MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course evaluation results Goce Academics 1 04-27-2010 09:10 PM
New Years Resolutions lorend Academics 50 01-04-2010 10:17 PM
New Years At Montreal!!! ria89 Clubs & Groups 0 11-23-2009 06:48 PM
Math Factor Contest with Cash Prizes for First Years!‏ temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-15-2009 11:34 PM
4th years lorend Academics 0 11-10-2007 09:58 AM

Math evaluation for first years?

Old 08-25-2011 at 08:00 PM   #1
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Math evaluation for first years?
I have a friend going into first year engineering who says she has to do a math evaluation before the course. I know someone who had to do something similar to this at Waterloo. I'm going into life sciences but I never got any information about any math evaluation and I searched online but didn't find anything about it. Is there such a thing at Mac and is it for everyone taking first year math? And since we're on the topic of this, are there any other evaluations/separate tests that must be taken to gauge your knowledge of a course before you take it?

Thank you!
Old 08-25-2011 at 08:02 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.98e24 View Post
I have a friend going into first year engineering who says she has to do a math evaluation before the course. I know someone who had to do something similar to this at Waterloo. I'm going into life sciences but I never got any information about any math evaluation and I searched online but didn't find anything about it. Is there such a thing at Mac and is it for everyone taking first year math? And since we're on the topic of this, are there any other evaluations/separate tests that must be taken to gauge your knowledge of a course before you take it?

Thank you!
It's only for the engineers.

The only other evaluations are for language courses to make sure you aren't a pro at the language taking a beginners course.

5.98e24 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-25-2011 at 08:05 PM   #3
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It's only for the engineers.

The only other evaluations are for language courses to make sure you aren't a pro at the language taking a beginners course.
Can't you just fake it for the language courses? Seems easy enough lol.
Old 08-25-2011 at 08:06 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
I have no idea how the evaluations work for those courses...
Old 08-25-2011 at 08:13 PM   #5
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
Honestly, why would you? Honestly I had done grade 12 high school italian and it ended up making intermediate italian I kinda boring because I knew most of it. I can't imagine being fluent and taking a beginner's class, I mean sure you'd do well (if you didn't get caught by being way too good) but it'd be so boring.

Anyways, if they really wanted to catch people they'd do a stroop test.
Old 08-25-2011 at 08:14 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Honestly, why would you? Honestly I had done grade 12 high school italian and it ended up making intermediate italian I kinda boring because I knew most of it. I can't imagine being fluent and taking a beginner's class, I mean sure you'd do well (if you didn't get caught by being way too good) but it'd be so boring.

Anyways, if they really wanted to catch people they'd do a stroop test.
University's workload is much higher than high school. Sure the class would be boring, but you would not have to put any time into the course. It would not only give you a really good mark, but it'll also help boost up all your other marks by giving you more time to study for them.