MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matthews Hall 2010: Introduce yourself! amitoj Matthews Hall Forum 29 04-12-2012 04:15 PM
Matthews silent floor anthony Matthews Hall Forum 27 07-14-2010 06:26 PM
Residence - Matthews Kali Matthews Hall Forum 21 06-24-2010 10:00 PM
Matthews '08 Chad Matthews Hall Forum 12 08-08-2008 09:51 PM
Matthews Hall '07 lorend Matthews Hall Forum 25 09-02-2007 01:15 PM

Matthews Hall '09

Old 06-04-2009 at 01:38 PM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Matthews Hall '09
Welcome to the 2009 MATTHEWS HALL discussion thread!

To view the 2008 thread, click here.

This thread is for all incoming 2009 residents of MATTHEWS HALL. Feel free to share which floor you are on, cheers, welcome week information, or discuss residence-specific topics and get to know others in your residence! Plus if you have any questions related to this specific res, ask them here and we'll help answer them as best we can.

--MacInsiders

Quote:

FACTS
  • Built in 1965, Matthews Hall houses 288 men and women on 4 floors
  • Adjacent to Cootes Paradise on the western edge of campus
  • Rooms house one (single), two (double) or three (bunk and loft) occupants
  • Residents share furnished common rooms/lounges on each floor with cable television
  • Also shared are kitchenette facilities each having, a refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster and kettle (no dishes or cutlery supplied)
  • Laundry facilities, with irons and ironing boards, and study rooms are located in the lower level

peterpan says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 10:53 AM   #2
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

I'm hoping to get into the quiet res. Is it in Matthew's again, this September? Do many people try to get it/ what are my chances? I know it is the lottery system, but how many people try to get in it?
Old 06-27-2009 at 09:36 PM   #3
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

the "quiet" res doesn't really mean anything... most people that get into it didn't even request to be there, and therefore it generally doesn't turn out to be a "quiet" res..
Old 06-27-2009 at 10:32 PM   #4
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

So if I requested it, is it likely I will get my choice?
Old 06-27-2009 at 10:36 PM   #5
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

usually if you request to live on the floor, your chances on getting it are really high. But remember that it is an entire floor and if there is not many people that request to be on that floor, it will be given to students that didn't have a preference. I hope that made sense
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:49 PM   #6
tortorf

Liked: 1 Time

Im in Matthews !!
Old 06-29-2009 at 02:55 PM   #7
hellonewyork

Liked: 27 Times

I'm in Matthews 2nd floor
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:11 PM   #8
peterpan

Hello guys ... residence assignments are definitely exciting =D
For MATTHEWS '09-'10 ... join the OFFICIAL facebook group >>>
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?r...1147716 85930

It's managed by myself, an IRC Hall Rep for next yr as well as other Residence Life staff ... see u all soon!!
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:41 PM   #9
xsanx

Liked: 0 Times

im in mathews!!!
Old 07-02-2009 at 05:53 PM   #10
dericks

Liked: 0 Times

so i just found out im in matthews next year. my friend that lived there last year said the bathroom situation is different than a typical residence because its divided into quads or something? can someone explain? thanks!
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:17 PM   #11
dimoxyel
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dericks View Post
so i just found out im in matthews next year. my friend that lived there last year said the bathroom situation is different than a typical residence because its divided into quads or something? can someone explain? thanks!
Its more the building structure that causes some bathroom confusion. Matthews Hall is divided into three 'towers' by staircases... So you start in, say, North Tower, go through a door, you're in a staircase. Out the door on the other side, you're in Central Tower. Repeat, and you're in East Tower. There are 4 floors to each tower, plus the basement.

Still with me? Okay. Now, on each floor, there are at least two washrooms - one male, one female. (I don't know exactly how many, nor the exact locations). The trick is that the washroom for your gender may or may not be on your floor/tower segment. Ie First floor in North tower may have a male washroom, but not a female washroom. (Again, I don't know the exact designations).

Sooo long story short, your washroom probably won't be as easy to get to as it is at home. But its really not that bad, and meeting people in the hallway en route is a great way to meet people and have random conversations (Yes, I'm serious. Spontaneous hallway conversations are awesome).

So excited to meet you all!
- Your friendly IRC Programming Representative (Peterpan's Co-rep)
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:50 PM   #12
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Yeah guys, honestly don't stress! It'll be okay. This is simply something that makes Matthews unique. When I lived in Whidden I had to run down the stairs to use the washroom and I lost 10 pounds. There is good to be found within all of the inconveniences.
Old 07-09-2009 at 11:01 PM   #13
hellonewyork

Liked: 27 Times

In the virtual tour on the Mac website, the beds in the double room are L shaped... Are all rooms like that?
Old 07-09-2009 at 11:06 PM   #14
dimoxyel
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonewyork View Post
In the virtual tour on the Mac website, the beds in the double room are L shaped... Are all rooms like that?
The room construction varies depending on your location in the building. Some rooms are L-shaped, some are squares.... My room last year was kinda T-shaped (though it wasn't in Matthews).

The beds themselves are all rectangular, though, I can assure you
Old 07-09-2009 at 11:16 PM   #15
peterpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonewyork View Post
the virtual tour shows the generic rooms so most of the beds will be oriented this way ... either out of convenience or to make the room a bit more spacious.
as always, there may be some exceptions here and there