MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is having a lot of cancelled courses on your transcript bad? CAHopeful Academics 7 06-26-2011 11:40 PM
Residence application cancelled daysrunaway Residence & Housing 3 06-08-2011 02:24 PM
TV Shows Cancelled Chad MacInsiders Announcements 61 05-26-2011 07:39 AM
Course Cancelled, and I DIDNT DO IT! resh.jyoti First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 03-02-2010 07:11 PM
cancelled courses on transcript? misterp Academics 3 10-20-2009 11:29 PM

Cancelled course on transcript

Old 01-23-2012 at 02:13 PM   #1
bruni

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Cancelled course on transcript
Hey guys,
I would like to cancel a course (just an elective), but since it's after the drop/add date it will show up as "CANCELLED" on my transcript. This will be the first cancelled course (and hopefully the last!) on my transcript. Can anyone confirm if this will hurt my chances at getting into grad school?
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012 at 02:21 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I cancelled a course last year and it showed up as cancelled on my report card (Grade Reports), but on my degree audit it just says the mark (i.e B+)

It depends on the program, but for masters they will only look at the last 2 years, and sometimes the last year (depends on the program as I mentioned)

Manley likes this.
Old 01-23-2012 at 02:23 PM   #3
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

For Grade it will say: CAN
For Remarks it will say: CANCELLED

This will not hurt your chances of getting into grad school--I cancelled a class in 2nd year, and got accepted to grad school (have to finish my undergrad first though) in the summer of my 3rd year. There are countless reasons on why an individual needed to cancel a class; however, if you have multiple "CANCELLED" on your transcript it probably will hurt your application.

jim1 likes this.
Old 01-23-2012 at 02:51 PM   #4
bruni

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Thanks guys. I was *possibly* looking at applying to schools in the states as well, not sure how they would take it.
Old 01-23-2012 at 03:50 PM   #5
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Manley, what're you doing for grad school?
Old 01-23-2012 at 05:15 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Grad schools only care about cancelled courses if you have like five or six. One or two is perfectly fine. It will say CAN on your transcript next to the course name.

They MIGHT ask you why you cancelled it, but probably not.
Old 01-27-2012 at 12:50 AM   #7
muons

Liked: 84 Times

I absolutely hate how McMaster does this cancelled business! At uoft, and other universities you can drop all your courses and they really won't care. It'll show up like you never took the course. Completely lame on McMaster's part, if you ask me
Old 02-28-2012 at 10:58 AM   #8
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

ye this is cheesing me right now, what are the chances of removing a cancelling course off transcript if I talk to the Dean and give a valid excuse.
Old 02-28-2012 at 11:02 AM   #9
3am Coffee

Liked: 157 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
ye this is cheesing me right now, what are the chances of removing a cancelling course off transcript if I talk to the Dean and give a valid excuse.
lmao, this guy
Old 02-28-2012 at 12:18 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by muons View Post
I absolutely hate how McMaster does this cancelled business! At uoft, and other universities you can drop all your courses and they really won't care. It'll show up like you never took the course. Completely lame on McMaster's part, if you ask me
Its because McMaster has higher standards. Its a better reflection of the quality of student if cancellations are properly reflected on a transcript. The period where cancellations don't apply on your transcripts are already pretty long as it is..