MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
second lecture math 1k03 and bio 1p03 santiagoeb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-13-2010 08:43 PM
Need a math tutor? Need help with Math 1M03 or 1K03? Im your guy :D ShahrukhKhan Academics 4 08-19-2010 08:31 AM
MAth 1K03 and MAth 1M03 Skye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-03-2010 06:12 PM
Need a tutor for math 1k03 ASAP jordko Academics 13 05-11-2010 10:56 PM

Math 1K03

Old 05-19-2009 at 09:28 PM   #1
MrSmith

Liked: 4 Times

Math 1K03
Hi, I will be starting my first year @ Mac this September for the business program and one of the required courses is 1K03 since i didnt take calculus in grade 12. I was hoping someone who has taken this course can comment on the difficulty of the course. Thank You
Old 05-20-2009 at 01:30 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Hi ... i didn't take this course but you can take this course for free at high school summer school... no pressure of marks either... i dunno just wanted to suggest it.

MrSmith says thanks to sinthusized for this post.
Old 05-20-2009 at 02:04 PM   #3
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

It's basically gr. 12 calc
besides, it's a required course.

in terms of difficulty, that is all up to you.
but tbh, first year commerce is a bigger joke than first year health sci. you'll probably do fine.

MrSmith says thanks to FireDragoonX for this post.
Old 05-20-2009 at 02:33 PM   #4
MrSmith

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Hi ... i didn't take this course but you can take this course for free at high school summer school... no pressure of marks either... i dunno just wanted to suggest it.
Yea I was thinking about taking it in summer school.
Old 05-20-2009 at 06:58 PM   #5
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

i just finished first year commerce.

basically, 1k03 is for ppl who didnt take gr.12 calc or got less than 79%. If u got higher than 79% you take 1f03.

to be super honest, as long as you study hard you'd do fine. i didnt even take calc.12, and i just took 1f03 for the sake of it and received a 10.0 (A-). For the 2nd term u are to take 1M03, and again i recieved A-. its all about the effort and time you put in. Your marks are proportional to the effort/time you place into the course.

i hope this helps, and hope you know what to do. Put your mind into it, and you will achieve greatness.

MrSmith says thanks to mcmaster12 for this post.
Old 05-23-2009 at 08:15 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I would disagree with you, mcmaster12. I took 1k03 and worked my butt off and only got a B-.

I was getting 80's on all of my assignments...but on my midterm (I only wrote one of two due to a death in the family) I got around a 75%. My final was worth 68%, (the percentage for the second midterm was added on to my final) and I must not have done as well comparatively.

Part of it is you own aptitude towards math, how well you write tests/exams (and I don't tend to write mathematical tests/exams well) and part of of it is your attitude towards the material and the prof.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-23-2009 at 11:29 AM   #7
eric

Liked: 0 Times

I think you should do fine in 1k03. i got 60s in grade 12 advanced functions and ended up with a 10 (A-) in 1k03 and didnt stress out to much. as long as you use your resources well such as the math help centre and review sessions you will do fine. get help early if your struggling in 1k03 and make sure you understand everything before second semester because 1m03 goes at a lot faster pace and is more difficult. good luck

MrSmith says thanks to eric for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 08:43 PM   #8
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Math 1F03
Prerequisite: One of Grade 12 Advanced Functions U, Grade 12 Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus U.

Math 1K03
Prerequisite: OSS Grade 11 Mathematics or OSIS Grade 12 Mathematics (Advanced)

What should those with neither Ontario grade 12 nor Ontario grade 11 take (out of province/international students)? Math 1F03 or Math 1k03, since they don't have the prerequisite for either and completing one of the two courses is a requirement (Business 1)?