MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could anyone please review Math 2Z03/2ZZ3? kanishka Academics 26 08-18-2010 12:10 AM
MATH 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 Textbooks Ohmz Academics 4 05-18-2010 02:29 PM
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-08-2010 04:19 PM

Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3

Old 04-20-2011 at 12:10 PM   #31
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

For you first-years, try taking it in the summer. Everyone I know who took it in the summer got an 11/12, and after that exam I'll be lucky if I can get a 7.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:31 PM   #32
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
For you first-years, try taking it in the summer. Everyone I know who took it in the summer got an 11/12, and after that exam I'll be lucky if I can get a 7.
That's because the marking scheme was entirely different.

40% Matlab and the tests were written (which you can receive partial marks).

Also, they had a completely different prof. He was seasonal.

So pretty much, last year people got lucky.
Old 06-20-2011 at 01:42 PM   #33
buckweed90

Liked: 0 Times

i am also taking 2zz3 ths summer, jst wana get it over and done wit... i hear the tests are impossible to understand w.t.f is going on, but um going in headfirst haha
Old 06-20-2011 at 02:21 PM   #34
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Just finished 2Z03 with Yazinski in the summer. The material isn't bad, but the tests... dear god. Not looking forward to 2ZZ3 in the winter.

I will however state that Yazinski is a really good teacher, and is very funny. Shame that he is leaving McMaster.
Old 08-08-2011 at 12:28 PM   #35
DarthFuzzy

Liked: 7 Times

Damn I'm scared, how much harder is it than 1ZC3 in first year? Because it is a wonder of heaven that I passed that course !
Old 08-08-2011 at 12:53 PM   #36
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFuzzy View Post
Damn I'm scared, how much harder is it than 1ZC3 in first year? Because it is a wonder of heaven that I passed that course !
Pretty damn hard.
Old 08-29-2011 at 03:10 PM   #37
Andrewg

After reading all the comments its making me nervous to take this class. Do you guys know who will be the TA for 2Z03? I plan on learning MATLAB in advance and so I want to contact the TA to ask for help.

For the people who have taken 2Z03 was the TA more helpful or should I ask help directly to the prof? Just in general, how was the TA for this class are they any better than the prof or just the same?
Old 08-29-2011 at 03:55 PM   #38
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I took 2Z03 in the summer. Material was alright, tests were brutal. Got a 12. Prof was great (Yazinski, but he is no longer at Mac). TAs were useless (Well, one was good. the other was bad).

Good luck...
Old 08-29-2011 at 09:07 PM   #39
Andrewg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
I took 2Z03 in the summer. Material was alright, tests were brutal. Got a 12. Prof was great (Yazinski, but he is no longer at Mac). TAs were useless (Well, one was good. the other was bad).

Good luck...
Who was the good and bad TA? You can message me if you don't want to make their name public. I just want to contact the good TA to ask for help. Does anyone know if the TAs this term are the same TAs from previous terms?

Thanks!

For the people who have taken Math 2ZZ3 are the TAs more helpful or is the prof. going to be a better option? Does anyone know someone who is going to be a TA for 2ZZ3 can you please please let me know cause I want to contact them about the MATLAB thing? I'm desperate to do extremely well.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-29-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2011 at 09:51 PM   #40
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

All of the TAs aren't great. Don't bother trying to contact 'the good one'.

If you really want to do well, start by learning the material now. Just get the practice problems off of the site from previous years (they're likely the same for you) and start reading through the chapters and doing some of them.

Unless a very high natural aptitude for math, you're kind of ****ed for doing 'extremely well'.

The best you can do at this point is understand the concepts as well as possible before the real course starts. 99% of the difficult of the matlab assignments is understanding the concept they want you to implement. If you have that, and are good at programming - it shouldn't be too tough.
Old 08-29-2011 at 09:59 PM   #41
Andrewg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
All of the TAs aren't great. Don't bother trying to contact 'the good one'.

If you really want to do well, start by learning the material now. Just get the practice problems off of the site from previous years (they're likely the same for you) and start reading through the chapters and doing some of them.

Unless a very high natural aptitude for math, you're kind of ****ed for doing 'extremely well'.

The best you can do at this point is understand the concepts as well as possible before the real course starts. 99% of the difficult of the matlab assignments is understanding the concept they want you to implement. If you have that, and are good at programming - it shouldn't be too tough.
Thanks for the advice. I want to contact the 'good' TA for questions so any insight to who this TA is would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2011 at 10:02 PM   #42
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewg View Post
Thanks for the advice. I want to contact the 'good' TA for questions so any insight to who this TA is would be appreciated.
Well, if it means anything - in my year the 'good' TAs were Jonathan Gustaffson and Nick Rogers.

No idea if they're going to be TAs for the course this year though.
Old 08-29-2011 at 10:16 PM   #43
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Well, if it means anything - in my year the 'good' TAs were Jonathan Gustaffson and Nick Rogers.

Definitely Nick Rogers, I love his sessions.

He has his own forum too in case if you have any questions.

Andrewg says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.
Old 08-29-2011 at 10:18 PM   #44
Andrewg

Quote:

Thanks for sharing, does anyone know if they are going to be TAs again?