MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matthews Hall 2010: Introduce yourself! amitoj Matthews Hall Forum 29 04-12-2012 04:15 PM
Matthews silent floor anthony Matthews Hall Forum 27 07-14-2010 06:26 PM
Residence - Matthews Kali Matthews Hall Forum 21 06-24-2010 10:00 PM
Matthews Hall '09 Chad Matthews Hall Forum 28 09-04-2009 10:27 AM
Matthews '08 Chad Matthews Hall Forum 12 08-08-2008 09:51 PM

Matthews Hall '07

Old 07-14-2007 at 04:59 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Matthews Hall '07
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!!

Are you living in Matty this year?
Is there some stuff you think you ought to know?
Old 07-14-2007 at 07:22 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Built in 1965, Matthews Hall houses 288 men and women on 4 floorsAdjacent to Cootes Paradise on the western edge of campusRooms house one (single), two (double) or three (triple) occupantsResidents share furnished common rooms/lounges on each floor with cable televisionAlso shared are kitchenette facilities each having, a refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster and kettle (no dishes or cutlery supplied)Laundry facilities, with irons and ironing boards, and study rooms are located in the lower level

Room Features
Bed, bulletin board, carpeted floors, desk, desk chair and desk lamp or bookcase with light fixture, drapes, garbage can, dresser drawers and/or wardrobe or Captain's bed drawers, mirror, telephone handset, internet and phone service
Old 07-21-2007 at 07:43 AM   #3
nikhil

Liked: 0 Times

well im gonna be a part of the safari.......where are the quiet rooms? and does a room no. strtng with 2 mean 2nd floor?
Thanks
Old 07-21-2007 at 08:25 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yes, a room starting with a two indicates second floor. But I don't know where the quiet rooms are located, sorry!
Old 07-26-2007 at 11:54 AM   #5
Keerthana

do you know when we move in?, like the specific time ..
Old 07-26-2007 at 01:01 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

September 1, 2007 First Year Residence Move-In:
Buildings to be announced at a later date

September 2, 2007 First Year Residence Move-In:
Buildings to be announced at a later date

September 1-9, 2007 WELCOME WEEK

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Dates.htm
Old 07-26-2007 at 11:16 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

here is what i remember from the past two years for dates:

september 1st (saturday)
- whidden
- bates
- mckay

september 2nd (sunday)
- woodstock
- keyes
- hedden

The sister residence pairings: Whidstock, MKB, McHedden (thus one moves in the first day, the other the second, and a lot both residences will have cheers that are for both reses at the same time).

the rest...i'm not so sure. (which totally does not help you living in mathews!)

- i believe brandon is moved in over two days (half of the building the first day, the remaining the second) just due to its size
- for MaMoWa (Mathews, Moulton, Wallingford) for some reason I think it's mathews on saturday and moulton and wally on sunday
- as for edwards and les prince...i don't know!

more information will go up soon as the website mentioned. As I said I'm not at all sure about MaMoWa, Edwards, Les Prince and Brandon, so check to see the website for updates. As for the other residences, that has been the way move-in was structured the past three years, so I don't think it will change (I know MKB for a fact does not change this year).
Old 08-07-2007 at 12:33 PM   #8
mike_2133

how are the washrooms set up in matthews?

and are all the rooms L-shaped?
Old 08-08-2007 at 08:38 PM   #9
lucc

I lived in Matthews last year in my first year at Mac. I was in room 117 which is on the first floor. It's a TRIPLE room which means you live in a room with 2 other people and you have very little personal space/privacy. Luckily I had friendly roommates and we managed to get through it, but I did spend a lot of time in other residence buildings just because I was so bored with Matthews.

One thing that's strange about Matthews: There are 5 entrances (A, B, C, D, and E) to the building, each with their own staircase that goes from the bottom to top floor. If you live on floor 2, 3, or 4, you can go from one end of the building to the other easily because there are doorways that allow you to travel across the building (ie. if you live in "stairwell A" you can go to "stairwell E" easily).

However, on the 1st floor these doors do not exist. In other words, if you live in "stairwell A" on 1st floor, you will need to either go up to 2nd floor, down to the basement, or outside in order to get to another any other stairwell. This is not a very good "residence experience" because you are basically confined to the small group of people who live in your stairwell whereas the people who live above you have their entire floor as neighbours.

So if you live on 1st floor in Matthews, I highly recommend that you travel to the other floors early in Welcome Week and make many friends because if you don't, you're going to find yourself quite bored while everyone above you is having a great time and forgetting you exist
Old 08-14-2007 at 01:37 PM   #10
frendo

Some of the rooms are L shaped and some are square or whatever right? Is there any pattern to that or is just like randomly one is square and the one beside it isn't..?
I really want an L one.
Old 08-15-2007 at 11:56 PM   #11
lucc

I'm pretty sure the majority of the rooms are square shaped. The bigger rooms (ie. The triple rooms) are usually the ones that are L shaped. At least mine was, and the girls who lived in a triple on 1st floor had a room exactly like mine.
Old 08-16-2007 at 08:17 AM   #12
frendo

ah dangit :/
Old 08-17-2007 at 08:56 AM   #13
chad.s123

I was wondering if it would be a wise decision to bring my guitar(s) to residence? I noted the small size of the rooms and would at least like to have my acoustic with me, but I'm not so sure it would be practical. Any input is appreciated,

Chad.
Old 08-17-2007 at 11:46 AM   #14
lucc

Go ahead and bring whatever instrument you want, unless your guitar has a huge amp, because there are noise constraints. That being said, my next door neighbour last year had a drum set in his room. And the guy beside him played the trumpet regularly.
Old 08-25-2007 at 02:13 AM   #15
chad.s123

All the beds in Matthews Hall are single sized, right?