MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 hours straight of class? dreamer21 Academics 23 06-18-2011 05:31 PM
A Question For Non-Coop 1st Year Engineering Students VastHorizon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-03-2009 05:44 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM
Welcome Week Reps -- for first year students lorend General Discussion 2 09-02-2007 12:14 AM

How many hours a week do first year engineering students spend in class?

Members have rated post #262825 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 07-31-2011 at 08:09 PM   #16
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
He hasn't gone through each first year class so he is still assuming that you need a textbook for each class to succeed basically.
I live with 4 engineers, all four in four different fields, all four with internships from Canada's top employers. They never went to class, they studied from their books and for concepts they could not grasp they would speak to their Ta's. Some professors get mad, and they force you to come to class and waste your time by adding a participation/attendance component.
Old 07-31-2011 at 08:48 PM   #17
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
I live with 4 engineers, all four in four different fields, all four with internships from Canada's top employers. They never went to class, they studied from their books and for concepts they could not grasp they would speak to their Ta's. Some professors get mad, and they force you to come to class and waste your time by adding a participation/attendance component.

That was like me in first year math. Couldn't 'absorb' what the prof was saying. I found reading that textbook was more useful to me than going to lectures.
Old 07-31-2011 at 09:01 PM   #18
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

You should expect a number of useless classes you can skip. Figure out what you can skip now (should not be hard), and rearrange your timetable so that you can optimize your sleep/studying.
Old 07-31-2011 at 11:12 PM   #19
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I love how a student who hasn't started first year and attended a lecture yet is arguing in this convo...

Anyways, you can verify via the undergrad calender and master timetable as to if you have all required classes, and once you do, thats all you need. Check degree audit once the term starts and print out a copy and just confirm you have all the required courses.

cjdzl likes this.
Old 07-31-2011 at 11:36 PM   #20
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I love how a student who hasn't started first year and attended a lecture yet is arguing in this convo...

Anyways, you can verify via the undergrad calender and master timetable as to if you have all required classes, and once you do, thats all you need. Check degree audit once the term starts and print out a copy and just confirm you have all the required courses.
meh I wouldn't blame incoming first years tend to be naive. I know I was, i had perfect attendance through out high school, that all went down the drain after my first month.
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:38 AM   #21
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Everyone doesn't learn the material from skipping all the lectures and studying at home.
I'm not in Engineering (obviously), but not everyone learns from attending lectures and studying 24/7, so what's your point?.. From my own experiences in my first year classes, I attended lectures just to take down the bare minimum amount of points (I jotted down some of the points the Prof stated they'd go over or a few points from an overhead, if they didn't have those, I didn't take anything down), I mostly played around on my computer or on the internet and I barely studied, yet I did just fine. So I'd say I didn't really waste my tuition...
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:08 AM   #22
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
I'm not in Engineering (obviously), but not everyone learns from attending lectures and studying 24/7, so what's your point?.. From my own experiences in my first year classes, I attended lectures just to take down the bare minimum amount of points (I jotted down some of the points the Prof stated they'd go over or a few points from an overhead, if they didn't have those, I didn't take anything down), I mostly played around on my computer or on the internet and I barely studied, yet I did just fine. So I'd say I didn't really waste my tuition...
Yea, the "barely studied" thing won't cut it in engineering though. Either you attend all lectures and absorb it like mad (And this is possible. I know of only one person who is capable of this) or you study like mad. Either way, you end up practicing the calculations and theories in many different cases/scenarios.
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:41 AM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Yea, the "barely studied" thing won't cut it in engineering though. Either you attend all lectures and absorb it like mad (And this is possible. I know of only one person who is capable of this) or you study like mad. Either way, you end up practicing the calculations and theories in many different cases/scenarios.
My gf is like that, she can sit there and literally understand the full lecture in 1 go if she pays attention in class... I wish I was able to do that, it would motivate me to go more, lol
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:47 AM   #24
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
But sometimes the lectures and prof's way of teaching can be useless and a waste of time.
Case in point: Wei Zhao, Engineering Math 1ZC3.

And to believe I actually wasted my time going to his class for half a semester and got a 65 on his first midterm. Then I started skipping and got a 12 in the class.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:03 AM   #25
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

When i started skipping 1zc3, thats when i started to skip other classes. zhao was the worst prof ever.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:05 AM   #26
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
When i started skipping 1zc3, thats when i started to skip other classes. zhao was the worst prof ever.
Too many crappy profs in EE... especially 3rd year, lol.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:33 AM   #27
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
That's nice, every first year isn't/going to be an Engineer.

EDIT:
Facepalm received by blackdragon. I was going to mention the last part of your post (percentage of your overall mark comes from participation/attendance). If you didn't attend wouldn't it be impossible to receive a 12 then? Also, ah I see..fair enough.

Last edited by anonanon987 : 08-01-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:36 AM   #28
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
That's nice, every first year isn't/going to be an Engineer.
This topic is about Engineering...
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:39 AM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

People actually listen in lectures? I literally only go to lectures for 3 reasons:

1. To write down notes (only if the profs if one of those profs that's like 'You're screwed if you don't come to class and take notes), which I don't bother learning until an assignment/test.

2. To hand shit in.

3. To get back marked assignments/tests.

One of my classes I only went to because it was literally right after my other class in the same room... and I was too lazy to move. As far as I'm concerned, that class was actually SFWR ENG 3X03 - Studies into StarCraft 2.

I just make my own notes later from the book. Not gonna lie though, you'll have a shit ton of homework.

I find people that actually go and try to learn in class (lol auditory learners) get the least return for the amount of work they do.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:43 AM   #30
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Yeah, that's why I started it off with the whole "I'm not in Engineering" thing because I figured it would require a lot of studying.