MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brandon Hall 2012! GurtegS Brandon Hall Forum 35 04-01-2013 04:58 PM
Moulton Hall 2012 ct5892 Moulton Hall Forum 60 08-24-2012 03:01 PM
Matthews Hall 2010: Introduce yourself! amitoj Matthews Hall Forum 29 04-12-2012 04:15 PM
Matthews Hall '09 Chad Matthews Hall Forum 28 09-04-2009 10:27 AM
Matthews Hall '07 lorend Matthews Hall Forum 25 09-02-2007 01:15 PM

Matthews Hall 2012!

Old 06-27-2012 at 07:44 PM   #1
gkjagdev

Liked: 3 Times

Matthews Hall 2012!
Hi guys! I didn't see a thread for Matthews Hall for this year, so here it is =)

I'm Gagan and I'm on the 4th floor.
It wasn't the building I was hoping for, but I guess it's okay.

Can't wait to meet you guys
Old 06-27-2012 at 10:58 PM   #2
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

I lived in matthews last year, so if you have any questions about the building, feel free to ask me
Old 06-28-2012 at 11:19 AM   #3
Sara1234

Liked: 4 Times

How are the closets/ space in the double rooms @ matthews ?
Old 06-28-2012 at 12:27 PM   #4
gkjagdev

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about the closets. In the virtual tour, some of the rooms are L-shaped, right? I haven't visited campus yet..so I have no idea :/
Old 06-28-2012 at 12:29 PM   #5
gkjagdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk.Tea View Post
I lived in matthews last year, so if you have any questions about the building, feel free to ask me
Hi! Well, my main concern is the washrooms..
How are those? I'm definitely going to have to get used sharing and all..
But are the washrooms closed off with a single bathtub? Or are there stalls?
Old 06-28-2012 at 12:54 PM   #6
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1234 View Post
How are the closets/ space in the double rooms @ matthews ?
I was in Matthews too and there was pleeenty of space. That was one of my main concerns going in as well but there are big shelves above the closet rack/bar where you can store lots of stuff. There's also plenty of room under the beds to store stuff. I wouldn't really worry about space all that much.

oh and they never tell you this but your mirror has secret compartments behind it :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkjagdev View Post
lol, everyone always worries about washrooms but you literally get used to them in under a week. not even. i was fine even after the first day. each washroom has 2 stalls, 2 sinks and a shower. there's rarely any traffic...just gotta get used to everyone's showering times. and if someone is using the shower, you can always just go to another nearby washroom. i did that the whole year, pretty much using my main washroom 70% of the time and another one 30% of the time (this one was always empty ).
yeah but the washrooms are actually relatively clean. there's cleaning people that clean it every day or so, so it's actually probably a lot cleaner than your own home lol. it might be a little squishy when you're brushing your teeth, but in general, i pretty much had no problems with it.
Old 06-28-2012 at 02:19 PM   #7
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

4th floor was AMAZING. Sunroofs FTW!
Old 06-28-2012 at 05:39 PM   #8
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

you guys are in luck. it looks like matthews is being renovated or something

Emily T likes this.
Old 06-28-2012 at 09:12 PM   #9
eh_v

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in Matthews too! I have a few questions about the layout of the residence. I read somewhere that it's divided into towers. How many rooms are on each floor of a tower? Is it easy to get to know people from other towers? How many people share a bathroom? And what kind of renovations are going on? Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Old 06-29-2012 at 12:04 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

See the virtual tour here: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...atthewsVT.html
Old 06-29-2012 at 07:46 AM   #11
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh_v View Post
I'm in Matthews too! I have a few questions about the layout of the residence. I read somewhere that it's divided into towers. How many rooms are on each floor of a tower? Is it easy to get to know people from other towers? How many people share a bathroom? And what kind of renovations are going on? Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Yup, there are four floors and three towers (north, west and centre). In each tower on each floor there are 16 bedrooms, divided with a set of stairs. So there will be a girls and a guys washroom for 8 bedrooms (equating to 8 guys and 8 girls because each bedroom is a double, except first floor). Which means you'll be sharing a bathroom with 7 other guys on your floor.

I'd say it's pretty easy to get to know people. You meet lots during Welcome Week if you're outgoing, and all during the year, you see people in the halls, in the basement (laundry, pingpong, pool, study rooms, piano room) and outside when you're going to class or getting food.

In terms of renovations, it seems like they may be fixing up the insulation or heating, and probably replacing the windows as they have all been taken out.
Old 06-30-2012 at 12:57 PM   #12
beccaalmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkjagdev View Post
Hey! I have a couple pictures! I went to Mac yesterday and snuck in behind a construction worker and actually made it up to my room! The room is bigger than I was expecting with a pretty big closet! There is a desk and a little shelving compartment as well. Also the beds are pretty high up which makes for some pretty good under-bed-storage
The bathroom is a little ...disappointing .
It has 2 stalls and a shower with two sinks
I don't know which tower I'm in exactly, but once you climb the stairs and enter your tower, its like a little square with 4 rooms and a bathroom (which in my case is mens...grr)
I'll try to send these pictures along! Hope this maybe helped a bit
Old 06-30-2012 at 12:59 PM   #13
beccaalmeida

Ok , so I made the Field Hockey team as a goalie, and my goalie bag..... well....
We'll just say there is absolutely no room in my room for my bag.
Is there like storage rooms or something like that?
Old 06-30-2012 at 08:41 PM   #14
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaalmeida View Post
Ok , so I made the Field Hockey team as a goalie, and my goalie bag..... well....
We'll just say there is absolutely no room in my room for my bag.
Is there like storage rooms or something like that?
Unfortunately, there are no external storage rooms for your bag. However, I don't think you have to worry about not having storage space. I've noticed that some beds have storage drawers, and you can always throw your bag under your bed if there aren't drawers. Also, the closets are quite roomy, I've never used up all my closet space, and I have a stuffed closet.
Old 06-30-2012 at 09:06 PM   #15
gkjagdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
4th floor was AMAZING. Sunroofs FTW!
Oh that's awesome! Didn't think of it like that