MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
MATH 1M03 help Reda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-26-2010 10:22 PM
Math 1M03 Kat10 Academics 6 08-23-2010 03:49 PM
Need a math tutor? Need help with Math 1M03 or 1K03? Im your guy :D ShahrukhKhan Academics 4 08-19-2010 08:31 AM
MATH 1A03 or MATH 1M03? THIS COMMIE NEEDS HELP! numaya Academics 5 07-28-2010 05:45 PM
MAth 1K03 and MAth 1M03 Skye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-03-2010 06:12 PM

Math 1M03

Math 1M03
Calculus for Business, Humanities and the Social Sciences
Published by Sync
08-23-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 93%
Math 1M03

Dr. Lozinski, Winter 2009

Self-diagnostic test..............2%
Four midterm tests............44%
On-line assignments.......... .6%
Final Examination.......... ...48%

I found the course fun and easy (I’m a “math person” but even if you are not, it is achievable to get at least 80%). The workload is “heavy” because it requires time to do the problems if you want to do well. I found the textbook pretty useless because Dr. Lozinski gives you excellent notes and you are required to buy MathZone. MathZone has questions that you can practice on. Also, it has an online version of the book. MathZone costs $15-$20 compared to $180+ for a new math book.

The professor posts his notes on WebCT, so you don’t even need to attend the lectures. However, it is recommended so that his notes make sense. I found that attending the lectures helped me remember the lessons in the long-run.

I thought the tutorials were useless. My TA was boring and hard to hear. She would spend the whole class taking up a few questions from the book, which was useless to me. After the first 2-3 weeks, about 10 to 15 out of 200-400 students would show up to the tutorials. You are not required to attend tutorials. If you have specific questions or just a good student, you should attend them. Also, the tutorial notes are posted on WebCT.

There are also test sessions and an exam review (not during lecture hours though). I didn’t go to them, so I don’t know just how useful they are.

It is easy to get full marks on the self-diagnostic test because you are only required to attempt the questions.

There are four tests worth 11% each and three of these tests contain one bonus question. The tests are all multiple-choice based questions and worth 15 marks (1 mark for each question and it is possible to get 16/15 due to bonus question). You should do the questions from MathZone and understand the lessons if you want to get perfect in each test. Also, do not study at the last minute because math is very time-consuming.

There are online assignments each week and usually due on Wednesday. The assignments should force you to do your work, so that you don’t fall behind, but I found people cheating themselves because there is a link where it shows you full solution to the same type of problems. These assignments are annoying, but easy to get the full marks. You have unlimited tries to get perfect for each assignment.

The final exam is also multiple-choice based questions. It is out of 100 marks. There are two parts of the exam: part 1 (worth 3 marks each) and part 2 (worth 4 marks each). The difference is that the markers look at your solutions for part 2 if you get the final answer wrong (meaning you may receive part marks) and as for part 1, they do not (they only look at the final answer).

Mepper, VirenPatel all say thanks to Sync for this post.

Equinox likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Math 1M03!

Old 12-26-2009 at 04:09 PM   #2
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times
which professor is better for this course, moore or mclean?
Old 07-02-2010
icecubz
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-09-2010
icecubz
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:27 PM   #3
C Lyn

Liked: 0 Times
compared to the other maths how much easier is the math for humanities?
Old 08-21-2010 at 11:09 AM   #4
troth

This math isnt easy, I took this course 2 years ago, and it was rather ok. First half was easy, second wasnt. Last year had a couple friends take this course and they changed it up a bit, by adding in material, that is hard. So yea dont think this course is gonna be a walk in the park, but deff not impossible

Old 06-15-2011 at 10:49 AM   #5
polkadots

this past year you also got the choice of having your exam worth 40% or 90%, for those who didn't do so well on the midterms.
Old 06-22-2011 at 08:14 PM   #6
m.lam

Liked: 1 Time
McClean was my professor and I actually like his teaching styles, simple and straight forward. From my perspective, I find that if you do all of your homework and complete all the assignments, this course wouldn't be too hard and possibly pass with a 7 or higher.

fabittyfab likes this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 12:59 AM   #7
atyc.chao

This course is really really easy. As long as you do the practice problems and go to the review sessions before a test, you have no problem getting at least a 10 (80% +) in this course!
Old 09-13-2011 at 02:27 PM   #8
hoj45

This course is easy as long as you do the practice problems.
Old 09-13-2011 at 08:30 PM   #9
Anan.I

Liked: 1 Time
mclean is way better! i had moore, and i didnt learn a thing in class, i had to go home and learn from the textbook:\
Old 10-19-2011 at 12:12 PM   #10
natalie787

Is this course easier than 1LS3?
Old 06-20-2012 at 09:57 AM   #11
AndreK

Math 1M03 Review
Lozinski 2011-2012

I hate Calculus... I love stats and manipulation of numbers, but I was just wishing that I would be able to pass this class. I was so worried, that I went to the extra help sessions for first year calculus classes (held in Hamilton Hall every weekday) as often as I possibly could. Albeit, being so dedicated to passing this one course, my grades in other classes tended to drop by about 1 point (out of the 12).

However, Lozinski is a fantastic Prof. I considered myself so lucky to be in his class. He explained everything in simple English, brought in props to help his explanations, and posted all of his notes online so that I could actually pay attention in class instead of having to try and copy everything down. The marking schemes:

Marking schemes Calc 1 Calc 2 Calc 3 Calc4
Self-diagnostic test 2% 2% 1% 1%
Three midterm tests 42% 45% 18% 24%
On-line assignments 8% 0% 6% 0%
Final Examination 48% 53% 75% 75%

He took whichever the student did best in, making the course so flexible that it allowed for anyone to pass. Whether it be by doing well in the online assignments (which not only helped me stay on top of my homework, but most people ended up getting the full 8 or 6 %); or if people slacked off in the beginning, a hail mary was perfectly possible on a very straightforward exam (assuming you went to exam review, there is no reason to not only pass, but do well on the exam).

In terms of relevance and interest in the course, it's shared between Business, Humanities, and Social Sciences, so chances are it will have only limited relevance to your area of study.

But never fear, I almost ended in the 90s.. and going into it I legitimately thought I could possibly fail. A word of advice though, the course builds on what you learn early on in the term, so make sure you do well from the very beginning so that you won't fall behind later on.
Old 07-11-2012 at 05:30 AM   #12
MalK

I have it with Moore second semester this year - should I be worried?
Old 07-14-2012 at 09:19 AM   #13
Ever

this is actually easier than math 1ls3??? plse reply

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search