MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math and Stats Society Presents: Math Wars! rrtt MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-31-2010 02:19 AM
Math & Stats mellye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-06-2009 07:30 PM

Math and Stats

Old 06-02-2008 at 05:22 PM   #1
Biee

Liked: 1 Time

Math and Stats
Hey guys,

I got accepted to Math and Stats under the faculty of science. I know this isn't a program that many people applied but I just want to know how this program is. Questions regarding to this program would be:

1. Is this program hard?
2. Is there a lot of math or is it just about the same as adv functions/ calculus&vectors?
3. Class average?

I heard that there are really nice profs that help you. I also heard that there's small class sizes which I like and math clubs for studying purposes.

I am really scared that I'll be kicked out first year because of this program. If anyone know anything about this program, please share !

THANKS !
Old 06-03-2008 at 08:27 AM   #2
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

Hi,

I'm going into my third year in the math and stats program, so I guess I can answer some of your questions. However, I was in Science for first year, so I guess we will differ there.

First year math, I believe you'll be taking pretty much the same math courses as a first year science student, except you'll be taking 1X03 and 1XX3 instead of 1A03 and 1AA3. I hear the only real difference is that you go somewhat more in depth and the classes are smaller, so its more personal.

You should do very well in your first year if you've been doing well in high school. It's probably nowhere near as difficult as you've made it out to be in your head

Just to give you a reference, I got a 12 in every first year math course. Even second year isn't very difficult, as long as you keep up and do your work, homework, and recommended problems. I also managed all 11's and 12's in second year.

Third and fourth year on the other hand, I hear can get quite difficult, but I can't speak from personal experience on that issue.
Old 06-03-2008 at 05:14 PM   #3
Biee

Heyy,

Thanks for the reply but I still have some questions. Sorry, this year will be my first year entering Mac and I don't understand your 11's and 12's. What does that mean? And what is it out of?

I actually want to get into business second year but guidance said I need at least a 75-79 if I wanted to transfer from math and stats to business. What is the number for a 75? 80?

Also, I know math and stats is under the faculty of science. I want to know if I need to know science like bio, chem or physics. I jus know that I need to take a course under science but it's not like bio, chem etc..It's like anthro, philosophy etc..right?

Thanks so much !
Old 06-03-2008 at 05:33 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Mac's grading is based on a 12 point scale. You can find everything you need to know about it here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...05/sec_118.htm

Anthro is a Social Science and Philo is a Humanities. So if you need to take a course from science those aren't it!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-03-2008 at 08:28 PM   #5
Biee

Sorry, I think I have my last question:
Which residence hall would be the most convenient for math and stats? anyone know?
Thanks !
Old 06-03-2008 at 10:02 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Your classes could be anywhere on campus, so there is no 'best' residence.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement