Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM
Mark Check syan9184 Academics 18 12-25-2009 12:41 PM

mark needed to get osap again..

Old 02-22-2010 at 11:02 PM   #1
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

mark needed to get osap again..
Hi, I was wondering.. is there is a minimum mark that a student needs to get in order to be able to get osap again for second year?
Old 02-22-2010 at 11:30 PM   #2
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsanx View Post
Hi, I was wondering.. is there is a minimum mark that a student needs to get in order to be able to get osap again for second year?
Nope, it's not (exactly) mark based.
That being said, they send out an email every year saying that your OSAP may be affected by multiple course failures, program changes, or a reduced course load, but I'm not sure how it would be affected.
Old 02-23-2010 at 01:35 AM   #3
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I can at least attest to the reduced course load portion. You get reassessed and the amount of loan you are entitled for decreases, hopefully not to a level where you lose the loan entirely (I was lucky, and this didn't happen). You would have to pay back any overpayments (which I haven't done yet).

I switched from an initial 33 down to 27 units this academic year, with the intention of taking up an additional 12 over this summer. So I'm still full-time, but obviously if you drop down to part-time status you're opening up another can of worms.
Old 02-23-2010 at 09:40 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I can at least attest to the reduced course load portion. You get reassessed and the amount of loan you are entitled for decreases, hopefully not to a level where you lose the loan entirely (I was lucky, and this didn't happen). You would have to pay back any overpayments (which I haven't done yet).

I switched from an initial 33 down to 27 units this academic year, with the intention of taking up an additional 12 over this summer. So I'm still full-time, but obviously if you drop down to part-time status you're opening up another can of worms.
Yeah, you aren't entitled to OSAP if you are part-time. You need a 60% course load, 40% if you are permanently disabled.
Old 02-23-2010 at 10:32 AM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Nope, it's not (exactly) mark based.
That being said, they send out an email every year saying that your OSAP may be affected by multiple course failures, program changes, or a reduced course load, but I'm not sure how it would be affected.
As for program changes - OSAP gives more money to some programs than others. For example, if you switch from Humanities to Engineering, you'll get a lot more money from OSAP. If you switch from Engineering to Humanities, they'll take money away.
Old 02-23-2010 at 08:47 PM   #6
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

kk thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2010 at 08:26 AM   #7
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
As for program changes - OSAP gives more money to some programs than others. For example, if you switch from Humanities to Engineering, you'll get a lot more money from OSAP. If you switch from Engineering to Humanities, they'll take money away.
I think they only look at the cost of the program and amount of work, not the program itself. Engineering kids pay more per unit than a lot of other faculties, and have more courses per year. If you were to overload with courses to increase you tuition, you could probably get the same amount.

Although OSAP isn't exactly my area of expertise, so I could be wrong.