MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Roomate Cancelled His application Rakim Residence & Housing 16 08-12-2010 09:51 PM
cancelled courses on transcript? misterp Academics 3 10-20-2009 11:29 PM
INQUIRY 1HU3 cancelled? campbekn Academics 3 09-13-2009 04:31 PM
I didnt complete 1A00 for Mac EngI,,that a problem kenvin100 Academics 2 12-24-2008 11:00 PM
headshot 2007 cancelled Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-14-2007 08:54 AM

Course Cancelled, and I DIDNT DO IT!

Old 03-01-2010 at 06:41 PM   #1
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Course Cancelled, and I DIDNT DO IT!
Hey,
Can anyone help me? Has anyone heard of anything like this? I sent emails to the SOLAR admin, the Associate Dean Of Science (mine), and the Registrar's Office today because I didnt know what to do...

This is the email:

Hello,

I just checked my grade report today, and I noticed something that has made me extremely distressed and upset. It said that my Philosophy 1E03 course was cancelled.

This is my highest course. I DID NOT CANCEL IT!
I am 100% sure!

I have been thinking this entire time that I was registered in the course. My TA received no notification of the cancellation.

I was just checking if my HTH SCI 1BS0 went through (as a friend just told me she forgot to do it, I was just double-checking), and found that philosophy was cancelled. I checked solar, and found what you see below [I attached a screenshot]– that, from solar’s history sheet, that this course was cancelled during Reading Week, on Wednesday Feb 17th.

I DID NOT DO THIS. I hadn’t even touched a computer that day, I was at my grandparents’ house for their wedding anniversary. I was at home the week and returned to Mac on Thursday morning.

I have no idea how this happened! This course is really important to me, it’s the only course I really enjoy! I love this course so much that I would never do anything like that – I’ve asked my family and friends about where my computer was that day, and they all knew it was at home. Because of this I’m really upset. What do I do? I NEED THIS COURSE BACK!

I don’t know what to do...

I haven’t been on SOLAR for the longest while, and I’m starting to think that maybe my account got hacked. I’m also thinking that maybe an admin did it by accident? That maybe my student number was mistaken? I don’t know... I’m just trying to get a solution, so I’d appreciate it if you sent me any information you had about the SOLAR access you had that day or the grades or anything like that...

Thank you so much,
Reshmee Prakash

----

And the one I sent to UTS I asked for the IP ADDRESS from where solar was accessed. I dont know what to do and I really think that my account got hacked, but why they would cancel a course is beyond me, other than for kicks or something. I was crying before but now I'm just really upset and a little bit angry.....
Anyone heard of this done before? Any help??

Thanks,
Reshmee

ALSO: HOW DO YOU CHANGE YOUR MUGSI PASSWORD?!?!
Old 03-01-2010 at 07:05 PM   #2
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

I know you're worried, but look at it this way:
it's not like someone filled your spot, you haven't missed the class, you hopefully haven't missed any evaluations, so all they have to do is reinstate you and you need to change your password
So, you can sleep well, everything will be fine. If you go to your associate's dean's office, they can probably do it on the spot, or you can see an academic counselor who would do it for you.

resh.jyoti says thanks to adrian for this post.
Old 03-01-2010 at 07:07 PM   #3
adrian
Elite Member

you change your password like this:

resh.jyoti says thanks to adrian for this post.
Old 03-01-2010 at 10:21 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

You know what's funny: I have heard from some people in my Eng 1D04 labs that people that had labs in the week before reading week were still logged onto elm on the computer they used, AFTER reading week... Someone who had the lab on the Monday after reading week was on the Friday guys' ELM! That's ridiculous... I know Solar is a bit different... And this doesn't actually help much, but I'm just saying
Old 03-01-2010 at 10:25 PM   #5
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

if you have not cleared your history, do a search through it, see if someone logged onto solar during the specific time interval. Its very unlikely that youve been hacked, mugsi uses a fairly strong encrypted connection.
Old 03-01-2010 at 10:29 PM   #6
adrian
Elite Member

Encryption is not the only part of the security of the system, I should know we had a course on in in software eng. But good suggestion nonetheless.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 03-01-2010 at 10:30 PM   #7
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
if you have not cleared your history, do a search through it, see if someone logged onto solar during the specific time interval. Its very unlikely that youve been hacked, mugsi uses a fairly strong encrypted connection.
Hey,
I checked it. There's no history between monday and thursday of that week at all, which is correct since I didnt even touch my computer. Thanks for the help though.
Old 03-01-2010 at 11:18 PM   #8
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

That is extremely weird.

