MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 1LT3 Tutorials yummy! Academics 8 09-24-2011 03:51 PM
Compare Math 1lt3 And Math 1aa3 ? ruby101 Academics 21 07-07-2010 03:32 PM
Math 1LT3 Timings!!? Vaidawg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-02-2010 10:16 AM
Textbook of Math 1LT3??? jubilantx Academics 4 06-17-2010 02:15 PM

Math 1LT3

Old 12-22-2011 at 10:18 AM   #1
Sim117

Liked: 2 Times

Math 1LT3
I didn't see any reviews for math 1lt3, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they thought of the course? I appreciate the help.

I've taken LS3 already, got an A+ (thats what it says on the degree audit, I'm assuming thats a 12). Would taking AA3 be a bad idea if I've only done LS3? I don't want to screw myself.
So for now, I've added 1LT3 to my course load, but I have a conflict between a core for a course (only one available) and a math tutorial. I realize it's different from person to person, but would it be fine if I missed the tutorials, as long as I'm doing questions on my own?

Last edited by Sim117 : 12-22-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-22-2011 at 03:36 PM   #2
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Hey! I really liked the course. Erin Clements who taught it last year is one of my favourite professors at Mac.

You will absolutely not screw yourself if you take 1AA3...all first year math courses generally learn the same thing (they are antirequisites because of that). So 1LS3 will have prepared you just fine...you just may need to catch up a bit at the beginning--but that is it.

If you are interested in going into math next year, or taking any more math courses I'd say 1AA3. They do series and sequences...in LT3 you don't.

However, that's not to say you can't take higher year courses with LT3. I was in Lifesci last year and decided to go into math this year and LT3 prepared me very well (some of the stuff we did last year we also learned this year that the 1AA3/1XX3 classes didn't do).
Old 12-22-2011 at 04:35 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I took 1LS3 and then 1AA3 the following summer, and it was fine. There were some definite gaps in what was taught, but it wasn't too difficult to catch up and I ended up with the same mark in 1AA3 as I got in 1LS3.
Old 12-22-2011 at 08:36 PM   #4
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
Hey! I really liked the course. Erin Clements who taught it last year is one of my favourite professors at Mac.

You will absolutely not screw yourself if you take 1AA3...all first year math courses generally learn the same thing (they are antirequisites because of that). So 1LS3 will have prepared you just fine...you just may need to catch up a bit at the beginning--but that is it.

If you are interested in going into math next year, or taking any more math courses I'd say 1AA3. They do series and sequences...in LT3 you don't.

However, that's not to say you can't take higher year courses with LT3. I was in Lifesci last year and decided to go into math this year and LT3 prepared me very well (some of the stuff we did last year we also learned this year that the 1AA3/1XX3 classes didn't do).
There might be some stuff covered in 1LT3 that wasn't covered on 1AA3 or 1XX3 (probably the easiest topics), but there is a lot more stuff covered 1AA3/1XX3 that wasn't covered in 1LT3.
Old 12-22-2011 at 08:52 PM   #5
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

I took LT3. Me and my 3 friends in the course all did really well. The material isn't too difficult. I recommend just staying on top of your notes otherwise it can be a little overwhelming if you are trying to cram the day before a midterm. All-in-all, easy class that requires a little effort.
Old 12-22-2011 at 11:10 PM   #6
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
I took LT3. Me and my 3 friends in the course all did really well. The material isn't too difficult. I recommend just staying on top of your notes otherwise it can be a little overwhelming if you are trying to cram the day before a midterm. All-in-all, easy class that requires a little effort.
Just out of curiosity, who was your prof for Math 1LS3? I had Lovric, and he made the course pretty enjoyable. How does LT3 compare to LS3?
Old 12-22-2011 at 11:49 PM   #7
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

I am in the same boat as the OP - I took 1LS3.

Now I am registered in 1B03 but I am wondering if perhaps I should take 1LT3 instead as my "math-y" elective. To those who have taken both, which would you recommend? Or even if you've just taken one or the other, I'd still enjoy your feedback.
Old 12-23-2011 at 08:05 AM   #8
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Just out of curiosity, who was your prof for Math 1LS3? I had Lovric, and he made the course pretty enjoyable. How does LT3 compare to LS3?
I had Lovric followed by Clements. I also took AP Calc in high school so I found LS3 very simple and LT3 to me was just slightly harder material than LS3. You do a little bit of multivariable calc and volume integrals etc... I like to think of it as a 1A03/1AA3 hybrid. The pace of Clements in LT3 is a little slow imo. As a professor Clements is really kind and fun. You can always approach her with questions and she just has a good personality. Her tests aren't too difficult, again just do the assignments and you should be okay.
Old 12-23-2011 at 11:05 AM   #9
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
I am in the same boat as the OP - I took 1LS3.

Now I am registered in 1B03 but I am wondering if perhaps I should take 1LT3 instead as my "math-y" elective. To those who have taken both, which would you recommend? Or even if you've just taken one or the other, I'd still enjoy your feedback.
I'd like the answer to this too. If anyone has done both 1B03 and 1LT3 which would you recommend? I'm in 1B03 right now....
Old 12-23-2011 at 11:17 AM   #10
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Depends on what you are interested. If you want an intro to linear algebra then take that...if you want to continue on calc then do that.

I got the same mark in both....but I personally liked lt3 better.

EDIT: If you want to continue on with upper year math...pretty sure you need both.