MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math and Stats Society Presents: Math Wars! rrtt MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-31-2010 02:19 AM
Math & Stats mellye First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-06-2009 07:30 PM
Psych, Math, or Comp sci aviaf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2008 02:04 PM

math and stats and comp sci?

Old 05-31-2011 at 01:39 PM   #1
tbhidk

Liked: 2 Times

math and stats and comp sci?
i'm going into level 2 math and stats, in the math specialization. i eventually hope to get into co-op, and just for reference, does anyone know what the cutoff for that was this year?
however, i also want to minor in comp sci, but i didn't take 1fc3 or 1md3, so i would be taking them this year, along with 8 other math classses
i guess i'm just wondering if this is too heavy of a courseload for second year, and will i be able to get the marks i need for coop, if it makes any difference, i got a 9 in a03 and aa3 this year, and a 12 in b03.

also, i can't remember which one, but one of the comp sci classes conflicts with stats 2d03, so i was just planning on taking that in third year. but now that i think of it, stats 2d03 is required for the math specialization, and you need to be in the specialization to get into coop... so would i not get into coop if i wait to take stats until third year?
Old 05-31-2011 at 01:49 PM   #2
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I don't have any other help to offer, but Stats 2D03 is actually a required course in second year Comp Sci.
Old 05-31-2011 at 01:50 PM   #3
tbhidk

not for the minor, which is all i want
Old 05-31-2011 at 02:03 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhidk View Post
i'm going into level 2 math and stats, in the math specialization. i eventually hope to get into co-op, and just for reference, does anyone know what the cutoff for that was this year?
however, i also want to minor in comp sci, but i didn't take 1fc3 or 1md3, so i would be taking them this year, along with 8 other math classses
i guess i'm just wondering if this is too heavy of a courseload for second year, and will i be able to get the marks i need for coop, if it makes any difference, i got a 9 in a03 and aa3 this year, and a 12 in b03.

also, i can't remember which one, but one of the comp sci classes conflicts with stats 2d03, so i was just planning on taking that in third year. but now that i think of it, stats 2d03 is required for the math specialization, and you need to be in the specialization to get into coop... so would i not get into coop if i wait to take stats until third year?
You don't really "need" Stats 2D03 for any higher level maths (Stats yes, but you're going into the math specialization), so I don't imagine it'd be limiting factor for co-op if you plan to take it in third year. You'll have completed it before your co-op term anyway.

However that being said, you should probably speak with someone official to make sure, since I don't think anyone here can definitively say that you will/won't be able to get into co-op.

In my opinion, the obvious solution however would be to take Stats 2D03 and leave whichever comp sci it is until your third year (or next summer). A good rule of thumb is, don't jeopardize your major studies in favour of a minor. Even if you can't complete the minor, it's much more detrimental to miss out on co-op just so you can complete a minor. Co-op will give you tangible experience that you can throw on your resume or CV. The minor gives you very little that few employers will actually care about.

In other words, if I was hiring, I'd pick a student who had real experience (co-op) over someone who had a minor in that field.
Old 05-31-2011 at 02:19 PM   #5
tbhidk

you do "need" that stats course to complete the math specialization, i'm just wondering if i wil still be considered to be in the math specialization if i haven't completed that one class. and i'd really prefer to take the comp sci classes this year because i don't want to get any further behind in them, and the one that conflicts is 1fc3, "intro to programming" which i need for basically every comp sci class thats listed under the minor
Old 05-31-2011 at 03:00 PM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
you do "need" that stats course to complete the math specialization, i'm just wondering if i wil still be considered to be in the math specialization if i haven't completed that one class.
Yeah, but to reiterate, no upper level math directly requires the course material. And for the second point, I said that no one on this board will be qualified to tell you if it will hinder your chances without it being much more than an educated guess. Personally I guess that it would, but I don't know for sure and you should see an academic advisor to be sure.

And I'll just repeat the other thing as well, be careful not to limit your major studies by fulfilling minor requirements. You can always take Stats 2D or Comp Sci next summer if you're worried about it, but all else being equal, you should always choose the major degree requirements. In my opinion it's better to delay a minor than not get into your program.

Ultimately I guess, it depends which thing you want more, the minor or the co-op. Not saying you can't get both, but you should put priority of one over the other.

One thing to note is that your comp sci minor would not show up on your diploma itself (neither does your major, only your degree title and honour notations if applicable). Neither does your co-op. So where either one truly makes a difference is when you're applying for a job, and in such a case I'm fairly sure employers would value co-op more than a minor.

But again, it's your decision.

EDIT: I haven't commented on your courseload, which math courses are you planning to take? 2X, 2XX, 2R, 2S, 2C and stats 2D are the typical course options...2E is usually for applied fields like Medical Physics, but not so much for math majors...2K? 2L?

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-31-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2011 at 03:06 PM   #7
tbhidk

i'm taking all the ones you mentioned except 2k and 2L... and potentially 2T
Old 05-31-2011 at 03:51 PM   #8
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
not for the minor, which is all i want
I don't see how a course you need for the CS minor could conflict with a CS major course... that seems wrong
Old 05-31-2011 at 03:55 PM   #9
tbhidk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I don't see how a course you need for the CS minor could conflict with a CS major course... that seems wrong
because one's a first year course, and one's a second year.
Old 05-31-2011 at 05:08 PM   #10
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

I'm going into co-op for math specialization this year, and the minimum average you need to be considered is a 6. That doesn't guarantee you'll get it though. You also have to do an interview, which is the much more important factor. You probably could take stats 2D03 in first semester third year and then do co-op, but that is a little risky. Like Mowicz said, you should focus on ensuring that you are eligible for co-op first, then figure out your situation with getting a minor after.
Old 05-31-2011 at 05:15 PM   #11
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankNullity View Post
I'm going into co-op for math specialization this year, and the minimum average you need to be considered is a 6. That doesn't guarantee you'll get it though. You also have to do an interview, which is the much more important factor. You probably could take stats 2D03 in first semester third year and then do co-op, but that is a little risky. Like Mowicz said, you should focus on ensuring that you are eligible for co-op first, then figure out your situation with getting a minor after.
When you say minimum average must be a 6, is that SA or CA ??
Old 05-31-2011 at 07:28 PM   #12
RankNullity

you need a CA of 6. you guys should lurk moar
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1597.html
Old 05-31-2011 at 07:36 PM   #13
tbhidk

what was your intervie wlike
Old 05-31-2011 at 07:43 PM   #14
RankNullity

was alright. just like an interview for any job. they ask you questions about what you want to do, why you want to be in co-op, etc. its not that bad
Old 05-31-2011 at 07:44 PM   #15
tbhidk

and where are you working?