MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offers of Admission Chad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 206 04-25-2013 08:46 PM
Mature Student question(s) reeves First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-09-2009 02:35 AM
Where to get info for application for mature student ? HeatherH General Discussion 8 02-26-2009 03:30 PM
Admission into Artsci? Meritt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-10-2008 03:40 PM
Admission Cut Off Average Daisydawne18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 04-11-2008 08:32 PM

Mature student admission

Old 11-09-2010 at 02:21 PM   #1
tatertots

Liked: 0 Times

Mature student admission
Hi,

Other than the required credits, are there any requirements for admission to McMaster as a mature student?

Does McMaster require a profile that covers your goals/work experience/etc?
Old 11-09-2010 at 02:25 PM   #2
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

You have to present your transcript from high school or it's equivalent, but otherwise, it's just a matter of filling out the application and paying the fee.

tatertots says thanks to jackiemac for this post.
Old 11-09-2010 at 02:38 PM   #3
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I was accepted last year as a mature student, and all I had to do was apply using the mature student application instead of the standard one, and get my old high school transcript to mail in. Once the application was received on the OUAC website, they requested my transcript by mail. That was all I had to do.

tatertots says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 11-09-2010 at 03:09 PM   #4
tatertots

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

I contacted them, and they said that they only want 1 credit (math).

Their website says the same thing. By the way, is it possible to catch up and complete your degree within 4 years by taking summer courses? Can you take summer courses during the first year to add to your 18 units? (which is the limit for a 1st year mature student).
Old 11-09-2010 at 03:14 PM   #5
jackiemac

It is possible, yes. The availability of classes in the summer term isn't great though so be prepared for that if things aren't there when you need them. Otherwise, you'll be fine.
Old 11-09-2010 at 03:24 PM   #6
tatertots

Sorry, it isn't exactly clear what you were replying to.

Is finishing in 4 years realistic if you take summer courses?
Old 11-09-2010 at 03:26 PM   #7
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

I think there are two ways to get in as a mature student. I got in based on my high school (OAC) marks but I have heard of people that don't even have advanced academic standing in high school that managed to get in. They managed through equivalent life and job experience or interview or essay type stuff.

I think the main difference is that while I am older, I am not technically a mature student. I was allowed to carry a full time schedule in first year with no restrictions. Most other mature students I know were only allowed 3 classes a term and were more or less part time. In order to take more they had to academically prove they were able do more and succeed where I seemed to skip that step.

I remember doing OUAC form 105 that's all I remember. I'm not sure if I slipped through the cracks or they just let me in outright rather than going through the backdoor with experience and such. Hopefully other replies will help with the distinctions.

Doing it in 4 years is possible if you don't work. I work full time the main reason I can't do it 4 years is because there is just no way to schedule your classes to make it work. I take more what fits my schedule than what I want and some classes I need I have no choice but to wait until they pop up in the summer or rotate to evening class. Summer classes are very limited so again you would take what's available not what you want. I should be able to do my combined honours degree in 4 1/2 years while working but every day I think I will have to drop a major simply because I will never be able to schedule in that many required courses.

Last edited by darkstar : 11-09-2010 at 03:36 PM.

tatertots says thanks to darkstar for this post.
Old 11-09-2010 at 03:29 PM   #8
jackiemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertots View Post
Sorry, it isn't exactly clear what you were replying to.

Is finishing in 4 years realistic if you take summer courses?
I'm sorry, I confused even me re-reading that reply. :/

Depending on your program (small programs = small class sizes), some of the required classes may not be available in the summer term. Therefore, it may take an extra semester. That said, if you spend a fair bit of time juggling your schedule, it should work.