher than 2 kb/s, but downloading elsewhere and such is fine. Now I'm surprised they are actually capping my RDP rather than capping my MAC ID address.

For those that don't understand, I'm not talking about my McMaster ID username, I'm talking about MAC ID in terms of computer identification.

Anyways, asked my host to change IP address and now I'm fine again. Back to about 10GB+ a day.