MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MATH 1M03 or MATH 1LS3 - Business 1 Commie42 Academics 46 12-08-2012 09:47 PM
Math 1M03 or 1LS3? natalie787 Academics 5 08-24-2011 02:07 PM
Can business students take math 1ls3 dvan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-18-2011 11:07 PM

Math 1LS3 vs. Math 1M03 business 1! HELP!

Old 03-07-2014 at 03:01 PM   #1
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

Math 1LS3 vs. Math 1M03 business 1! HELP!
so i'm going into Mac's business (i got accepted yesterday!) and i emailed Mac (in January) and they said biz 1 students can take math 1LS3 instead of math 1M03 but what somebody told me is that i need to get at least a 10 in 1LS3 to consider it equivalent to 1M03 so i can move onto commerce 2. is that true? i haven't read anything like that anywhere on Mac's sites... plus 1LS3 is an anti-requisite for 1M03 so how does that work? (and the reason i want to take 1LS3 is because my high school skipped out the whole entire logarithms unit in calculus so if i take 1M03 i will fail cuz i wouldn't know what's going on and you can't fail a prerequisite in business 1 (especially since 1M03 is said to be really hard)... i'm going to summer school for calc. just to learn that unit but i really am learning the whole unit in a day so i don't think i'll understand it all that well... i ended with a 91% in calculus but the only thing that is messing up my chances in business is that 1 calc. unit!). so is it true that you need at least a 10 in 1LS3 to movie onto commerce 2?
Old 03-07-2014 at 04:23 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

just take 1m03. it isnt that hard if you do all the assignments and assigned problems.
Old 03-07-2014 at 04:43 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I heard 1M03 was easier, and not knowing logarithms will screw you over equally for 1LS3.
The course calendar doesn't say anything about needing a minimum grade in 1LS3. You used to need a minimum grade (can't remember what it was) in order to take 1AA3 afterwards, but that hasn't existed for a few years.

You can honestly just spend a few days this summer and teach yourself logarithms, or hire a tutor for a few hours. It's not that hard.
Old 03-07-2014 at 06:07 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I heard 1M03 was easier, and not knowing logarithms will screw you over equally for 1LS3.
The course calendar doesn't say anything about needing a minimum grade in 1LS3. You used to need a minimum grade (can't remember what it was) in order to take 1AA3 afterwards, but that hasn't existed for a few years.

You can honestly just spend a few days this summer and teach yourself logarithms, or hire a tutor for a few hours. It's not that hard.
Being a Commerce student myself, I can tell you that 1LS3 is much easier and enjoyable than 1M03. I dropped 1M03 second term of first year and took 1LS3 in the summer. I'm really glad I did and I would recommend 1LS3 over 1M03 any day. More of 1LS3 is review, and overall, the profs are better for that course. What you've heard about need a 10 to go onto 2nd year Commerce is completely untrue. I got less than a 10 and went on. As long as you pass, you're fine.

sidra_ says thanks to Commie42 for this post.

sidra_ likes this.
Old 03-08-2014 at 03:03 PM   #5
Freddy

Liked: 4 Times

Although I didn't take 1M03 for the math requirement, I can easily say you are better off taking 1LS3. 1M03 combines 2 terms worth of first year calculus into 1 term. As a result, almost all the theory is taken away in order to cover the bulk of that content. In the end, you end up with a course where most of the people in it aren't ready to do math due to being a at least half a year removed from their last calc course, little explanations are given to how you get solutions to the given problem, and not much time is given to review what was learned in grade 12.

Just a side note: I took 1A03/1AA3 in my first year and compared it to 1M03. Hence the explanation above.

sidra_ says thanks to Freddy for this post.

sidra_ likes this.
Old 03-08-2014 at 11:11 PM   #6
Chewie

I agree with the two people above. 1M03 is a very disorganized course in my opinion. I tried to get into 1LS3, but it was filled, so I was stuck taking 1M03 during my first year.

There are three profs and only one primarily writes the exam. It's all multiple choice for all 3 midterms and exam. All three profs that were teaching the course in Winter 2013 were terrible. I just stopped going to class, because it was a waste of time. The course was bell curved like crazy in the end. A lot of people did really bad on the exam.

1M03 is also a continuation of 1K03 (I believe), so there is no such thing as review in this course. They go straight to the middle of the textbook and goes from there. Right at the start, I was lost.

sidra_ says thanks to Chewie for this post.

sidra_ likes this.
Old 03-12-2014 at 09:33 PM   #7
sidra_

Alright thanks guys. I guess I'll be taking math 1LS3 then