MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double major w/ minor John H Academics 15 12-27-2009 11:00 PM
Switching from Business Minor to Major? potatopotato First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 11-23-2009 07:10 PM
Getting a minor or double major in economics kgill Academics 2 04-11-2009 03:21 PM
Major, Minor... Almurnith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 08-24-2008 01:31 PM
Picking a Major and Minor lorend Academics 37 05-30-2008 04:50 PM

Major in Commerce, Minor in Biology

Old 06-20-2009 at 11:28 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

1M03 was a lot of memorization because of all those homonoids and what not. You had to know the name of all the species of homonoids as well as their characteristics (mostly related to the head). I found that to be the hardest part of 1M03
It seems like Bio 1M03 = Anthro 1Z03

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

goodnews.inc says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-20-2009 at 11:59 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Well, just that section. There were also 2 other sections in that class... one was about ecology, like population growth, diversity, types interaction between species. The other part was something about darwin related material, like bottleneck effect, what happens when a species is divided... stuff like that.
Old 06-21-2009 at 12:27 AM   #33
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I know that you can get into medical school with any degree but unless you are in a program with lots of electives I would just switch faculties. (I think there is bio/chem/physics/english in mcats that you have to prepare for). Keeping options open may be kind of wasteful in the long run (because it sounds like you have a specific goal), cost $ and could prove to be very stressful. Just my opinion but I understand why your route is desirable and could be beneficial to ambitious individuals.

goodnews.inc says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 06-21-2009 at 12:29 AM   #34
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I know that you can get into medical school with any degree but unless you are in a program with lots of electives I would just switch faculties. Keeping options open may be kind of wasteful in the long run (because it sounds like you have a specific goal), cost $ and could prove to be very stressful. Just my opinion but I understand why your route is desirable and could be beneficial to ambitious individuals.
I can fit in my electives but I just need that one extra chemistry in my first year.

I don't quite understand the financial aspect; do you mean, if I'm taking several courses in summer school etc, that it would cost me, or would it still cost me if I just keep doing 30 credits per school year?
Old 06-21-2009 at 12:33 AM   #35
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Here are student reviews of both courses:

Bio 1A03
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2103 3

Bio 1M03
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2020 9

Hope that helps!
Would you recommend doing 2 Economics courses together?
I mean I don't have any other choice but I'd appreciate your feedback

Thanks for the links and they're great, they do help thank you
Old 06-21-2009 at 12:36 AM   #36
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Would you recommend doing 2 Economics courses together?
I mean I don't have any other choice but I'd appreciate your feedback

Thanks for the links and they're great, they do help thank you
I did them separately, but I don't see a problem with doing them together. The material in the beginning of both classes is nearly the same, to the point where both first midterms will be on basically the exact same material. So if anything, you'll probably do even better on them by taking the classes together.

goodnews.inc says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-21-2009 at 11:17 PM   #37
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

I think you'll have to do some hard timetable gymnastics as time goes on. Many of the 4th year Commerce classes are only offered in 1 section that has class once a week in a 3 hour chunk. Then there are lots of group meetings. Scheduling Science courses that have labs might prove very difficult unless you're willing to do summer courses. The cost of this is lost $ from working a summer job or summer internship. Also, if you end up having to take extra courses (extra meaning more than you need to graduate) then that's extra tuition and book money.

I'm not saying it can't be done. But I do think it will be very hard to do Hons Commerce & a Science Minor without summer school or extra courses.

You should contact your APO and ask them if anyone else had made this work in the past.

Alex McColl
Hons. Commerce & Econ Minor - 2008

goodnews.inc says thanks to Alex McColl for this post.
Old 06-22-2009 at 04:44 PM   #38
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McColl View Post
Scheduling Science courses that have labs might prove very difficult unless you're willing to do summer courses.
LOTS of upper-year bio (mostly third and fourth year) do not have labs. And if a course has a lab it is also dependent on what area of Bio it falls under. You'd have to see what courses are required for the minor, and if any of them have labs according to the course descriptions.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

goodnews.inc says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-22-2009 at 05:04 PM   #39
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

The minor for biology is very general in terms of courses:

6 units BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03 (or 1AA3)
18 units Levels II, III, IV Biology or Molecular Biology including at least six units from Levels III, IV Biology or Molecular Biology Source: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1537.html

goodnews.inc says thanks to jhan523 for this post.