MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to bring!? Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-26-2010 08:11 PM
Where to get boxes for moving? TTHX Residence & Housing 4 04-29-2010 01:20 PM
How many boxes? Iman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-18-2008 06:36 PM

How many boxes do people actually bring?

Old 08-26-2010 at 01:39 AM   #1
olive

Liked: Liked 4 Times

How many boxes do people actually bring?
I was just wondering how much stuff people usually bring? Like how many average sized boxes? Does anyone have a picture of all their stuff in boxes? I really don't want to show up with 5X more stuff than everyone else :(
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:49 AM   #2
sagar35

Liked: 0 Times

Oh I totally feel the same..
like do i bring my whole wardrope lol?
I only live like 10 min away but I am still living in res.
Ps, your in life science? me too
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:55 AM   #3
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

I will bring like luggage instead of boxes .. Easy , but I'm not going to res Live 5 mins away
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:02 AM   #4
sagar35

Liked: 0 Times

if your not moving into res why are you bringing luggage lol?
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:14 AM   #5
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Might go next year .. I hate living at home
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:17 AM   #6
JL37

Liked: 5 Times

I brought roughly like 3 or 4 boxes and a garbage bag. It wasn't too much stuff compared to some people I saw who brought boxes upon boxes of stuff that they probably didn't use at all throughout the year
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:19 AM   #7
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

In my first year I brought around 10 small boxes and two cases full of clothes. Way too much. Don't bring your whole wardrobe and try and pack as light as possible. You can always bring stuff back from a trip home and you will shop when you get here.

But no one will care/notice how many boxes you have. Bring however much you think you'll need

olive says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:17 PM   #8
t3hbovinator

Liked: Liked 3 Times

When I was going into first year I was told to only pack what I'd need for two weeks, and if I needed anything else I could always go home at a later time and bring it. It worked out well for me, and I ended up forgetting a lot of things any way haha. But some people get really into it and bring like bookcases and stuff... That's a little intense.
Old 08-26-2010 at 03:23 PM   #9
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

I agree with Elizabeth bring only what you need for the 1st 2 weeks it will honestly be better....less clutter in your room. You wont have that over whelming feeling of un packing everything. It will also give your reps less work since they move in the stuff you bring.
Old 08-26-2010 at 03:40 PM   #10
dsouzajj2010

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar35 View Post
Oh I totally feel the same..
like do i bring my whole wardrope lol?
I only live like 10 min away but I am still living in res.
Ps, your in life science? me too
haha i live mad close too
stoney creek to be exact, and im gonna be living on rez too

lmao did your friends look at you weird when you told them that you were going to mac AND LIVING ON REZ

everyone i told that to tripped balls
and just couldnt comprehend my decision to live on rez, even tho i live mad close
Old 08-26-2010 at 04:03 PM   #11
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouzajj2010 View Post
haha i live mad close too
stoney creek to be exact, and im gonna be living on rez too

lmao did your friends look at you weird when you told them that you were going to mac AND LIVING ON REZ

everyone i told that to tripped balls
and just couldnt comprehend my decision to live on rez, even tho i live mad close
yea why did you decide to live on rez lol
seems like mad waste of money
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:26 PM   #12
Carly.

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
I was just wondering how much stuff people usually bring? Like how many average sized boxes? Does anyone have a picture of all their stuff in boxes? I really don't want to show up with 5X more stuff than everyone else :(

Id say...bring a lot haha becasue I dont want to be the only one with tons of stuff!!
Old 08-27-2010 at 08:34 AM   #13
dsouzajj2010

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
yea why did you decide to live on rez lol
seems like mad waste of money

i wanted the experience of living on rez, and i wanted to be really close to uni in my first year without the hassle of commuting
money isnt my first priority, education is. i knew spending a couple grand on rez would make some of my problems go away..

for example: what am i gonna do when i leave for home at the end of the day, and then realize i need a library book asap

live at home: id be ****ed
live on rez: take a walk to the library
Old 08-27-2010 at 08:51 AM   #14
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

I tend to overpack and ended up bring 4 or 5 boxes... Then I had my bedding separate that I just carried in on it's own and about 2 or 3 bags (for clothes, shoes, jackets, etc). Yeah it was a lot, but people move it in for you and I never needed to borrow anything. Just be sure to label everything with your name, student number, residence and room (and what it is, just to make things easier for you) and you should have no problems.
Old 08-27-2010 at 08:56 AM   #15
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouzajj2010 View Post
i wanted the experience of living on rez, and i wanted to be really close to uni in my first year without the hassle of commuting
money isnt my first priority, education is. i knew spending a couple grand on rez would make some of my problems go away..

for example: what am i gonna do when i leave for home at the end of the day, and then realize i need a library book asap

live at home: id be ****ed
live on rez: take a walk to the library
I did the same thing and I was in Whidden, too. I'm from Waterdown, it's about 15 minutes from Mac, and still packed like I was coming from North Bay. It's a pretty ideal set up when home is super close and you live in residence; you don't have to pay to do laundry if you can drop it off at home, sometimes it's nice to go home for a day if you're really hungover, travelling back and forth during holidays is a breeze.. The res experience really doesn't compare to anything else and you'll be really glad you did it