MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it's fun to stay at the L-C-B-O ... macbaby07 General Discussion 3 08-30-2010 03:08 PM
Can you stay just one semester in residence? drew4008 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-26-2010 03:31 PM
Marks needed to get into a science co-op program in 3rd year? zakrata General Discussion 4 09-16-2009 05:34 PM
Will I get to stay in? MidniteSpark Academics 1 05-22-2009 10:05 AM
Easy Summer Orientation Program: Upper-Year Volunteers Needed!! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 05-08-2009 12:26 PM

Grades needed to stay in your program.

Old 12-07-2009 at 08:40 PM   #1
rebeccaaa

Liked: 0 Times

Grades needed to stay in your program.
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid/obvious question.

My question is, is there a specific average or grades that you need to achieve to stay in your program? and where can I locate this on the McMaster site? I've already looked in the undergrad calendar and can't really find anything..

I'm in 2nd yr History, and the only mention of grades, states in order to get admission in the program, you need a cumulative average of 6.0, plus an average of 7.0 in your history courses. Do you need to continue these grades in 2nd year or once you are in the program, are you okay or can they kick you out of the program if you don't continue to meet those requirements? I know that you obviously can't fail courses and expect to stay in your program, but is it more lenient once you're actually in your program?
Old 12-07-2009 at 08:58 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I know that if you get something like, below a 4.0 average you're put on probation... and if you can't raise your grades you'll be kicked out. I'll check on what the exact average is.

"Upon reinstatement, the Cumulative Average for a student is reset to 0.0 on zero units. If at any review after reinstatement the student's Cumulative Average falls below 3.5, the student will be required to withdraw from the University for a period of at least 12 months."

So if you fall below a 3.5 I'm assuming, you go through the reinstatement process and start from scratch - and then if you can't get a better average you're kicked out for at least a year.

Last edited by feonateresa : 12-07-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2009 at 09:29 AM   #3

Liked: 31 Times

Most honours programs require CA of 6.0 to continue in honours. Anything less than 5.5 (For history I believe atleast) will cause you to be put on probation. 3.5 or less and you're "let go" from the University. The 7.0 is only in your level 1 history classes.