MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cancelled course on transcript bruni Academics 9 02-28-2012 12:18 PM
Daily game Jan 18 : Carnival Showdown Chad Daily Game 0 01-18-2012 04:05 AM
Daily game Dec 19 : Smiley Showdown Chad Daily Game 0 12-19-2011 04:06 AM
TV Shows Cancelled Chad MacInsiders Announcements 61 05-26-2011 07:39 AM
Course Cancelled, and I DIDNT DO IT! resh.jyoti First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 03-02-2010 07:11 PM

Made by Mac Final Showdown Cancelled

Old 03-05-2012 at 11:56 AM   #1
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Made by Mac Final Showdown Cancelled
Final Showdown Cancelled
Due to general lack of interest and low voter turnout the 2012 Made By Mac Contest is being cancelled. All contestants have been contacted and will be awarded a participation prize. If you are a contestant please check the email account that you used to submit your entry for further details.

We truly regret that we will not be able to continue the contest.
Old 03-05-2012 at 12:45 PM   #2
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

Will the contest be held next year (2013)? Thanks!

Desda, Entropy, Grover like this.
Old 03-05-2012 at 12:58 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Well thats crappy...
Old 03-05-2012 at 01:06 PM   #4
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygab View Post
Final Showdown Cancelled
Due to general lack of interest and low voter turnout the 2012 Made By Mac Contest is being cancelled. All contestants have been contacted and will be awarded a participation prize. If you are a contestant please check the email account that you used to submit your entry for further details.

We truly regret that we will not be able to continue the contest.
It's a shame the winner for the last two years didn't make another appearance.

terrafirma says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.

dquest, Entropy like this.
Old 03-05-2012 at 01:27 PM   #5
staceygab
Campus Store

I don't know if we will hold it next year. There are a lot of factors to consider. A big thing is the resources but the other is the negative feedback we were getting. Overall (there are definitely exceptions) People just don't seem to care about or like the contest.

I've gotten an incredible amount of email complaining of the format, the prizing structure, people accusing others of cheating, and those telling me that the rules as we have set them are "wrong" and that they should not have to comply with the rules.

As Ryan C says "It's crappy" to have to cancel but it costs a lot to rent the AV equipment, the student center space, audience prizes, judges gifts, contestant prizes and going forward with an event that is not effective is not the smart thing to do.

We realize that people are disappointed, understandably so, however our energy could be put towards different projects that will touch a wider audience.

So long story short... we probably won't be doing this event again.
Old 03-05-2012 at 02:40 PM   #6
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygab View Post
I don't know if we will hold it next year. There are a lot of factors to consider. A big thing is the resources but the other is the negative feedback we were getting. Overall (there are definitely exceptions) People just don't seem to care about or like the contest.

I've gotten an incredible amount of email complaining of the format, the prizing structure, people accusing others of cheating, and those telling me that the rules as we have set them are "wrong" and that they should not have to comply with the rules.

As Ryan C says "It's crappy" to have to cancel but it costs a lot to rent the AV equipment, the student center space, audience prizes, judges gifts, contestant prizes and going forward with an event that is not effective is not the smart thing to do.

We realize that people are disappointed, understandably so, however our energy could be put towards different projects that will touch a wider audience.

So long story short... we probably won't be doing this event again.
You could considers people's opinions, the helpful ones and develop a better system for this contest. It's really great for creativity.

jalanknd likes this.
Old 03-05-2012 at 03:34 PM   #7
staceygab
Campus Store

We definitely do consider people's opinions. Some great ideas were generated. Some things are definitively doable some things suggested were fantastic ideas but not possible. Not because they weren't good ideas but because when you aren't given the full information i.e. amount of staff, other competing projects and priority and budget etc. it is difficult to know what's possible.

We had many challenges with conflicting opinions on what is "fair" and while there is always room for improvement at a certain point someone won't like it. Ahhh... but that is life.

One thing we are considering changing the format to asking people to create something on a pre-determined theme. It may be helpful with weeding out copyright infringement. We are also hoping to partner with other groups or departments on campus.

While it is far too early to commit ourselves to one path or another we are open to all suggestions.

Faer, Infinity, Mahes like this.
Old 03-06-2012 at 08:05 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Its too bad the contest is being discontinued. I suggest starting a thread on MacInsiders and we can post ideas for a NEW contest for 2013. Might get some ideas for an even better contest

staceygab says thanks to Chad for this post.

staceygab likes this.
Old 03-06-2012 at 08:27 PM   #9
staceygab
Campus Store

We would love that!! I've already had some great suggestions including using Facebook as the voting engine... allowing group entries to raise funds for charity... getting the Multimedia and/or Fine Art Department involved...

Please give us your ideas.
Old 03-07-2012 at 09:40 AM   #10
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

I liked the contest and as a digital artist I wanted to join in though for the past two years I've been reminded about the contest's existence like right before voting so I keep missing out on the time it'd take for me to slap something nice together.

Sad to see people don't want to show up for it though, might just be because it's still cold out. Having contestants get pledges for charity or having people vote by donating is an idea as well. Though overall it just needs more advertising/announcements so you get a bit of hype.
Old 03-07-2012 at 02:26 PM   #11
staceygab
Campus Store

Definitively more advertising - our challenge is that we don't have the staffing to dedicate to this. If there was a club or a department we could team up with to share the workload we would have a much better chance at getting the word out.