MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second year science program macbaby07 Academics 1 06-03-2010 11:59 AM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Grades needed to stay in your program. rebeccaaa Academics 2 12-15-2009 09:29 AM
Easy Summer Orientation Program: Upper-Year Volunteers Needed!! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-08-2009 12:26 PM

Marks needed to get into a science co-op program in 3rd year?

Old 09-16-2009 at 04:09 PM   #1
zakrata

Liked: 0 Times

Marks needed to get into a science co-op program in 3rd year?
I was wondering if anyone knows the cut-off mark range for students that get accepted into one of the science co-op programs available starting 3rd year.
Old 09-16-2009 at 04:15 PM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Most programs require you to have at least a 6.0 cgpa and completion of a set of courses.

6.0 for a limited enrollment program in high demand probably isn't going to cut it though and from anecdotal evidence I've been exposed to, you're generally looking to need an average of 9.5+.
Old 09-16-2009 at 04:27 PM   #3
zakrata

Liked: 0 Times

Do co-op programs look at your work/volunteer experience, or do they work on the basis of GPA. If a person has a 9.5+ avg with very minimal work/volunteer experience, will he/she be accepted over a person with a lower average, but with more work/volunteer experience.
Old 09-16-2009 at 04:42 PM   #4
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I'm really not sure.

I know a guy who lived on res with me first year who was basically a hermit and got into coop for chem, so I'm not sure if volunteer experience is a necessity.
Old 09-16-2009 at 05:34 PM   #5
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

I was accepted into the Biology & Pharmacology Science Co-op and I can say that marks are not everything. Most programs go through an interview process along with an application so that those in charge actually get to know you...so in that case, I would say experiences are beneficial because they shape who you are, but certain experiences (ie. lab work, or sciency jobs) aren't mandatory.

kmer says thanks to Ashlie for this post.