Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 70%
Math 1ZZ5

Integration and applications, differential equations, parametric curves, multivariable calculus, complex numbers, vector spaces, systems of linear equations, matrices and determinants

Prerequisite: MATH 1Z04

This is where you finally learn integrals and anti-derivatives. Being a five unit course makes this a tough one. Every chapter requires at least 3-4 hours of study to understand and retain. Luckily I had Dr. Aaron Childs as my prof. He is a terrific teacher and the best first year math prof.

Textbook: [same as 1Z04] Calculus, Early Transcendentals, 6th Edition, James Stewart, Brooks/Cole

5 Lab Assignments - 3% each
Tests 1, 2, 4 and 5 - 8% each
Test 3 (Midterm Exam) - 13%
Final Exam - 40%

Calculators are NOT allowed on any of the tests or exams

xxsumz says thanks to ericvan1 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Math 1ZZ5!

Old 05-25-2009 at 12:05 AM   #2
benjs

Liked: 7 Times
Though worth more, I found this course MUCH simpler than 1Z04. Concepts are far less abstract, and actually applicable. Call me a nerd, but when the textbook explained how the formula for the surface area of a sphere was derived (anti-derived?), I thought it was very cool.
As mentioned, Dr. Childs is quite a good teacher, however, I almost never went to his class. The Math Help Centre is excellent - there's a prof who works there (big guy who usually, if I recall, wears a burret), who is a phenominal teacher, and is always willing to help. To give you an idea of how good that place is - between textbook sample questions, sample tests posted by Dr. Childs, textbook readings, and the Math Help Centre - I was able to get a 10 without really stressing out in the course. Multiple choice tests, however, are designed in ways where if there's a four-step question, one of the choices will be if you accidentally skipped a step.
Old 05-25-2009 at 08:13 AM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
To be honest; if you have enough self discipline, you can make your way through this course by only doing the suggested problems and the sample tests. I stopped going to classes about two thirds of the way through the semester and learned the stuff myself from the book. In the end, I managed to pull off an 11 in the course.

If not, you can always go to doctor Childs' class if you really want to. I've heard that he's good (never been myself).

On the contrary to what someone above said, each chapter doesn't require 3 to 4 hours to understand. That's a worst case scenario, and there are only a few chapters that are that bad.
Old 04-16-2010 at 10:07 AM   #4
iby242

Liked: 0 Times
five lab assignments (easy marks) - four of them are using Maple, last one is Mathlab. all software can be found in labs (such as BSB 244 etc.). plenty of sample tests and suggested examples are posted on math website. Math website is not linked to ELM (which may be a good thing considering all the problems with ELM). if you did good in first term (1Z04) this should be straight forward, otherwise look for help. you need to work on examples regularily as material piles up fast (five lectures per week). my professor was Aaron Childs, he does reviews instead of last lecture at the end of each week (good thing to check out even if you have another professor). difficulty level is stread evenly, tests are marked fairly and answers are posted quickly (very nice). one of my favourite courses.

Old 04-16-2010 at 02:58 PM   #5
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times
It all depends on your prof...If you have Sultana...RUN!

e: its Matlab not mathlab
Old 04-19-2010 at 07:58 PM   #6
alexfigueroa

it doesn't depend on your prof at all, it just matters on how much work you put into in and if you want to do good or not. I had Dr. Sultana this term too, and I had no problems with this course :S just saying.
Old 04-19-2010 at 08:03 PM   #7
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times
ok ok. yes it definitely depends on how much work you put into it...thats obvious but for some of us it is easier to learn from a prof that actually says words properly and tries to keep your attention. I found that Sultana was the most dry prof and i couldnt focus at all in class.
Old 06-05-2010 at 05:32 PM   #8
breadmaster

I didn't think I'd ever get through this, but I did.

This is my second degree now, so I'm older and slower than all of you fresh brained kids.

My advice? Does it even matter? After this summer 1zz5 is gone!

Well, while we're here: Do All sample problems. Do All practice test problems. \

If test time is approaching and you have not done all the text problems, move on to the sample tests. Try to start these two days before the test so you really know the problems. The exams share the same format, so if you work hard enough, a 12 in this course is not impossible. You just have to work at it.

And like everyone else said do the Maple assignments. Srsly. Easy 15 percent. Just spend an hour in the lab.

I had Dr. Childs and he was simply awesome. Well, on stage, lecturing, he was amazing. In person, he's kind of cold and annoyed. He actually encouraged me not to take this course, lol.

I wonder how this course will change next year....I hear 1z04.1zz5 are being split into three 3-unit courses.

RIP 1Z Math!

Last edited by breadmaster : 06-05-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search