who went to math 1za3 yesterday ? theBomb Academics 5 09-11-2010 12:59 PM

Maple Software for Math 1ZA3

Old 08-11-2011 at 03:08 PM   #1
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Maple Software for Math 1ZA3
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can re-use the product key when installing this software from the CD? Or is the product key truly a one time thing? If anyone knows where I can find this on the internet for free, please feel free to link it here. Thanks,

herBs
Old 08-11-2011 at 03:10 PM   #2
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Re-use in what sense, like you've already bought it before, or you're taking someone elses? I'm guessing they wouldn't let you re-use it...

But, 5 bucks says you can find it off of DC++ when it starts up in the fall. Besides, everyone just takes the assignment off of someone else; if you find someone nice enough/do it in a group they might even do the submission for you, lol.

But yeah, I got mine off of DC++, I'm sure you can torrent it or something too.

anonanon987, Mahes all say thanks to Zimonada for this post.

Mahes likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 03:11 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Like use someone else's product key with their CD I'm buying? Why wouldn't they let me use their product key if they're giving me their CD? Also, those assignments don't help you in any sense so it is worth getting off of someone else? Lastly, what do you mean submit assignments for me?
Old 08-11-2011 at 03:19 PM   #4
Zimonada

If you have the CD and the key then it might be worth a shot at least.

The assignments do help very marginally to understand the material, which is good, but Maple (AFAIK) you only use for most of first year, then switch to MATLAB. Some people (like myself) couldn't be bothered to learn Maple (or pay to buy it, for that matter) for the span of ~6 months, only to theoretically never use it again. But upper years might use it, depending on the program I guess, you'd have to ask around for that. In the second year maths they use MATLAB though.

For submission, the way it works is it's all done online. You log onto the math site with your student info and attach your Maple file. Somewhere on your Maple file they'll get you to list your student number/name/etc. so they can mark it accordingly. What I meant by submit was that technically speaking, someone else could submit it for you. I had a friend (with a Mac, lololol) who didn't want/couldn't get Maple to work on his computer, so he'd help out with the assignments with a friend, then get them to submit it twice: once on their account for themselves, and again on his account for himself.

anonanon987 says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 03:43 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

The CD key they give you is a limited CD key and only lasts one year. Also, if you get it from someone who has already used it and it hasn't expired (like they bought it half way through the year or something) it's a massive pain in the ass.

They have the dumbest anti-piracy measure ever. They record the hardware configuration of your computer so unless it matches exactly after your first installation, it will not work. I remember I switched a hard-drive in first year and had to go through a long string of emails to get the thing working again.

Needless to say, it's easier to torrent it. If you don't know how to do that, well, get out of engineering.

anonanon987 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 04:08 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The CD key they give you is a limited CD key and only lasts one year. Also, if you get it from someone who has already used it and it hasn't expired (like they bought it half way through the year or something) it's a massive pain in the ass.

They have the dumbest anti-piracy measure ever. They record the hardware configuration of your computer so unless it matches exactly after your first installation, it will not work. I remember I switched a hard-drive in first year and had to go through a long string of emails to get the thing working again.

Needless to say, it's easier to torrent it. If you don't know how to do that, well, get out of engineering.
Ah I see, so I guess it is better to just torrent. How much of the marks come from these assignments you do with the MAPLE software? Dillon, I know how to torrent, and I'm in Comp Sci.
Old 08-11-2011 at 04:34 PM   #7
Zimonada

I think it was 5 assignments, 3% each last year. There's also the same thing for 1ZC3, same scheme, just the last assignment (or two, iunno) were on MATLAB instead of Maple.

It's the epitome of "free marks".

anonanon987 says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 04:35 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

So 15% of your mark just came from these assignments? Damn. Would it be okay if you're working with an older version of MapleSoft like v.13 or v.14? Also what is CalcLab? Apparently that is optional for 1ZA3.

Last edited by anonanon987 : 08-11-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 07:14 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Anyone?
Also do tutorials start from Sept. 8 or at a later date?
Old 08-11-2011 at 07:16 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
So 15% of your mark just came from these assignments? Damn. Would it be okay if you're working with an older version of MapleSoft like v.13 or v.14? Also what is CalcLab? Apparently that is optional for 1ZA3.
Typically older versions are okay. Before you hand it in though, just check with one of your noob friends who actually bought the software to make sure everything you wrote runs okay.

anonanon987 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 07:18 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Typically older versions are okay. Before you hand it in though, just check with one of your noob friends who actually bought the software to make sure everything you wrote runs okay.
Lol, alright thanks Dillon. What about tutorial dates?
Old 08-11-2011 at 07:20 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Lol, alright thanks Dillon. What about tutorial dates?
Math tutorials aren't compulsory... I've actually never been to one.

I think they announce the date for those later on towards when you actually start getting assignments.
Old 08-11-2011 at 07:22 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

No I meant like do they start from Sept. 8? Like in Term 1, Monday, I have a core, then a tutorial then a lab back to back in three different courses. If I go there, I won't be the only one there for the tutorial and lab right? (The lab is also like a tutorial, stupid Geog)
Old 08-11-2011 at 07:23 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Oh, no. Labs/tutorials don't run until the first full week of school is done. Sometimes they don't start up until even later than that.
Old 08-11-2011 at 07:24 PM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Will they ever notify us on this or they just assume you know this? xD