MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it's fun to stay at the L-C-B-O ... macbaby07 General Discussion 3 08-30-2010 03:08 PM
Can you stay just one semester in residence? drew4008 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-26-2010 03:31 PM
Parking in M lot overnight??? Olivia_M Automotive & Transportation 4 01-15-2010 10:37 AM
Can I park overnight outside Commons? jubilantx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-14-2009 08:36 AM
Guests On Welcome Week fuzzyskittle General Discussion 14 08-30-2009 10:14 AM

How many days can guests (e.g. mom) stay overnight in residence?

Old 08-30-2009 at 12:29 AM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah... mom + residence = ???

Nothing against your mother or your relationship with your mother, and not that you should really care what other people think about you, but it's just very awkward.

I totally get that though, I lived off-campus and my mom wanted to visit a lot ... yeah, I wasn't a fan at all. Your mom probably wants to see how you're doing, but it's always good to go home to your family and update them on the haps in your life.
Old 08-30-2009 at 01:00 AM   #17
jc24

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
(And about people laughing; while university is a more mature place and I wouldn't want to intimidate you or anybody else reading this - there are dumbasses in every corner of life who laugh at things like people getting blown up and crippled individuals. If they exist in any situation, they will laugh tastelessly at things that don't really concern them and never will. If they don't, we should count our blessings.)

love this.
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:00 AM   #18
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about what people say...

Afzal likes this.
Old 08-30-2009 at 09:07 AM   #19
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I don't think it's really about worrying what people say, just like... no offense to anyone, but people, especially teenagers and young adults, are very very judgemental of their peers. It's tough if you're a first year starting out, trying to make friends - granted, if people make fun of you or think strange of you for bringing your mother to residence, they probably wouldn't be good friends anyway... but like I said, we're all pretty judgemental. So, yeah... not only that, it's just not really giving you a sense of independence if your mom is always checking up on you.
Old 08-30-2009 at 11:01 AM   #20
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

As others said going home to visit on a weekend is a great alternative. plus you dont have class and you and your mom are both in a position where you feel comfortable.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 08-31-2009 at 12:38 AM   #21
fffw

Liked: 0 Times

my roomate had her mom stay over last year for the weekend and it was the most awkard thing of life, not only for meand my other roomate but also for the people on my floor (her mom would just walk into the common room and start reading the paper) so i dont know if its the best idea plus our rm told her that parents are not supposed to stay in res with you
Old 08-31-2009 at 03:12 AM   #22
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffw View Post
my roomate had her mom stay over last year for the weekend and it was the most awkard thing of life, not only for meand my other roomate but also for the people on my floor (her mom would just walk into the common room and start reading the paper) so i dont know if its the best idea plus our rm told her that parents are not supposed to stay in res with you
lol, mom with 3 roommates would be awkward
but mom in a single room would be much less awkward i guess but you shouldn't care much about what people think
If presence of your mom is absolutely necessary for you to settle in then you should do so otherwise it might affect your studies. there will always be people who understand
Old 08-31-2009 at 06:36 AM   #23
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

parents in res?

never seen that happen. this is really your time.. you guys should learn to be apart.
Old 09-01-2009 at 01:40 AM   #24
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Am I the only one who thinks that's cute? I mean...I only wish I was close enough with my mom.

Then again, I'm not exactly marching in any coolness parades.

hamnahx02 likes this.
Old 09-01-2009 at 01:52 AM   #25
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that's cute? I mean...I only wish I was close enough with my mom.
Might be cute in the sense that you don't have to deal with it, but yeah, I think you're the only one. lol

Yeah someone in my res had her mother stay in her room, without the regards of her room mate. It was awkward as hell.

Your mother and yourself may be comfortable with the idea, but ask those in your suite if they're okay with it first. Doesn't matter what people will say about you, but consider the feelings of others, since you're not the only one that will be dealing with her.
Old 09-01-2009 at 02:10 AM   #26
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
Might be cute in the sense that you don't have to deal with it, but yeah, I think you're the only one. lol
I'm not quite sure exactly what there is to deal with...I mean no, I don't have to deal with this personally, but wherever I go in life there are always dumb idiots I try to avoid...at school, at the workplace, everywhere...heck, even some professors I would classify as 'dumb idiots' because they just don't agree with me (agree in a 'personality' way)...and the same goes for everyone, there are just certain personality types that clash.

If the mom is particularly annoying, to you, stop and think how many other annoying people live in your rez...then stop and think of how you deal with / avoid them...then you'll see it isn't a big deal.

In my opinion the title 'mom' commands some respect...and I'd rather be annoyed by someone's mom than by someone who deserves no respect...

EDIT: And to the OP: more power to you. Hopefully you find some people in your rez who can see my opinion and not give you a hard time...However, if after a visit or two, your dorm-mates are coming to you and complaining about something she does (like suppose she starts awkward conversations with unwilling students), then you owe it to everyone, including you and your mother, to let her know so she can take some sort of action.

Last edited by Mowicz : 09-01-2009 at 02:18 AM.