MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
School and government need to do something about bad living conditions arounds school jacqueda Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 24 05-18-2011 09:34 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Transferring from mac to mcgill savannah123 Academics 6 04-12-2010 09:54 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

McGill Med School

Old 06-13-2011 at 04:05 PM   #1
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

McGill Med School
While researching about med school requirements, I saw this on the Mcgill MD site:

"grades of "Pass/Fail" (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) or of similar schema are not acceptable in coursework; numerical or letter-class grades are required. Academic performance within these course will be considered"

Does this mean that if I take a summer course at another institution, where I will get a pass/fail, it won't be accepted to fulfill the requirements? Or does it just mean that I have to ask that institution for my actual final mark and send that in to McGill?
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:22 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
While researching about med school requirements, I saw this on the Mcgill MD site:

"grades of "Pass/Fail" (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) or of similar schema are not acceptable in coursework; numerical or letter-class grades are required. Academic performance within these course will be considered"

Does this mean that if I take a summer course at another institution, where I will get a pass/fail, it won't be accepted to fulfill the requirements? Or does it just mean that I have to ask that institution for my actual final mark and send that in to McGill?
No, you have to send transcript from all universities you've attended. So unless the course is a pass/fail at that university you'll be fine. So once you are done the course, don't forget to get a transcript (I believe you have to send one to the associate dean if the course has an equivalent at McMaster and you want it to count towards your degree anyway).
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:25 PM   #3
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
No, you have to send transcript from all universities you've attended. So unless the course is a pass/fail at that university you'll be fine. So once you are done the course, don't forget to get a transcript (I believe you have to send one to the associate dean if the course has an equivalent at McMaster and you want it to count towards your degree anyway).
Ohh okay thanks that makes more sense. Do you know whether or not a pass/fail course will still count towards a full course load? Because I have one pass/fail course in second year
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:26 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Ohh okay thanks that makes more sense. Do you know whether or not a pass/fail course will still count towards a full course load? Because I have one pass/fail course in second year
Health Science, I'm pretty sure a full course load is 30 units.
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:27 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Health Science, I'm pretty sure a full course load is 30 units.
I know, but one of my courses in second year is a pass/fail course. So my question is will McGill still count that as a full course load, even though its pass/fail?
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:30 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I know, but one of my courses in second year is a pass/fail course. So my question is will McGill still count that as a full course load, even though its pass/fail?
That's something you should contact McGill about. As far as my understanding goes, a full course load is a full course load.
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:35 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
I would assume it would be, but this is something the Admissions at McGill would have to answer. I don't think anyone would really know how their system works .
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:41 PM   #8
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
It's a full course load bernard, they are just saying that they won't factor in a pass fail course for a prereq if that is necessary. HEALTH, ATTITUDE AND BEHAVIOUR is a not a prereq for any med school, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Whenever in doubt, I remind myself that a considerable number of health science kids get into medical school. So even if some things in the program are confusing (pass/fail courses, all course codes being "HTH SCI") it's gotta work out in the end lol.

Also McGill takes fewer kids from other provinces than it does internationally, i've always wtf'd at that. lol

MichaelScarn says thanks to dumbconsumer for this post.
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:48 PM   #9
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

I'm just getting super frustrated right now researching all the requirements for the med schools I want to apply to
Might not even minor in French anymore because I need to figure out some elective stuff
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:50 PM   #10
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
I'm just getting super frustrated right now researching all the requirements for the med schools I want to apply to
Might not even minor in French anymore because I need to figure out some elective stuff
I still haven't picked my two electives..

This is Sukhpreet [RememberTwce] btw. My original account is banned for a month... -_-'
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:52 PM   #11
dumbconsumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post

This is Sukhpreet [RememberTwce] btw. My original account is banned for a month... -_-'
how/why did you get banned? tell us in a way that won't get you banned again lol
ALSO TYLER DURDEN
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:52 PM   #12
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:

Lmfao why? I was wondering..all your comments were deleted

Picking electives while making sure all the medical school requirements are fulfilled is killing me right now. Some American med schools require a full year of calculus and I only have one semester and I doubt that HTH SCI 2A03 counts. And I just realized Alberta won't accept my English transfer credits so if I want to apply there I'll have to take two English courses
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:54 PM   #13
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:

Picking electives while making sure all the medical school requirements are fulfilled is killing me right now. Some American med schools require a full year of calculus and I only have one semester and I doubt that HTH SCI 2A03 counts. And I just realized Alberta won't accept my English transfer credits so if I want to apply there I'll have to take two English courses
I'm putting off English as much as possible.

I might take another Calc course to finish the full year but nothing seems to work properly in my schedule without creating giant gaps..

And I only have a half year of physics too..not looking forward to 1BB3/1BA3

I'm not sure what post got me the infraction because it got deleted
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:55 PM   #14
dumbconsumer

Quote:

I'm fairly certain, unless otherwise specified, that stats is a valid calc credit, many med schools even say they'd like something like "a year of calculus and statistics" or half a year of each or however they choose to word it.

Also, last night at 5am, I discovered all of the HTH Sci Electives available....hoyl shit.....I went from "wow I can only think of four courses I want to take" to "HOW DO I FIT EVERYTHING IN"

UlteriorMtve likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:57 PM   #15
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm putting off English as much as possible.

I might take another Calc course to finish the full year but nothing seems to work properly in my schedule without creating giant gaps..

And I only have a half year of physics too..not looking forward to 1BB3/1BA3

I'm not sure what post got me the infraction because it got deleted
are you planning on taking 1LT3? what are the times for that course?

lol maybe you shouldn't talk about your other account then