MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
CA applications ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 19 01-13-2011 09:31 PM
McMaster Alzheimer's Society Committee Applications nerual Clubs & Groups 0 09-16-2010 01:56 PM
Late Applications? stevennevets First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-16-2009 09:37 AM
Welcome Week Rep Applications lorend Welcome Week Repping 0 01-12-2008 05:25 PM
RLS Staff Applications lorend Clubs 2 12-28-2007 06:34 PM

McMaster Applications Up Sharply

Old 01-30-2011 at 11:18 PM   #30
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
How does one with an 8.5avrg act?
Like a Boss?

alh24 likes this.

Old 01-30-2011 at 11:46 PM   #31
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Eeverything about your post is just ignorant and ill-informed.
How so? Everything that I mentioned I've experienced countless times in a day. You must be one of the few people at this university who's actually having a good time. Maybe it's just hard for me to fathom people actually enjoying this place and feeling like they're getting their money's worth.

Old 01-30-2011 at 11:51 PM   #32
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
How so? Everything that I mentioned I've experienced countless times in a day. You must be one of the few people at this university who's actually having a good time. Maybe it's just hard for me to fathom people actually enjoying this place and feeling like they're getting their money's worth.
Then shut the **** up and transfer to Western. I love Mac.

justinsftw, L'Étoile all say thanks to bcars for this post.

Old 01-31-2011 at 12:11 AM   #33
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Well for starters, high school is bullshit. There's a reason that people take joke/bird classes their senior year like shop class (not that theres anything wrong with carpentry) to boost their averages.. most people don't even need to work hard to be guaranteed an admission to the school of their choosing if they've got 'nice' teachers. A low mark in HS certainly doesn't mean a person isn't fit for uni, because most people end up bitching about how hard uni is compared to hs, no matter where they fit onto the marks spectrum..

The reason you run into lines in the student centre is because you're missing the fact that theres unused stairwells every 30 feet or so and you're following your classmates for some strange reason.

Stop studying in libraries, thats where books live.

Not sure what you mean by traffic stops.

Lectures have lots of talky people that distract you're in common core classes or just aren't sitting close enough to the front. What does changing the admission average have to do with stopping talky people from coming here?

I've never experienced the internet being down, unless you're referring to MUGSI.. you should have downloaded your time table to your computer anyways. As for lecture notes, I'm assuming you mean avenue (because the internet is always up for me), in which case I don't know what you're talking about because I've always been able to access avenue.
umad?

I don't understand how 'getting my money's worth' is any way related to raising the admissions average? Basically you're throwing out random gripes in an attempt to support your argument.. which is.. that McMaster suxxors?

I don't really care to respond beyond cute/clever one-liners because ignorance isn't really something that is curable by responding on a forum, and anything intelligent usually gets lost behind countless sillyposts what litter this place. I just wanna put that out there in case somebody thinks otherwise.

alh24, anon491 all say thanks to RyanC for this post.

alh24, anon491, taylojl like this.

Old 01-31-2011 at 02:35 AM   #34
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Then he should act like someone who got at least an 8.5 avg...
Act? Everyone has a right to his personal opinion. Learn to respect it and get on with your life. You, on the other hand, are ACTING as if he offended you!

Old 01-31-2011 at 02:46 AM   #35
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
Act? Everyone has a right to his personal opinion. Learn to respect it and get on with your life. You, on the other hand, are ACTING as if he offended you!
To use the word "ignorant" without any backup is ignorance.

There is a lot of people in this campus. Come to my eng classes, shitload of people. I know people from UofT, Waterloo(shitty buildings) and McGuill... they got more people but also more space too.

Lectures hall are filled, so when he said that everything in Needle's post is "ignorant", he's wrong.

Needlenose says thanks to Commander for this post.

Old 01-31-2011 at 03:19 AM   #36
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Well for starters, high school is bullshit. There's a reason that people take joke/bird classes their senior year like shop class (not that theres anything wrong with carpentry) to boost their averages.. most people don't even need to work hard to be guaranteed an admission to the school of their choosing if they've got 'nice' teachers. A low mark in HS certainly doesn't mean a person isn't fit for uni, because most people end up bitching about how hard uni is compared to hs, no matter where they fit onto the marks spectrum..

The reason you run into lines in the student centre is because you're missing the fact that theres unused stairwells every 30 feet or so and you're following your classmates for some strange reason.

Stop studying in libraries, thats where books live.

Not sure what you mean by traffic stops.

Lectures have lots of talky people that distract you're in common core classes or just aren't sitting close enough to the front. What does changing the admission average have to do with stopping talky people from coming here?

I've never experienced the internet being down, unless you're referring to MUGSI.. you should have downloaded your time table to your computer anyways. As for lecture notes, I'm assuming you mean avenue (because the internet is always up for me), in which case I don't know what you're talking about because I've always been able to access avenue.
umad?

I don't understand how 'getting my money's worth' is any way related to raising the admissions average? Basically you're throwing out random gripes in an attempt to support your argument.. which is.. that McMaster suxxors?

I don't really care to respond beyond cute/clever one-liners because ignorance isn't really something that is curable by responding on a forum, and anything intelligent usually gets lost behind countless sillyposts what litter this place. I just wanna put that out there in case somebody thinks otherwise.
High school isn't BS. You get your basic introduction to biology, chemistry, physics, functions, French, etc., in high school. You're being ridiculous when you say that high school marks don't matter. A person who receives A grades in high school has worked considerably harder than someone with a C or B and is more suited for the fast-paced academic life at university. Look at the people who generall do well in university and you will find that nearly all of them excelled in high school. This is why every university has a cut-off average, with highly regarded universities and programs having considerably higher cut-off averages.

I don't follow my classmates into the student centre, and I always use the stairs when I have to go upstairs/downstairs. I am talking about the times when you need to get food from the student centre or pass through there in order to take a shortcut or avoid walking through the cold. The majority of the time when you do pass through, it's incredibly crowded.

I never said I studied in libraries. I live on residence and my room is more than excellent for studying. However, I do sometimes need to use the library computers for printing and the space in the library for group projects. I can't tell you how difficult it is to find a working computer or a space for group study in the library.

About the lectures: When you're in a class of 300-600 people, it's a little hard to concentrate, no matter where you sit. People will talk, thinking that their voice won't carry in such a large room. A whole bunch of people whispering at the same time creates a lot of distraction. Increasing the cut-off average won't keep talkative people away, but if it reduces the number of students accepted into a program, and as result, decreases the class size for a particular class in that program, it may help.

I live on residence, and the internet is down 50% or more of the time. Just look at all the posts complaining about connection problems. When second term started, there was a period when you couldn't access your timetable at all. Even the Master timetable site wasn't working.

My point is that this university is way too crowded, and it seems to be getting more crowded every year, though I don't know why. Maybe increasing the admission averages will curb the number of students attending this school. I never said that McMaster sucks. It certainly has a lot of problems though, and I don't see what's wrong with addressing them. Unfortunately, the university doesn't care about student experience - it wants to recruit as many people as possible for the limited resources it has. Maybe you've had a good experience so far - and I envy you for that - but the university experience is definitely declining for some of us, especially for those of us in Science. It’s ignorant of you to dismiss me so just because I’ve hadn’t had the fortune of having the same experience as you.

Last edited by Needlenose : 01-31-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Old 01-31-2011 at 07:10 AM   #37
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
If you haven't noticed, behind Mac (near the parking lots and adl) there is LOTS of room to expand. Plus there is also room near cootes as well.

Also, expansion can just mean creating larger residences, or making more underground parking garages.
The land you just described is actually part of the royal botanical gardens and is protected land. I.e. Expanding the main campus outwards is legally not an option.

I agree that we could just expand the residences, however I'm not sure how structurally stable it would be to add new floors to residences that are 50+ years old...

Old 01-31-2011 at 08:50 AM   #38
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
McMaster has more than 21 000 students - I think that's even more than U of T!
This is where I stopped reading. UofT St. George alone has over 32000 undergrads.

Old 01-31-2011 at 11:37 AM   #39
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
Quote:
High school isn't BS. You get your basic introduction to biology, chemistry, physics, functions, French, etc., in high school. You're being ridiculous when you say that high school marks don't matter. A person who receives A grades in high school has worked considerably harder than someone with a C or B and is more suited for the fast-paced academic life at university. Look at the people who generall do well in university and you will find that nearly all of them excelled in high school. This is why every university has a cut-off average, with highly regarded universities and programs having considerably higher cut-off averages.
Alright, I'll bite, if you're trolling you win... but I get the impression you genuinely believe what you're saying, which makes you a complete idiot.

High school is, in comparison to a post-secondary education, BS. If it really mattered that much, why don't companies go and request your high school audit? Because people change. I know a few people that came into university with scholarships and 95% averages and flunked out. Marks are a poor reflection of one's motivation. I actually think that people with lower grades would have equal motivation in university, because those with top high school grades are having most of their education paid for and don't feel the same value as someone like me who has mediocre high school marks but is paying out of his ass with debt. I work my ass off in university, and I did pretty lame in high school. The same can be said for a lot of people. High school is a poor reflection of what to expect in university.

Also, go and get some data for these schools that supposedly all have higher entrance averages. They don't. We're pretty much average, except our Health Science and Nursing programs which have very high entrance averages. Commerce also has a relatively high entrance average at 84% (which to the best of my knowledge is only bested by York and Queen's; Western's Ivey only starts in 3rd year so your high school marks mean nothing if you did well in your first two years of Uni.)
Quote:
I don't follow my classmates into the student centre, and I always use the stairs when I have to go upstairs/downstairs. I am talking about the times when you need to get food from the student centre or pass through there in order to take a shortcut or avoid walking through the cold. The majority of the time when you do pass through, it's incredibly crowded.
Have you ever been to another major campus when its busy? You sound more anti-social than you do informed.
Quote:
I never said I studied in libraries. I live on residence and my room is more than excellent for studying. However, I do sometimes need to use the library computers for printing and the space in the library for group projects. I can't tell you how difficult it is to find a working computer or a space for group study in the library.
That's why there's the 15 minute use computers, which are almost always free. Try going to Innis or Health Sci... there's enough printers to go around. I've never had a problem. You could also try investing in your own printer, which costs you a whopping $40 from Titles, and the cost per page is obviously several times lower than from the actual library.
Quote:
About the lectures: When you're in a class of 300-600 people, it's a little hard to concentrate, no matter where you sit. People will talk, thinking that their voice won't carry in such a large room. A whole bunch of people whispering at the same time creates a lot of distraction. Increasing the cut-off average won't keep talkative people away, but if it reduces the number of students accepted into a program, and as result, decreases the class size for a particular class in that program, it may help.
You sounded relatively smart until now... this is just completely ignorant. Those big classes aren't the only core sections. Take Chem 1A03, or Econ 1B03... there are multiple sections all in MDCL 1305 which is a 500+ person lecture hall. If you reduce the number of students, it won't reduce the class crowdedness, it will only reduce the number of sections offered which is actually worse because then it will be harder for you to find class times to suit your timetable. Or, alternatively, instead of assigning a large room for a small class so it's not as crowded, you'll just be compacted into a smaller room. You won't escape the crowdiness, and that's how it works at all universities. Your argument here is awful.
Quote:
I live on residence, and the internet is down 50% or more of the time. Just look at all the posts complaining about connection problems. When second term started, there was a period when you couldn't access your timetable at all. Even the Master timetable site wasn't working.
What?! 50% or more of the time? I live on residence too and I have no idea where you pulled this from. I think the internet on residence has been down twice this year, and for no more than a couple hours. Even Avenue has been respectable, considering we had to put up with ELM last year which was a catastrophe. When 2nd term started, timetables were down for less than a day, starting the night before first class... did you never think to look up your timetable sometime other than the night before? "Oh, it's 10 pm on Sunday night... I wonder if I have a class tomorrow at 8:30 AM?" Give me a break, holy cow.
Quote:
My point is that this university is way too crowded, and it seems to be getting more crowded every year, though I don't know why. Maybe increasing the admission averages will curb the number of students attending this school. I never said that McMaster sucks. It certainly has a lot of problems though, and I don't see what's wrong with addressing them. Unfortunately, the university doesn't care about student experience - it wants to recruit as many people as possible for the limited resources it has. Maybe you've had a good experience so far - and I envy you for that - but the university experience is definitely declining for some of us, especially for those of us in Science. It’s ignorant of you to dismiss me so just because I’ve hadn’t had the fortune of having the same experience as you.
I really don't think the university has that much of an overcrowding problem... none of your arguments are coherent at all. It's the same at other schools. Welcome to university. Do you think Harvard just has these wide open spaces, with luxurious classrooms where you have 10 feet of footroom and nobody talks in classes, and there's no crowded space anywhere? That's not the case at all, I have a friend who goes there... so please give your head a shake before you open your mouth again because I almost regret making the effort to analyze your post, because it was just so incredibly ill-informed.

Old 01-31-2011 at 11:55 AM   #40
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times
Cool, posts being deleted with no reason and kids that are mad. My favourite kind of thread.

Old 02-02-2011 at 07:07 PM   #41
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times
High school is small peanuts comparatively. Not only because the basic introduction to most subjects in high school (such as physics or chem) could easily be done in one course in university, but also because despite the standardized curriculum, learning standards vary so widely that universities practically re-teach grade 12 in first year so that everyone is on the same page.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search