MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM
MATH 1B03 and MATH 1C03; courses and professors Sync Academics 1 06-14-2008 10:50 AM

Math Course

Old 04-12-2009 at 04:56 PM   #1
dhillon11

Liked: 0 Times

Math Course
Hi, I am in first year commerce and I am nearly done. I'm looking to take Math in second year as a GPA booster. I'm taking Math 1M03 and I am currently getting a 12, and I was wondering which math course from the following would be a good option for a business student like my self:

Note: These are the only 3 courses I am willing to take.

1AA3 (Calculus for Science II) - It says it's for science students, I hate science!
2K03 (Financial Mathematics)
2L03 (Mathematical Methods for Business and Social Sciences)
Old 04-12-2009 at 10:59 PM   #2
gmon

Liked: 0 Times

I didn't take 2L03, but its probably the easiest; they won't even count it towards a math minor.

I'd say 1aa3 is very tough, moves very fast and requires excellent understanding of mathematical concepts, but its pretty necessary if you want to do upper level stuff.

2k03 is also pretty tough and moves quite fast, but there is significant overlap with comm 2fa3, so whichever one you take last will be easier.
Old 04-13-2009 at 01:38 AM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Math 1AA3 was tough, but it's 12-able.

If you have good foundations in calculus and are willing to work at it you shouldn't have a problem. It's definitely not a "bird course" though.
Old 04-13-2009 at 02:56 AM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Take math 1Z04. Easiest math course ever.

Old 04-13-2009 at 10:13 AM   #5
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

I'm currently taking Math 1AA3, and it is significantly more difficult than MATH 1A03, in my opinion. The midterms are harder, the assignments are harder (but granted, have a longer deadline), and the concepts in general are harder. It moves significantly faster than 1A03 did, in terms of learning concepts. We basically do one textbook section per class, which in some cases, isn't too difficult, but in others can make it very very hard to keep up. I`m putting around twice as much effort into 1AA3, and still not doing as well as I did in 1A03.

Depending on your workload in other courses, you could do very well in the course, if you are willing to spend the necessary amount of time doing work. I know in my case that I spend a lot of time on it, but still not as much time as I should (it's my elective, so I try to give priority to the courses in my faculty) and am still pulling around a 9 going into the exam. The assignments, though tedious, are very helpful, in my opinion, when it comes to covering the key concepts of the covered sections. Do note that these assignments take hours, and I wouldn't recommend leaving them until the day before they are due. WebAssign is used for the assignments, by the way.

The concepts themselves are very interesting, in my opinion. However, I tend to gain very little from going to the classes. I tend to end up self-teaching the material from the textbook. Fortunately, the textbook for that class (Calculus and Early Transcendentals, by James Stewart) is quite easy to follow, in my opinion. The tutorials are also helpful, but only if you have already read the textbook and understand the concepts that will be covered in tutorial. (The tutorials tend to involve copying a lot of sample questions, and not very much answering of questions or explanation of concepts).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 04-13-2009 at 03:30 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I believe the reason Math 1AA3 is so hard is because of the midterms being marked out of so little marks. The second midterm was out of 22. Sure you didn't make many mistakes, maybe one or two, but the marking is so ridiculous that you may be in the low 80s or high 70s. A multiple choice is worth 2marks out of 22, meaning if you get it wrong, you lose just under 10% of your midterm mark. I find that ridiculous for a right or wrong answer question. I seriously believe they should rethink how thye mark the course. Perhaps making multiple choice part marks and having the students write out their steps, or something like that.
Old 04-13-2009 at 04:13 PM   #7
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

I agree jhan.
I got about 70 on both tests. It's my lowest mark this semester. If you mess up on one or two questions it really brings your mark down.

I think the average for the second test is around 55. For a first year course that's pretty bad.

I'd advise on not taking it if you're not that good with math.
Old 04-13-2009 at 11:21 PM   #8
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

i got ~63% on both midterms, which is very low for me. The marking scheme on the midterms was absurd to say the least (6 mark long answer question that takes the same time as 1.5 MC questions thats worth 2?) BUt if you do take math 1aa3 chances are it won't be with the same group of profs.

10% (5 assignments online)
2x20% midterms
50% exam (not looking forward to this)

Coverage:

Improper integrals (easy)
Differentiation equations (fairly easy)
Series (big topic with some of the harder stuff)
Parametric equations (so-so)
Intro to multivariable calculus. (fairly easy if you are good with derivatives)
Old 04-14-2009 at 12:50 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

For most courses, one of the most important thing is not what your mark is but how you're doing compared to the rest of the class. If the rest of the class is failing, there's a high chance that the marks will be curved.

The low total marks per midterm kind of preps you for upper year courses. : ) 22 marks for a midterm worth 30%.
Old 04-17-2009 at 08:49 AM   #10
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Take math 1Z04. Easiest math course ever.

LMAO! Ya after our marks are bumped up!

But I heard Math 1ZZ5 is even easier?