MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worst thing you did to someone? bloodywarz General Discussion 73 09-18-2010 11:20 AM
What is the #1 thing you need right now? Rossclot General Discussion 94 02-04-2010 09:25 AM
"Most Vegetarian Friendly University" contest rrtt MacInsiders Announcements 34 11-12-2009 02:44 PM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM
I don't get the whole textbook thing..? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-18-2009 11:32 PM

Macmaster Email is the most unuser friendly thing I've ever come across

Old 11-07-2009 at 02:11 AM   #1
jujumiste

Liked: Liked 6 Times

Macmaster Email is the most unuser friendly thing I've ever come across
I usually make it a point not to rant, but this I can't ignore.

Why is MAcEmail so unuser friendly????

The graphics are disgusting, the colors drab, the links irrelevant (why are links to 'settings' and 'external' considered as important as 'mailboxes')

And what exactly is 'mailboxes', and why is it so hard to find out whether you have any new mail, or to compose a new message.

Basicaly, why is McEmail so ugly, and repelling.

Even a few splashes of color using MSPaint would make it more tolerable than it is right now.

It seems that many of Mac's websites are more up to date (for instance the Libarary's) whereas MacEmail seems like it has never changed since the 1990s (who uses Times New Romans in a webpage?)

Again, I make it a point not to rant but someone has to do something about this.

There's a reason why most students don't use MacEmail - it's mediocre!

Vic.And says thanks to jujumiste for this post.

Old 11-07-2009 at 03:07 AM   #2
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

I don't care how it looks.
As long as I can send and receive email, that's all I care about.
I don't find it that user unfriendly either........

There's also a reason why students use MacEmail.....
Most profs prefer you to use McMaster email.....
And plus..
You're probably better off sending off resumes, emails and such with a McMaster email ([email protected]) than something like [email protected] whatevermail.com

That's what I think.....
And I think if they make it so nice and all....
At first it'll be a fail just like ELM compared to WebCT
Old 11-07-2009 at 04:07 AM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Just use MS Outlook or some other email program. It's much easier and faster than logging in and using the mail server.

Or, if you don't have access to Outlook or a mail program (even though you could use Thunderbird for free), you could always forward all your Mac emails to a Gmail or Hotmail/Live account.

The reason why people generally don't complain is because it's such an easy problem to solve.

DannyV says thanks to Taunton for this post.

kenneth526, kevinf, Richa, webzn like this.
Old 11-07-2009 at 07:20 AM   #4
enigmatique

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah, I usually just have my Mac emails forwarded because it's much faster and convenient to check my regular email account.
Old 11-07-2009 at 08:34 AM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah... I don't see anything wrong with it, or have any difficulties with it. If I want to see if I have a new mail, I click Mailboxes; if I want to write one - I click compose. Simple as that! Then I use my hotmail/g-mail accounts for everything else.

danallan, DannyV like this.
Old 11-07-2009 at 09:53 AM   #6
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

I agree, It took me forever to figure out how to delete files.

ytpos likes this.
Old 11-07-2009 at 10:18 AM   #7
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

I agree with the OP, although I don't feel strongly enough to complain about it out loud. lol But ya, I think it's hideous and one thing that really bothers me, it doesn't tell me when I have a new email - like it doesn't say "one new email" when I got to my Inbox and I'm pretty sure it used to...

Also I have it set up to forward the emails to my Hotmail account but it only works half the time, I've tried a couple times to get it to be consistent but it doesn't work. Ah well, I just check it every once in a while.

lol One thing I do like about it's 1990's qualities is that it's really easy on my iPhone while Windows Live Hotmail on the other hand can be difficult for my iPhone to handle because it's so "fancy". Like how ELM takes forever to load while old school WebCT was simple and quick.

scott000 likes this.
Old 11-07-2009 at 10:38 AM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

If I was forced to use it, I'd be echoing your complaints (MUSS Email is god awful); but I've been sending and receiving my Mac Emails via Gmail since the first semester of my first year and I've never looked back.

Afzal, DannyV, Vic.And like this.
Old 11-07-2009 at 02:19 PM   #9
bumblin

Liked: Liked 4 Times

its called user unfriendly

Afzal says thanks to bumblin for this post.
Old 11-07-2009 at 06:54 PM   #10
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Why you ask?

Because it needs to be lightweight enough to be fast yet have the functionality needed. It's not about looks here as you can easily set up 2way forwarding and forget about that particular interface, it's about performance.
In my opinion it's well designed for its purpose, although some minor improvements could always be made.

There's your answer from a software engineer.
Old 11-07-2009 at 06:58 PM   #11
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

I still don't know how to delete files. Someone help me please LOL
Old 11-07-2009 at 07:16 PM   #12
macculkin

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimH View Post
I still don't know how to delete files. Someone help me please LOL
the way i delete emails from the inbox is:
1. select the emails you want to delete (make a check in the box)
2. click set (beside the "Deleted", not flag or read
3. click purge deleted

if you're actually reading the email and want to delete it, click delete then go back to your inbox and click purge deleted.

it's really annoying but that's how i do it. maybe there is an easier way.
Old 11-07-2009 at 07:27 PM   #13
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

You go to settings, trash management and choose move to trash for your delete method. This will make it take 1 step instead of 2. You can also reverse the order of your messages in settings so you don't do it every time you log in.

salimak says thanks to adrian for this post.
Old 11-07-2009 at 08:05 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It is pretty user un-friendly, but since I never use it, like others mentioned, I never really have to look at it .
Old 11-07-2009 at 08:46 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I wouldn't say it's that unfriendly, really. Sometimes it feels like you have to take multiple steps do do things, but that doesn't bother me.

My issue is that emails get lost when I use my mac account. I don't get half of the emails sent out by the school...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement