MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics 1B03 Capa Help ShesTheMan Academics 65 04-05-2011 10:26 PM
mastering physics access code? epikness Academics 0 03-06-2011 04:01 PM
WebAssign / Mastering Chemistry / Mastering Physics required? mazeem Academics 6 08-27-2010 12:34 PM
Help With Physics 1E03 CAPA ! Bobert Academics 2 01-10-2009 11:55 AM

Mastering Physics vs CAPA

Old 06-25-2011 at 09:48 AM   #1
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

Mastering Physics vs CAPA
Mastering Physics or CAPA, thats the question?

Is it plausible to ask the Physics Department to bring in Mastering Physics in place of CAPA?

Mastering Physics walks you through the problem whereas CAPA is......well its CAPA.
Old 06-25-2011 at 10:00 AM   #2
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by epikness View Post
Mastering Physics or CAPA, thats the question?

Is it plausible to ask the Physics Department to bring in Mastering Physics in place of CAPA?

Mastering Physics walks you through the problem whereas CAPA is......well its CAPA.
I dont think so, because students have to pay for mastering physics, its just like in Econ 1BB3, she had the term 1 students doing assignments on Aplia (which you had to pay for), but then it got changed for second term because people complained. Im pretty sure the university has a rule that students do not have to pay for something to get marks.
Old 06-25-2011 at 10:05 AM   #3
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Capa is better trust me . You need to figure out where you went wrong or you will never learn this very important skill. There is no such thing as capa/mastering physic in higher years .
Old 06-25-2011 at 10:20 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

CAPA is easy... you learn best by figuring out and doing deep processing, instead of just applying what step-by-step crap you just read.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 06-25-2011 at 10:29 AM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

They wont ever do that now. Well most likely. Mastering Chemistry is now optional due to the fact you want force students to buy software for marks.
I do see your point. When you got a CAPA question wrong, you tried to figure it out. But there should be some option that if you get it wrong (use all 10 tries) they do tell you the steps to the problem . I remember this one question that I tried so hard on. Even having the answer to another persons problem and just trying to figure out how they come up with that question. Problem was, like alot of other people as I found out later, I was visualizing the diagram completely wrong.
Old 06-25-2011 at 12:10 PM   #6
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

CAPA would be only made better if they offered the steps with the answers once the assignment was due.
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:03 PM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

It doesn't get any better than CAPA when it comes to first year physics (+ it's free!).

I think students sometimes get lazy and try to do CAPA without learning the material ahead of time. So if you are spending 5 hours on a single CAPA problem, you're doing it wrong. You should realize that CAPA problems test your understanding and are worth like 5% of your overall mark. So if you find that you are struggling, please stop doing CAPA and actually learn the material before trying again. Do some reading and when you have better understanding, you can finish CAPA later, it's not worth much.

You also need to learn how to problem solve and to figure out the flaws in your understanding. I think CAPA does a good job of this by not giving full solutions. When it comes to real life problems, you find that there are no clear cut answers and it becomes an important skill to generate new ideas and to check/validate your work. If you're really stuck on a problem, you can consult with your friends or ask a TA/prof.

TheCrucible likes this.
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:12 PM   #8
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Also if you want to figure out how a problem is done you can always ask the prof or go to the phys undergraduate help room in bsb B119 (only operates sept-april). Both are free and great sources of help.
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:18 PM   #9
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
Also if you want to figure out how a problem is done you can always ask the prof or go to the phys undergraduate help room in bsb B119 (only operates sept-april). Both are free and great sources of help.
Don't forget the Thode basement, where TAs await your questions!
Old 06-26-2011 at 06:45 AM   #10
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

thode guy was extremely unhelpful. We went after the question was closed on capa, no help. But he kinda did seem to either be in a bad mood or that just was his demeanor.
Old 06-26-2011 at 06:56 AM   #11
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

The basement help in Thode did help me, a lot, but I started going there WAY to late to help me up my grades a little. If you stay on par with your CAPA assignments, I don't think achieving a 6/7 should be unrealistic.