MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Arms Association Mazer General Discussion 77 01-24-2012 06:18 PM
McMaster Undergraduate Research in Science Association (MURSA) mac-lover General Discussion 25 09-19-2011 03:56 PM
McMaster Association of Lyme Disease Awareness terrafirma Clubs & Groups 0 09-03-2011 11:21 PM
McMaster Undergraduate Research in Science Association (MURSA) mac-lover Introduce Yourself 0 08-20-2011 12:18 AM
Aanii/She:kon from the McMaster First Nations Student Association MFNSA Introduce Yourself 2 08-25-2010 09:34 AM

McMaster Association of Lyme Disease Awareness

Old 09-03-2011 at 11:30 PM   #1
terrafirma

Liked: 48 Times

McMaster Association of Lyme Disease Awareness
Imagine this: it’s summer and you’ve just got back from a camping trip. You discover a large rash on your leg. You brush it off, thinking it’s normal. Fast forward a few months, you are plagued by a series of systemic symptoms: headaches, brain fog, joint pain, muscle ache, etc. to the point that you may need to use a wheelchair. You go to doctors, but they always refuse to treat you. All the tests come back normal and they say, “You are fine. It’s all in your head.” And even if they acknowledge your disease, their hands are tied. You find yourself crippled in bed, hoping for an answer, wishing for your life back.

Think this is far-fetched? NO. This is what happens to an estimate of over 200,000 people annually in North America. They have Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease is the leading vector borne illness in our continent, yet it is easily preventable. It may silently become the next epidemic, but continues to be blind-sighted by the medical community. Let’s take action now: join the McMaster Association for Lyme Disease Awareness to spread the word about Lyme.

Visit us at Clubfest in front of La Piazza to learn more, as well as to sign up for volunteering opportunities! Officer positions are available.

For more information, contact: [email protected]

Desda says thanks to terrafirma for this post.

Cliu91 likes this.
Old 09-04-2011 at 02:10 AM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

I'm in! Remind me though, yell at me if you see me walking by during clubfest.
Old 09-04-2011 at 06:17 AM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Good god, best trolling EVER.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

macsci, _Luu_ like this.
Old 09-04-2011 at 10:25 AM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

i cant tell if your kidding or not haha, is this an actual club
Old 09-04-2011 at 11:42 AM   #5
mac-lover

Liked: 15 Times

why would they be trolling =S =S?
Old 09-04-2011 at 11:45 AM   #6
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Good god, best trolling EVER.
I hope you're being sarcastic...she wouldn't put that much work into a poster for a joke...

mac-lover likes this.
Old 09-04-2011 at 06:10 PM   #7
terrafirma

It's a legit club. And the disease is pretty serious too. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002296/

I highly encourage everyone to come to our table at clubfest to learn more!

Desda says thanks to terrafirma for this post.
Old 09-04-2011 at 08:17 PM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

i would love to know why you started this club, any background history with it, or just cus you heard of it and thought it would be interesting, also are you the prez and do you already have an exec team, and umm what exactly do you do in this club?
Old 09-04-2011 at 09:10 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Would be interested in knowing what this club plans to do. It is an important issue though. A lot of people I know have gone camping that have never been through a program that would teach about how to avoid ticks.
Old 09-04-2011 at 09:39 PM   #10
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic...she wouldn't put that much work into a poster for a joke...
It's a pretty decent poster. Way to go, Terra!

terrafirma says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 09-04-2011 at 10:12 PM   #11
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

What I learned today: don't go camping anymore.

Gonna come to this table to meet terrafirma!

terrafirma likes this.
Old 09-05-2011 at 06:36 AM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
That's what makes it so believable.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-07-2011 at 11:00 PM   #13
terrafirma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
i would love to know why you started this club, any background history with it, or just cus you heard of it and thought it would be interesting, also are you the prez and do you already have an exec team, and umm what exactly do you do in this club?
We started this club because one of our members has first-hand experience dealing with the disease, including the difficulty involved in getting a diagnosis and treatment because the seriousness of the disease is often downplayed or ignored. She essentially had to diagnose herself and go through many skeptical doctors before getting appropriate treatment, and still has to deal with lingering symptoms today.

This is a recurrent issue with people who get this disease and it can affect anyone, so it is extremely important to raise awareness for this issue.

I'm the VP of communications, and you can talk to me and other execs at clubfest tomorrow if you have any questions! We have the core exec team but are looking for officers (this can go on your resume) that can help us with volunteering events, get to attend conferences, and other club initiatives.

If you don't see us at clubfest tomorrow, feel free to email us at [email protected] if you are interested in being a part of our team.
Old 09-07-2011 at 11:30 PM   #14
terrafirma

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Would be interested in knowing what this club plans to do. It is an important issue though. A lot of people I know have gone camping that have never been through a program that would teach about how to avoid ticks.
Hi Alasdair,

Thanks for your interest!

We plan to:
-collect signatures for a Lyme petition started by MPP Bob Bailey
-host a film screening of the documentary "Under Our Skin"
-host events for guest speakers
-attend conferences to participate in the discussion
-increase awareness of Lyme Disease in a multitude of other ways
-ensure that every single person at McMaster knows of this disease, to increase each person's individual safety as well as understanding those who suffer from it

If you are interested in becoming an officer, be sure to sign up at our table tomorrow, or email [email protected]
Old 10-12-2011 at 08:01 AM   #15
garveygirl2

Liked: 1 Time

Greetings everyone, new to the post and not a student at McM , but someone who believes she is suffering from Lyme. I have been sufffering from the symptoms for almost 6 weeks now (strangely after a visit to VA where Lyme is endemic). I also live in Muskoka. However, still receive blank looks and dismissals from my gp to the respiralogist to the rheumatotgist. I figure you have heard of www.ilads.org website which I have found helpful. Persuiing treatment in the US.As you know expensive and time comsuming. Thank you for setting up MALDA. It is so reassuring. It is tough trying to be your own advocate when you feel lousy. Peace

terrafirma likes this.