MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats happening in matthews thereaction Matthews Hall Forum 7 10-02-2010 07:42 AM
Matthews silent floor anthony Matthews Hall Forum 27 07-14-2010 06:26 PM
Residence - Matthews Kali Matthews Hall Forum 21 06-24-2010 10:00 PM
Matthews Hall '09 Chad Matthews Hall Forum 28 09-04-2009 10:27 AM
Matthews Hall '07 lorend Matthews Hall Forum 25 09-02-2007 01:15 PM

Matthews '08

Old 07-04-2008 at 10:22 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Matthews '08
This is the 2008 Matthews discussion thread.

To view the archived discussions, click here.
Old 07-04-2008 at 11:01 AM   #2
notredame

Liked: 0 Times

Hey I am in Matthews this coming year... greaatttt *rolls eyes*

I don't even remember choosing Matthews!
WHo else is not impresssed with this res.??? (or pleased with it?)
Old 07-04-2008
homeskillet
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-04-2008 at 02:27 PM   #3
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

You won't always get a choice that was on your list. Last year I was told I was very lucky to get a choice on my list and I was an upper year in the lottery, so I think I had my choices in before first years.

I lived in Matthews for two years and you will quickly learn that it's not the building that makes the rez, it's the people living in it. You will make a lot of friends and will get close with the people living in your quad. I found the two years I was living there very different because I was in with different people.
Old 07-04-2008 at 04:48 PM   #4
Lana.Kin

Matthews
hello hello

yeees, I am about to call Matthews home for the next year too!

Honestly, yes disapointed innitially since it wasn't one of my picks. But defs ready to make the most of it, I think it'll be fun, I'm sure there are a lot of great things about the rez, and hopefully great ppl fill it up!
Old 07-04-2008 at 11:40 PM   #5
notredame

okay so i've accepted Matthews as my future home for the upcoming school year.
I just have a few questions now...

so how is the bathroom situation? are they good?

and how are the parties at matthews? is mattews as boring as it seems?

and is the staircase situation as weird as it seems?
Old 07-05-2008 at 12:56 AM   #6
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 28 Times

I lived in Matthews in 1st year and it was fantastic. The bathrooms are alright since the cleaning staff works wonders. If you're worrying about parties, don't. Matthews has had a solid reputation for the past couple of years for the amount of crunktacularness.
Old 07-05-2008 at 11:04 AM   #7
liuxw

hey..nice to meet everyone..i am in matthews!...i didnt even chooes this place..anyone know how many people share a washroom?
Old 07-05-2008 at 02:50 PM   #8
Lana.Kin

heey
i think its a quad of 4 rooms then 2 washrooms then another quad of 4 rooms.

...if i understood correctly haha
Old 07-05-2008 at 04:41 PM   #9
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana.Kin View Post
heey
i think its a quad of 4 rooms then 2 washrooms then another quad of 4 rooms.

...if i understood correctly haha
It's actually 8 rooms to 2 washrooms (1 male, 1 female). The number of people sharing each washroom depends on the male-female ratio in that quad.

Last year, my quad consisted of 8 and 8, so it was simply half-half. But I'm pretty sure there were other quads with less females than males, or vice versa.

As for the staircase situation, I personally found it pretty convenient...especial ly during the winter when there's like a blizzard outside and you just wanna get indoors asap!
Old 07-05-2008 at 07:18 PM   #10
nita

Liked: 3 Times

haha ya same.. like most of you. .. matthews was not my first choice... it was actually my last... i was kind of upset that i got this rez when i received the mail. O well. At least I have a rez.. better than nothing...I live close to mac so I was even debating if I should just not go to matthews.

The bathroom situation is what bugs me... I'm not all that impressed with shared bathrooms....

Oh well. I'm sure i'll have a great time!
Old 07-05-2008 at 07:58 PM   #11
iain!

i am in matthews as well..and am excited to bring up the partyin rep!!..i like everyone else it seems didnt even have it on my list..haha..but oh well..you win some u lose some..ready for a good year
Old 07-05-2008 at 08:17 PM   #12
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita View Post
haha ya same.. like most of you. .. matthews was not my first choice... it was actually my last... i was kind of upset that i got this rez when i received the mail. O well. At least I have a rez.. better than nothing...I live close to mac so I was even debating if I should just not go to matthews.

The bathroom situation is what bugs me... I'm not all that impressed with shared bathrooms....

Oh well. I'm sure i'll have a great time!
I was quite unhappy about the shared bathrooms when I found out about my residence assignment last July...I was really looking forward to living at Les Prince with my own washroom! But like you said, it's better than nothing! My cousin was supposedly guaranteed residence and he had submitted every thing on time, but now he's under the 'waiting list' yet they say they still "guarantee a bedspace" for him...just when one opens up!

As for the bathroom situation, I'm not sure if you're worried about the cleanness or the privacy part of it. But as casey.park mentioned, the cleaning staff work wonders. As for privacy, many people have very different schedules, and there's never more than 2 or 3 people in the washroom at once as there are only 2 stalls and a shower. Also, because of the different schedules, two people most likely won't be fighting for the showers at a certain time every single morning.

It was a bit weird in the beginning but I got used to it, and it doesn't bother me so much anymore.

Like every other upper year has mentioned, it's not about where you live but WHO you live with that makes it fun!
Old 08-08-2008 at 09:51 PM   #13
Joey

Liked: 17 Times

I am not horribly disappointed to have ended up in Mathew's it is just your typical dorm but what is really bothering me at the moment is the structure of the closet. That is such a huge waste of space and completely inflexible. I actually got that feeling like I got in high school when a teacher though it would be a good idea to mark our notes or tell us how to organize; like I am incapable of setting up an effective closet on my own. How do you store flip flops on those shoe holders (my main footwear). Plus now I can't put anything on the floor. I really like to stack things on the bottom of my closet even at home.

I just needed to get that off my chest but just such a huge waste of space!!!