i missed my exam! PLEASE HELP!!! rrtt Academics 2 04-24-2009 09:10 PM
Exam Help JokrJon Academics 3 02-27-2009 09:26 PM

1ZZ5 Exam

Old 04-17-2010 at 12:14 AM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

1ZZ5 Exam
So I noticed a couple of tips on MacInsiders already posted regarding the exam from hell... Few people have started studying for this beast which comes up in 2 days, since physics was Friday night (this past night). I'm looking for more tips on the section that's going to be 40%!

All of the custom courseware stuff -> Matrices that is. The sample test they give us is never a good representation of what is on the tests, because they tend to give questions that would actually take a significant amount of time to do: IE solve a 4x4 matrix, or determine which of the following 5 sets of R^3 vector spaces is an orthanormal basis... I mean, both of these questions take significant time, practice or not. So what is actually on the exam? Was it along the lines of: Here's a question, do part of it?

Oh! And then there's questions like: What's a row-echelon form of this matrix... It's multiple choice!!!!!! What the heck is a subjective question doing on the test! There are a tonne of ways and results to a row-echelon form, why are you asking us to come up with the same one you are!? That was another thing that angered me about the Sample tests for matrices.

Any help would be appreciated. I could get away with my name on the page, and pass, but I don't want to waste the year like that: I put in a bit of effort to get this far, why throw away 40% is what I say.
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:32 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

On last years exam there were a lot of trivia questions about subspaces and matrices (the axiom stuff and the things about singular matrices). Make sure you look closely into that.

I remember there also only being a total of one question on the Graham-Schmidt Orthogonalization process and all that bases crap.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 04-17-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:33 AM   #3
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

Hold up... the matrices stuff is in the courseware?

I haven't been to class all semester, but I don't even own the courseware, so I'm more screwed than I thought

Old 04-17-2010 at 12:51 AM   #4
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

I would suggest doing the sample test because I always did fine on the tests when I finished them completely. The sample tests tend to be a lot harder than the actual tests and for me all the mid terms were a cake walk after I completed the sample tests.

I thought the exam was the hardest test we had for 1ZZ5 and it was mainly due to the vector spaces and everything found in the courseware (aka Zill and Cullen's book from hell.) I would be sure to study all the axiom stuff and understand how to do the questions properly. Be prepared to answer questions that give you a matrix and asks you which axioms it violates or if it is a subspace. Just be sure you understand the material in the courseware as that will make up the majority of your test! Not sure if you guys learned other stuff from the Stewart text after your last midterm? If so then study that too.

BTW get your hand on the full solution manual for the courseware. I remember getting frustrated with some answers/solutions being non existent. And yes it does exist. I would post it... But I'm not sure if I'm allowed

Edit: Also it might be a good idea to go over your past tests (ones you wrote) and the past sample tests to review the other material. Its a nice way to quickly review the course.

Last edited by khaotic : 04-17-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2010 at 08:33 AM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Thanks for the tips so far! I have a membership for Cramster since they have solutions to literally just about every question in every book you can name. I have been keeping up with my answers in there.

Other than the axioms for vecotr spaces (prove the following by addition and scalar multiplication... IS it open or closed subspace) I'm not quite sure what you mean by matrix axioms. It definately sounds like a trivial question. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 04-17-2010 at 09:28 AM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by matrix axioms. It definately sounds like a trivial question. Can you point me in the right direction?
All that random trivia crap throughout the chapter like "This is what happens if you multiple a singular matrix by it's transpose".
Old 04-17-2010 at 09:45 AM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

Bahaha, I think I'd have to extrapolate that kind of information.... I don't think there is anything that would tell me the answer to that. I mean, there are those "Theorem" boxes, and one tells you that if you transpose a NON-SINGULAR matrix (one that is invertable), its the same as transposing the matrix then inverting it.

Uggggggh
Old 04-17-2010 at 09:50 AM   #8
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

If anyone can send me that solution manual to the courseware, it'd be much appreciated ^_^

Old 04-17-2010 at 09:58 AM   #9
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

For the exam I redid all the sample tests and then redid the actual tests of the year. Exam turned out being really easy after that!
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:26 AM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

I think I can link to a prof's course site.

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/childsa/1zz5/sample5.pdf

Is this the kind of "axiom" crap that you're talking about? If I know this stuff well, that will cover the 40% that is Suggested Problems 5 ?
Old 04-17-2010 at 10:30 AM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I think I can link to a prof's course site.

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/childsa/1zz5/sample5.pdf

Is this the kind of "axiom" crap that you're talking about? If I know this stuff well, that will cover the 40% that is Suggested Problems 5 ?
Question 11 is what I mean. Know that crap inside and out. We had like 10 questions on that and sub/vector spaces.
Old 04-17-2010 at 11:43 AM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Dont stress. Study the custom courseware as best as possible.

I actually thought zz5 exam was easier than z04. Know your tests aswell!
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:19 PM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

unfortunately many of us waited until after teh physics exam to REEEEALLY start studying and so now I'm worried.
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:22 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
unfortunately many of us waited until after teh physics exam to REEEEALLY start studying and so now I'm worried.
How was physics btw? We got owned pretty hard on that exam last year... lol
Old 04-17-2010 at 12:47 PM   #15
mike_302
Elite Member

I heard a lot of negativity about it, but I don't think it was unfair. I didn't do badly, but physics and I date regularly. I know her inside and out