MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mary Koziol Is the New MSU President-Elect temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 117 03-08-2010 11:59 PM
Calling out Vishal Tiwari FireDragoonX General Discussion 41 02-09-2010 12:53 PM
Mary Koziol Chad Presidentials 2010 99 02-04-2010 08:07 AM
Israeli Apartheid Controversy Chad Misc 0 02-29-2008 10:41 AM

Mary Koziol & Vishal Tiwari: MSU Presidential Controversy?

Old 02-19-2010 at 01:40 PM   #46
Dave.Moore

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Secondly, "impeaching" or recall of the President is a very near-impossible task. We need approximately 650 student signatures to instigate a referendum. From there we need 2/3 of a minimum of 15% of students to vote for recall through a referendum. This process clearly taking at least a month and has never been successful (or even initiated - not sure on that one). Then there's another month in electing someone new if somehow that first part is successful. This is not something the SRA can just do because we weren't the ones who elected Vishal, it was the students.
Recall of an MSU president has only been attempted once. A petition bearing the requisite number of signatures was submitted in late 1984, triggering a referendum held on December 3 and 4, 1984. In the referendum, students voted not to recall MSU president Gordon Stirrett (964 in favour, 2,373 opposed, with 35% voter turnout). However, when Stirrett ran for re-election less than two months later, he came in 4th among 6 candidates (541 votes among 3,858 cast on the first ballot).

Under the MSU Constitution, if the position of MSU president becomes vacant during the first 6 months of the term of office (i.e. before November 1), a by-election is to be held. Vacancies after this time are filled by the MSU vice-president (administration) who then becomes acting president for the remainder of the term (i.e. to the end of April).

Four MSU presidents have resigned since 1964 (the most recent in early 1975). All have done so in the second half of their term.

.:callen:., Alvand, Boccaccio, huzaifa47, McIntyre all say thanks to Dave.Moore for this post.
Old 02-19-2010 at 06:52 PM   #47
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Enzo Lucarelli for f ucking president!

and

Quote:
-Mary had alot of First year Keeners on her team, they were apparently told according to my sources that they were guaranteed the coveted Maroons Welcome Week Rep spots if they help Mary Win. Which is what usually happens anyways since Maroons is such an insider circle where execs and senior reps get their friends in there. That organization as a body is highly out of touch with the 22,000 McMaster students.
-The same first years were also going around slandering other candidates because someone on Mary’s campaign team said so; I had one of them tell it to me myself.
and **** maroons - spirit teams are for the 1950's.

and
Quote:
False choice in spectacular abundance, a choice which lies in the juxtaposition of competing and complimentary spectacles and also in the juxtaposition of roles (signified and carried mainly by things) which are at once exclusive and overlapping, develops into a struggle of vaporous qualities meant to stimulate loyalty to quantitative triviality. This resurrects false archaic oppositions, regionalisms and racisms which serve to raise the vulgar hierarchic ranks of consumption to a preposterous ontological superiority. In this way, the endless series of trivial confrontations is set up again. from competitive sports to elections, mobilizing a sub-ludic interest. Wherever there is abundant consumption, a major spectacular opposition between youth and adults comes to the fore among the false roles--false because the adult, master of his life, does not exist and because youth, the transformation of what exists, is in no way the property of those who are now young, but of the economic system, of the dynamism of capitalism. Things rule and are young; things confront and replace one another. - Debord.

Last edited by andrew22 : 02-19-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: a