MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which math course is easier? sunshine777 Academics 6 09-26-2012 01:30 PM
Which Math Is Easier, 1M03 Or 1A03? Flight93 Academics 2 09-20-2011 10:21 PM
Calculus /math people I NEED YOUR HELP Skye Academics 15 10-26-2010 08:26 PM
To people who have taken Math 1M03... John H Academics 18 02-26-2010 12:51 AM

Math/Calculus people! Which looks easier?

Old 01-07-2015 at 11:45 AM   #1
abeckwit

Liked: 0 Times

Math/Calculus people! Which looks easier?
Can someone familiar with these topics let me know which course outline sounds more challenging?

Math 265 Outline:
Unit 1: Brief Review of Algebra and Trigonometry for Calculus
Unit 2: Functions
Unit 3: Limits
Unit 4: Differentiation
Unit 5: Applications of the Derivative
Unit 6: Integration
Unit 7: Applications of the Definite Integral

Math 260 Outline:
Unit 1: Linear Equations and Inequalities
Unit 2: Functions and Graphs
Unit 3: Limits and the Derivative
Unit 4: Additional Derivative Topics
Unit 5: Graphing and Optimization
Unit 7: Additional Integration Topics
Unit 8: Multivariable Calculus

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2015 at 01:48 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The topics seem like they're equivalent in terms of difficulty.
Old 01-07-2015 at 02:26 PM   #3
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Taking Math 265 + 266 would be better than taking Math 260. Math 260 seems to be designed for business and social science students.
Old 01-07-2015 at 02:38 PM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodplank View Post
Taking Math 265 + 266 would be better than taking Math 260. Math 260 seems to be designed for business and social science students.
It looks as though the OP isnt as much concerned with which faculties the math courses are related to, as much as which course would prove to require the least effort/be easiest.
From what was shown they do look fairly similar though OP!
Old 01-07-2015 at 09:31 PM   #5
abeckwit

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your help. I'm leaning towards Math 265, but I wanted to ask you all about something:

Math 265 is equivalent to Math 1A03 at McMaster, and requires no prerequisites (I still have to run this past my guidance counsellor, but wanted to ask the smarties here about the course work first :3). I didn't take high school calculus, only Advanced Functions, so I was told I would need 1F03 first, but all of my planning got messed up, and I've been unable to take it (through high school, summer, ect. tried like everything—and the equivalent course at Athabasca looks like it doesn't actually involve much pre-calc material: http://www.athabascau.ca/syllabi/math/math244.htm)

So, looking at this outline, do you think I'd be able to do well in this course with only Advanced Functions level knowledge (providing it clears with guidance, of course). If not, what should I do to prepare myself for it, or is it a lost cause all together.

Math 265 Outline:
Unit 1: Brief Review of Algebra and Trigonometry for Calculus
Unit 2: Functions
Unit 3: Limits
Unit 4: Differentiation
Unit 5: Applications of the Derivative
Unit 7: Applications of the Definite Integral
Old 01-08-2015 at 12:09 AM   #6
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

If i remember highschool advanced functions correctly, there was no calculus involved really. I tend to remember that advanced functions mostly focused on the evaluation of quadratic and cubic functions. Calculus is a few steps beyond that. You could always look into a tutor before the course begins to help catch you up a bit