MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much stuff can we bring on move-in day? Osama Les Prince Forum 3 06-26-2012 12:11 PM
What to bring on move in day? ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 09-02-2010 01:24 PM
How many boxes do people actually bring? olive First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 08-28-2010 02:09 PM
what to bring to res lorend Residence & Housing 48 08-09-2008 12:21 PM

How many people can you bring on move in day?

Old 08-28-2012 at 07:41 PM   #1
Unregistered

How many people can you bring on move in day?
I have about 10 people that want to come with me on move-in day... we're bringing two minivans. Is that okay ?
Old 08-28-2012 at 07:47 PM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

lol yah. make sure you have everything labelled with your name, building #, and room #
there will be people there that will move your stuff in for you
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-28-2012 at 07:52 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I'm pretty sure you can't bring a boat load of people with you on move in day... reason being is that there will be SO many people there. The biggest no-no is the extra car, but like what the previous poster said, there are people there specifically there to help you move in, otherwise the halls would be cluttered with so many randoms (family, friends, etc). Some residence halls and junctions (especially the rooms) are a bit small and can't accommodate a huge flow of people so...
Old 08-28-2012 at 08:00 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I'm pretty sure you can't bring a boat load of people with you on move in day... reason being is that there will be SO many people there. The biggest no-no is the extra car, but like what the previous poster said, there are people there specifically there to help you move in, otherwise the halls would be cluttered with so many randoms (family, friends, etc). Some residence halls and junctions (especially the rooms) are a bit small and can't accommodate a huge flow of people so...
I don't think there are rules strictly against it, but yeah, it's not recommended for those reasons.
Parking will be an issue to begin with and you'll be taking up two spots, and fitting ten people in your room while everyone is trying to move stuff will be a nightmare, most likely 7 of those people will just get in the way and irritate people. You don't actually move any of your stuff, there are volunteers who move it all from your vehicle to your doorstep.
So yeah, basically there's no need for so many people, and they will just get in the way of everything and everyone else. I get that people's families may want to come for sentimental reasons or whatever, but can you imagine if every student moving in brought ten people and two cars? It's more of a consideration thing for others. I don't believe there are rules stopping you, though.
Old 08-28-2012 at 08:22 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

if you go in the morning, its pretty dead (9am) so you wouldnt have a problem with the parking or w.e.
Old 08-28-2012 at 09:19 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
if you go in the morning, its pretty dead (9am) so you wouldnt have a problem with the parking or w.e.
Yes, but then someone coming later will have a problem with parking. Like I said, it's a problem when you consider the other people moving in, not as much of a problem for the one person bringing everyone.
Old 08-28-2012 at 09:34 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^not really. a rush wont come until like noon. before that everything flows pretty nicely.
Old 08-28-2012 at 09:43 PM   #8
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

I'd say no, especially if you have a room mate. Imagine trying to move your stuff in while an entire family was standing there that you didn't know at all. That's reaalllyy overwhelming. A few people is fine but 10 might be overkill.