MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MATH 1M03 or MATH 1LS3 - Business 1 Commie42 Academics 46 12-08-2012 09:47 PM
Math 1K03 vs. Math 1F03, to take before Math 1M03 nazzymodes Academics 2 08-07-2012 04:41 PM
Need a math tutor? Need help with Math 1M03 or 1K03? Im your guy :D ShahrukhKhan Academics 4 08-19-2010 08:31 AM
MATH 1A03 or MATH 1M03? THIS COMMIE NEEDS HELP! numaya Academics 5 07-28-2010 05:45 PM

Math 1M03

Old 04-01-2013 at 10:03 PM   #1
migilacuty

Liked: 0 Times

Math 1M03
Hey, I just wrote my third midterm for Math 1M03, and I'm pretty sure I'm now failing the class with about a 40% grade. I was wondering, do they adjust the marks at the end of the course, if so how do they adjust it? Also, if I fail this class I will not be able to come back into my program next year, are there any options for me if I do fail that will allow me back into Commerce year 2?

Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm getting good marks in all other courses, this one is really screwing me over
Old 04-01-2013 at 10:10 PM   #2
Jimbojones

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by migilacuty View Post
Hey, I just wrote my third midterm for Math 1M03, and I'm pretty sure I'm now failing the class with about a 40% grade. I was wondering, do they adjust the marks at the end of the course, if so how do they adjust it? Also, if I fail this class I will not be able to come back into my program next year, are there any options for me if I do fail that will allow me back into Commerce year 2?

Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm getting good marks in all other courses, this one is really screwing me over
they have not curved it in the past. Gotta go ham on the exam.
Old 04-01-2013 at 10:42 PM   #3
campbekn

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by migilacuty View Post

Thanks so much!

The exam isn't until the 26th, so you have almost a whole month to study, I wouldn't worry about failing yet.

Loko says thanks to campbekn for this post.
Old 04-02-2013 at 02:22 PM   #4
Chewie

Liked: 2 Times

For anyone who have taken this math in the past, have any of the prof did the marking scheme where if you did better on your exam, they'll take 90% of that mark as your final mark instead (or any type of variation of this)?

I heard this happened in other first year math courses before (such as MATH 1LS3).
Old 04-02-2013 at 04:29 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
For anyone who have taken this math in the past, have any of the prof did the marking scheme where if you did better on your exam, they'll take 90% of that mark as your final mark instead (or any type of variation of this)?

I heard this happened in other first year math courses before (such as MATH 1LS3).
It's explicitly written in the math 1LS3 course outline, something that has existed since that course was first implemented...not something that just "happened". Is it written in the 1M03 course outline? If not, then they most likely will not do that, and if the marks need adjusting it will be done some other way.

I've never heard of 1M03 needing adjustments though, it's widely considered to be the easiest first-year math course (excluding the grade 12 equivalents).
Old 04-02-2013 at 05:24 PM   #6
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

So you need to rock the exam. Completely doable with the amount of time you have. Make a schedule of all the relevant topics you need to learn and then make a study schedule. Just do one thing at a time.

As somebody who sucks at calc and regardless chose to major in econ, this is how I passed 1M03. I did an intensive three week study schedule... Three hours a day, and over a thousand practice questions. I got my grade, and you will too. Good luck!

MalK likes this.
Old 04-02-2013 at 05:35 PM   #7
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post

This is exactly what will happen, chill out.

Is McLean teaching 1M03 currently? He does this time and time again with both Math 1M03 and Math 1F03 to the point that its kind of unfair. No one really gets kicked out of Commerce over these Calculus classes unless they just give up. Stick it out and Calc rarely, if at all, shows up again within our degree.

Math 1M03 final exam is no joke, though.
Old 04-02-2013 at 06:07 PM   #8
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint View Post
This is exactly what will happen, chill out.

Is McLean teaching 1M03 currently? He does this time and time again with both Math 1M03 and Math 1F03 to the point that its kind of unfair. No one really gets kicked out of Commerce over these Calculus classes unless they just give up. Stick it out and Calc rarely, if at all, shows up again within our degree.

Math 1M03 final exam is no joke, though.
Thanks for letting us know. This year's professors are Moore, Protas, and Lai.

I also heard that last year you had the option of a 70% final. And looking back two years ago (the Winter 2011 session - http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~yazinski/math1M03/), the professor wrote that Math 1M03 marks have traditionally been bell curved (April 13). The professor also wrote that there was an option of a 90% final exam (March 29).

Last edited by Brendan : 04-02-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2013 at 08:08 PM   #9
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Relax and try your best, it'll all work out. I've had my "I'm gonna fail this class and be outta commerce whatamigonnadofuck" freak outs before too. Just put in the work and things will work out. People tend to be rewarded for sticking it out.
Old 04-02-2013 at 09:04 PM   #10
Loko

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint View Post
Relax and try your best, it'll all work out. I've had my "I'm gonna fail this class and be outta commerce whatamigonnadofuck" freak outs before too. Just put in the work and things will work out. People tend to be rewarded for sticking it out.
Thanks a lot for these words of wisdom. Its filled with light , hopefully I can come to the light

Yeah I've also been crapping these last two tests. The first one I got like 80 something but I failed the last test and this one.... FAILED im pretty sure. I was not appreciative of the fact that while the sample test had like broken down questions (circle the answer of the second step or third steps) this one had you do the whole thing full on and give final answer. Just too damn time consuming to do these questions they require so many steps and its easy to make errors. In any case I'm going to try increasing my speed in doing these questions, praying to mah gawd for the final.

/end rant.