MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math and Stats Society Presents: Math Wars! rrtt MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-31-2010 02:19 AM
Math and Stats Biee Academics 5 06-03-2008 10:02 PM

Math & Stats

Old 04-04-2009 at 04:28 PM   #1
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Math & Stats
I feel like NO ONE got accepted into this but me (UGH).

Anyways, I am seriously considering coming to mac, hopefully to end up in Mathematical Physics. I was wondering what the m&s program is like, since there are NO topics on it.

I've heard a lot of mixed responses. The main ones being with UW. I've heard that the classes are really small at mac (compared to UW) and m&s kids get stuck with anyone who is taking math as an elective. Also, I've heard that the program is either just as good or not as good as waterloo.

Someone PLEASE set the record straight!

I'm accepted into MAC and not into UW yet. I like both campuses and am honestly just trying to make the pros and cons. -M
Old 04-04-2009 at 06:49 PM   #2
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

The math classes are pretty big up until you get to third year, then most of them are quite small (but not all). For example, Algebra II has about 15 people and I've heard that topology has 5 people...

I really can't compare to Waterloo, but to be honest, I would have went to Waterloo if I had known I was going to major in math because of the greater variety in courses offered and reputation.

I guess it's a fairly decent program, but I have nothing to compare it to. I don't really have any complaints.

mellye says thanks to hmmmcurious for this post.
Old 04-04-2009 at 07:08 PM   #3
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

What about the physics portion? By any chance, does anyone know about that?

Just curious.
Old 04-04-2009 at 07:21 PM   #4
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

I'm in first year M&S, the classes for just the math students such as calculus or math reasoning there are about 65 kid (size of the program) but Linear Alg I has a lot of Life Sci students in it, so about 130 people but reasonably small in comparison to Chemistry classes (400+).
Old 04-05-2009 at 09:13 PM   #5
brownj42

Liked: 0 Times

Hey "mellye",

I am not too sure about the first year math portion but I assume it is similar to what I went through. The first year courses in any program are 100+ for science.

This will be true for all of first year math and the first physics (1b03). For the second physics, you can either take (1bb3 or 1ba3). 1bb3 is less math based and has 100+. 1ba3 is more math based. The one that I assume you would take and it will have around 50-80 people in it so definitely smaller.

If you go into math&physics (the equivalent of what you want) then it will be you and, tops, 2 other people (not many people do Math&physics here). About half of your courses will be with the math department and half with physics.

I am in physics but am friends with two of the people in 3rd year Math & Physics. They seem to really enjoy it and it gives them a nice mix of physics and math courses although there is very little room for electives.

As for the physics department.
There are
around 20 people in second year
around 40 people in third year
around 40 people in fourth year

so it is a small program.

There are just over 30 physics professors and just over 80 graduate students so they must do decent research to be able to support more than 2 each on average...

You apply to co-op after 2nd year of which there are about 6 spots for physics.

In the summer, the department is able to hire around 1/3 of the undergraduates through an NSERC USRA or McWork and sometimes just straight hiring.

As for the reputation, I am unable to really comment.

However, I do know one in 4th year Math&Physics right now who got into
Harvard, MIT, vienna, and a couple others for graduate school. However he did have a (85-89) 11 (mcmaster system) average and a summer with a renowned researcher in the field). So the school can not be that bad...

Hope this helps
Old 04-06-2009 at 07:30 PM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
What about the physics portion? By any chance, does anyone know about that?

Just curious.

The general physics course 1B03 had about 150 students per lecture group (there were 2 in the first semster)

I can't say for sure for the life science physics 1BB3, but once you've done 1B03 and go to the most advanced physics course for 1st year,1BA3, the class size were approx 30-40 and there are currently 3 lecture groups.

And then it shrinks even more.

As a 1st year physics students I strongly recommend physics at mcmaster. I also strongly recommend taking Astro 1F03(cross listed as phys 1F03). This course has inspired me. Also the professor (Dr.Reid) was by far the best professor I had in first year (even better then Dr.Lock for chem). Astro 1F03 compliments some aspects of Phys 1B03 and 1BA3.

As for the math courses. I don't know about Math & stat first year courses but i'd imagine them to be smaller then the science ones. The science math courses (1A03 and 1AA3) ranged from 80-100 per lectur group with about 3 lecture groups all together. Math 1B03 was a huge class only becuase almost all science and math students have to take it.