On Feb 8, I tried to log onto Thode library's internet (to study for a midterm) and my password wasn't working, so I tried to go on MUGSI and it wasn't working there either.

All I could think was that I was hacked.

So I called the tech guy to reset my password, and the guy basically said that I must have "forgotten my password" which is a load of b.s. considering how much I use mugsi and the library internet.

He eventually reset it for me but I never found out the real story behind it...

Interpret it however you want but I'm pretty sure I was hacked.
Old 03-01-2010 at 11:21 PM   #9
resh.jyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
That is extremely weird.

On Feb 8, I tried to log onto Thode library's internet (to study for a midterm) and my password wasn't working, so I tried to go on MUGSI and it wasn't working there either.

All I could think was that I was hacked.

So I called the tech guy to reset my password, and the guy basically said that I must have "forgotten my password" which is a load of b.s. considering how much I use mugsi and the library internet.

He eventually reset it for me but I never found out the real story behind it...

Interpret it however you want but I'm pretty sure I was hacked.
Hey Parnian,
THAT HAPPENED TO ME TOO!
But the keyboard there was sketchy so I just assumed it was a keyboard problem, and switched keyboards, worked on something else and went home... i didnt log into mugsi for a while after that but it was ok when i did... so ya...
I changed my password though, so at least that's ok...
Old 03-01-2010 at 11:26 PM   #10
Parnian

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
Hey Parnian,
THAT HAPPENED TO ME TOO!
But the keyboard there was sketchy so I just assumed it was a keyboard problem, and switched keyboards, worked on something else and went home... i didnt log into mugsi for a while after that but it was ok when i did... so ya...
I changed my password though, so at least that's ok...
Resh, all I hope for is that they will get you back into the course and everything will be back to normal. That is a VERY distressing thing to go through and something you shouldn't have to deal with.

Just knowing that I couldn't log in was stressful enough, especially because I had a midterm to study for.

Let us know how it works out, and I hope the best for you. I admire that you are taking the effort to at least try to find out HOW it happened.

Good luck and again, so sorry you had to put up with that.

resh.jyoti says thanks to Parnian for this post.
Old 03-01-2010 at 11:55 PM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Well its is VERY easy for people to leave key loggers on the library computers. Hence I try NOT to ever login to a library computer.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-01-2010 at 11:58 PM   #12
Parnian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well its is VERY easy for people to leave key loggers on the library computers. Hence I try NOT to ever login to a library computer.
I never use the library computers. I take my laptop with me wherever I go so that option is out.
Old 03-02-2010 at 07:35 AM   #13
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

have you talked with someone in your faculty to try to get the course back? or your philosphy prof?
Old 03-02-2010 at 09:08 AM   #14
resh.jyoti

HEY!
I just talked to the Associate Dean's Office, and they were like wtf , lol.
They were so confused, and gave me a sheet that says that it was cancelled from SOLAR on my account, just so I could contact the Registrar and find out how it happened, because I DO want to know, lol, and they do too (informally).

Then i filled out this Add/Drop Course sheet with standard info and course info and why I wanted to add it back, and I was done! Since I HAVE been attending, I'm good, because they need to check that with the prof (who doesnt have any proof of that anyways and contacts the TA, who will tell him I've been handing in assignments and going to tutorials WOOHOO!). Adrian was right, it was really simple!

So all is well . They'll email me back when the course gets added again, and in the meanwhile I'm instructed to go to everything, lol. I'M SO RELIEVED!

Thank you guys so much, you're really nice and gave me a lot of help and reassurance... I probably would have pulled my hair out if adrian didnt respond when he did and if Parnian didnt have something similar and wasnt so considerate and nice . THANKS AGAIN! You guys are AWESOME!

-Reshmee

adrian likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 11:31 AM   #15
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

So many smilies. O.o lol