MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anybody know how to use the undergraduate master timetable ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-29-2010 11:40 PM
Master Course Timetable down?? DMe3 Academics 2 06-26-2010 09:31 AM
Master Timetable - Released! blackdragon MacInsiders Announcements 37 06-16-2010 03:51 PM
Master Timetable Down?? hellohello Academics 16 06-15-2010 11:11 AM
U of T master timetable??!! queenie Academics 8 03-29-2010 10:54 PM

Master Course Timetable Available!

Old 06-09-2008 at 06:09 PM   #16
woodlawngirl

Liked: 0 Times

Eva C- im in kine, and most of the courses do not have any labs/tutorials (KINESIOL 1CO3, 1EO3, 1FO3, 1GO3), also on the timetable it says that kinesiology is in the faculty of social science, but it switched to science this year (is that going to mess things up?)
oh and another question: how do you know how many labs/tutorials to pick a week?

thanks!
Old 06-09-2008 at 06:16 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

woodlawn girl, it seems as though you may not be able to pick your sections for all of your classes...

previous to last year, all students were assigned core, tutorial and lab sections...so it's possible that for some courses the same will continue

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-09-2008 at 06:22 PM   #18
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey woodlawngirl. Yeah you do have labs/tutorial hours for those courses but they are not listed. i am not too clear because I am not in kin. hopefully someone else can answer it. maybe there is a seperate system to sign up for it, or that it just hasn't been listed yet.
the switch from social science to science should be alright. the offices and admin will take care of everything.

what do you mean how many labs/tutorial to pick a week?
sorry, my answers aren't that great.
Old 06-09-2008 at 06:29 PM   #19
woodlawngirl

ummm, like do most classes have a certain amount of core classes and then 1 tutorial and 1 lab per week
for example, KINESIOL 1AO3 says you need 3h of lectures, and 2h of labs/tutorials. So is that 1h of lab and 1h of tutorial??
Old 06-09-2008 at 06:36 PM   #20
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

if you look at alot of the core courses, the class is usually 3 hours of lecture a week. Afterwards, in regards to the 2 hours of lab/tutorials. It depends on how the course is organized. It can be your suggestion of 1 hour lab and 1 hour of tutorial. However, it can also be organized as 2 hours of lab one week and the following would be 2 hours of tutorials. it could be alternating. It really depends on the course. You can get more details when you go to class or if you can find the course outline online. trying searching the course code on the mcmaster site. You might be able to find this coming year's outline or last year and it might give you a better idea.

I usually search for course outlines online to get a better idea of what the course is like and marking schemes. Even though it may change year to year and between different professors. Hope that helps more.
Old 06-09-2008 at 07:01 PM   #21
woodlawngirl

thanks
Old 06-09-2008 at 07:53 PM   #22
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

when do we get our hardcopy of the course calendar 2008/2009 version?
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:11 PM   #23
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Woodlawngirl: I'm in Kin also, and I was looking at the courses, and a lot of stuff didn't seem to make sense. It will work out soon, though, I hope.

I'm going to look back in a few days, and see if it all is fixed, because I'm positive that there are supposed to be more lab/tutorial hours for the courses.
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:13 PM   #24
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
when do we get our hardcopy of the course calendar 2008/2009 version?
You may be getting one during the Summer Orientation Program if your faculty is giving them out on those days. If not...if you buy them from the bookstore like everyone else.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-09-2008 at 11:08 PM   #25
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawngirl View Post
do we have to pick the times for our tutorials/labs now? because on the timetable a lot of my courses dont have any labs/tutorials when i know there is supposed to be...
When you use SOLAR to pick your courses you will be able to select not only the course, but the SECTION as well. If tutorials are available to select from, it will let you pick those.

However, for courses that don't have tutorials listed yet... it means that the profs are still waiting to see the demand first, then they will hire TAs to fufill the demand... and you will most likely hear about what tutorials you have to pick from by the second or third class.'

Remember that tutorials don't start on the first day, they usually start a few weeks into classes.
Old 06-10-2008 at 12:53 PM   #26
woodlawngirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
When you use SOLAR to pick your courses you will be able to select not only the course, but the SECTION as well. If tutorials are available to select from, it will let you pick those.

However, for courses that don't have tutorials listed yet... it means that the profs are still waiting to see the demand first, then they will hire TAs to fufill the demand... and you will most likely hear about what tutorials you have to pick from by the second or third class.'

Remember that tutorials don't start on the first day, they usually start a few weeks into classes.

isnt that weird though? because all the kinesiology students have to take those courses, so wouldnt there be a demand for tutorials?
so i should just go on and make my scheduale and ignore the tutorials for now and hope that they will fit into my scheduale??
Old 06-10-2008 at 01:21 PM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

There are several possibilities as to why they don't have the tutorials yet
- they haven't hired all the profs for the year
- they just recieved all of the numbers for the first year class two weeks ago
- you may not get a choice of tutorial at all

etc etc

Old 06-10-2008 at 05:08 PM   #28
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

According to the master timetable, I get tuesdays and Fridays off! Yes!!! (both semesters too!)
Old 06-10-2008 at 07:01 PM   #29
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Are all your tutorials scheduled in yet? Cause I bet you'll have a tutorial on one of those days and it'll mess up your plans for relaxation lol
Old 06-10-2008 at 07:31 PM   #30
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

I'm a bit worried about that bit where tutorials might not be scheduled until a few classes in...what if all those scheduled tutorials are in conflict with existing classes and the tutorials have material that count toward my mark?!

Just to vent a bit, but I went and made up my schedule so everything fits nicely...and then I find out that my materials course has yet to schedule tutorials and my math courses apparently have 2h labs EOW that also aren't scheduled yet! Unless the undergrad calendar is lying to me. ):