MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could anyone please review Math 2Z03/2ZZ3? kanishka Academics 26 08-18-2010 12:10 AM
MATH 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 Textbooks Ohmz Academics 4 05-18-2010 02:29 PM

Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3

Old 04-04-2010 at 02:43 PM   #16
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Heh, it was actually 38%. I think like 3 people got above 13/18 out of the ~700 in the course. He was ecstatic to hear how badly we ****ed up afterward too.

There is almost no point in writing reviews for these two classes. They are yet again going under massive revisions from what I hear, so next year will probably be completely different.

Anyway, yes, Protas (and almost every Polish prof I've ever had to be honest) sucks ass at teaching. His style is read from the textbook, so obviously, it's easier to just not go to class and read the textbook on your own. Our matlab assignments are so difficult because:

a) That's what Protas is here "researching"

and

b) A lot of people cheated on the assignments last semester (probably around 80% of the people enrolled in the course) so Protas got pissed and decided to ass rape us this semester. He also implemented really intense searching for cheaters. Nearly a tenth of level 2 engineering got academic dishonesty on our first one for 2ZZ3 from what I hear.

In my opinion, the coverage of the course also makes no sense. How the hell are you supposed to understand Gauss' theorem with only one 1 hour lecture on it?

The course is stupid... a whole bunch of unrelated maths jumbled together in a confusing mass.

I wish someone would just friggin realize IT MAKES NO SENSE TO HAVE THE MATH DEPARTMENT TEACH THE ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT. The math department has no idea what we do and do not have to learn for engineering, so instead they try to make this confusing sampler of everything.

Luckily, one of my friends went to the dean and Protas will not be the course coordinator anymore next year due to a massive number of complaints. So hopefully they'll get it right for those coming into second year engineering in the future.

/rant

Also, I heard that first year math for engineering is going to be switched back to the original system next year (3 maths rather than two). Anyone know if this rumor is true?
Is he also Jewish or something? I've seen some signs in his office, but I'm not sure. Always found it interesting to know, it'd make you wonder if the roots go back to WWII or not.

Anyways, Protas rage'd hard this term hardcore. He was pretty pissed at the Matlab and switched it up =^=. I know a lot of people cheated still in 2nd term, despite the warning, so as a response, Protas decided to rage harder and make tests that literally failed everyone. Just imagine how hard the exam will be =(

Anyways, 2z03 was alright, and 2zz3 was... different. Let's just say that there will be a lot of cross faculty kind of learning here, mixing the kind of math you'd see in Physics, Electrical and Mechanical =^=. So some of the stuff will probably never apply to you, but you still got to know it. Some of the theories are very vague too, as all the profs for math were very bad this term, and Ownaginatios is right about saying it's more of a book-translated-to-class sort of deal.
Old 04-04-2010 at 02:52 PM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinkess31 View Post
Yep, it's gonna be 1ZA3, 1ZB3, and 1ZC3
Damn... why are we always the experimental year? :(
Old 04-08-2010 at 04:19 PM   #18
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

Math 2ZZ3 is so f'd up its not even funny...

Theres your review =D