MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm missing a course from my timetable? katherinelwk Academics 3 08-07-2012 12:09 AM
Malaysian Pyscho Mother Beating Her 8-Month Old Helpless Baby jim1 General Discussion 13 05-21-2012 10:02 AM
missing move-in day dumbconsumer Residence & Housing 3 08-20-2010 11:12 AM
Missing only 1 pre-req course for degree jordan19 Academics 24 08-10-2010 10:08 AM
Missing! mackid91 General Discussion 5 02-03-2010 11:29 AM

Malaysian jet carrying 239 people gone missing

Old 03-07-2014 at 10:53 PM   #1
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Malaysian jet carrying 239 people gone missing
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

I find it hard to believe that they still haven't found it.
Is this even possible with the advanced technology that we have today?
Old 03-07-2014 at 10:56 PM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Yes? Usually when planes are going missing, their fate is unknown until debris are found. But since in 99% missing planes crash, everyone assumes they crash right after the signal goes silent.

When that French plane crashed into the ocean a few years back it's fate was also "unknown".

Last edited by MrPlinkett : 03-08-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2014 at 11:12 PM   #3
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayy View Post
I find it hard to believe that they still haven't found it.
Is this even possible with the advanced technology that we have today?
Yes, it's possible. Even with advanced technology, it's very hard to keep electronics working if the plane has crashed on high impact, or sunk to the bottom of the ocean. The only thing that is designed to survive a plane crash is the flight data recorder (black box), and even that usually stops working after a crash. It just maintains the historical information.

Also, planes fly over remote locations, so it's highly likely that no one on the ground ever saw the plane go down.
Old 03-07-2014 at 11:23 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

That is very saddening and terrifying to hear. I'm hoping the most if not all of the people are found alive. It would be so very unfortunate to personally know one of the people who are currently missing..
Old 03-07-2014 at 11:28 PM   #5
onedayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
That is very saddening and terrifying to hear. I'm hoping the most if not all of the people are found alive. It would be so very unfortunate to personally know one of the people who are currently missing..
It's been missing for >10 hours and there hasn't been a single communication since.
The chance is very slim, but I really hope they are all well.
Old 03-08-2014 at 12:04 PM   #6
TrinidadTT
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Vietnamese Air Force has found an oil slick off the coast of Vietnam. They are saying its the same stuff found in jet fuel tanks so their is evidence that the plane has crashed somewhere. As well, there are reports that there were two individuals on that flight with stolen passports from an Austrian and Italian national. This is becoming a strange story now...
Old 03-08-2014 at 07:41 PM   #7
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinidadTT View Post
Vietnamese Air Force has found an oil slick off the coast of Vietnam. They are saying its the same stuff found in jet fuel tanks so their is evidence that the plane has crashed somewhere. As well, there are reports that there were two individuals on that flight with stolen passports from an Austrian and Italian national. This is becoming a strange story now...
Not really, passports being stolen isn't that strange or crazy. Either way, it's heartbreaking and I hope that they are found.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 03-08-2014 at 09:44 PM   #8
TrinidadTT
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
Not really, passports being stolen isn't that strange or crazy. Either way, it's heartbreaking and I hope that they are found.
It actually is strange since it now brings in the possibility of terrorism playing a part..

Amaryll, FujiApple, Ponyo like this.
Old 03-09-2014 at 12:02 AM   #9
FujiApple

Liked: 0 Times

Yes, now the possibility of terrorism is included, as 2 people who took the plane used a stolen passport, especially China just suffered from a terrorism attack at KunMing Train Station a week ago. This is a very sad news, since the destination is in China, about 159 passengers are Chinese, about 40 of them are in their young 20s and 30s, there are also 2 babies on that plane. I cannot imagine what their family will feel like, especially China has single-child policy, this is devastating to any parents, losing their only son/daughter. Again, it is always devastating to lose anyone you love so deeply. I hope at least some of them survive.
Old 03-09-2014 at 12:44 AM   #10
onedayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiApple View Post
Yes, now the possibility of terrorism is included, as 2 people who took the plane used a stolen passport, especially China just suffered from a terrorism attack at KunMing Train Station a week ago. This is a very sad news, since the destination is in China, about 159 passengers are Chinese, about 40 of them are in their young 20s and 30s, there are also 2 babies on that plane. I cannot imagine what their family will feel like, especially China has single-child policy, this is devastating to any parents, losing their only son/daughter. Again, it is always devastating to lose anyone you love so deeply. I hope at least some of them survive.
Hmm. It's kind of strange that they didn't make it to China if terrorism was indeed involved. Maybe the pilot crashed into the ocean on purpose to avoid terrorism taking place?
If it landed on water, wouldn't people be able to survive? At least some of them?
Old 03-09-2014 at 12:55 AM   #11
sangha06

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Hmm. It's kind of strange that they didn't make it to China if terrorism was indeed involved. Maybe the pilot crashed into the ocean on purpose to avoid terrorism taking place?
If it landed on water, wouldn't people be able to survive? At least some of them?
Not necessarily. Air France Flight 447 crashed into the ocean and no one survived.
Old 03-09-2014 at 10:23 AM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I'd think there would be an even slimmer chance of anyone surviving if it crashed into water.

I just hope they find the black box, so they can figure out what actually happened. Not knowing is awful.
Old 03-09-2014 at 12:14 PM   #13
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

1) Lost on radar
2) Immediate switch to GPS -> it stops working
3) They go to last known reported location as soon as possible. They find oil slick

IF the plane survived with any structural integrity enough to allow people to escape alive, the redundant tracking systems would have alerted authorities. This is not "Lost". Even with 99% likelihood (according to all evidence), they often will not declare the plane officially crashed until a black box is found. Said box is probably at the bottom of a trench right now and will not be found.

As for modern day tracking technologies, there are two major systems
1) Radar (every single plane on the planet is tracked....mostly for defense purposes after 911)
2) Multiple Gps systems in every plane.

The only way to pretty much guarantee those systems dont work is to blow the airplane up over water. There is the possibility that such systems could fail (or not be available to authorities) if power completely cut to the plane's electronics and it crashed in the water.
Old 03-09-2014 at 10:56 PM   #14
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

they're all flying with Jesus (my dead gardener who flew planes as a hobby) in heaven.
Old 03-10-2014 at 09:24 AM   #15
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
... -_- you are joking.. right? Jump out of a plane at 30,000 feet without a parachute, and let us know if the water softens the impact for you. You might as well be landing on concrete when falling from that altitude.